Why Australia is great

VeloFlash said:
Nice and warm to hot in Rockhampton this time of year (our winter). The Aussie Olympic track cycling squad is currently training there to simulate the Athens hot climate.

Rockhampton is in Queensland which is also our red neck state. Ultra conservative. You turn your clocks back 20 years when you cross the border. They refuse to adjust for daylight saving (they claim it affects the dairy cows milking and the extra hour of sunlight accelerates the fading of curtains and paintwork).

You had better ask your friend, if a local, if they are married to their sibling :)
Perhaps it wold be better to describe QLD. as the most
polarised state.There is certainly a very vigorous opposition to the sort of place you describe.
Couldn't marry a girl with seven toes,no matter how close we were as kids! :)

VeloFlash said:
Nice and warm to hot in Rockhampton this time of year (our winter). The Aussie Olympic track cycling squad is currently training there to simulate the Athens hot climate.

Rockhampton is in Queensland which is also our red neck state. Ultra conservative. You turn your clocks back 20 years when you cross the border. They refuse to adjust for daylight saving (they claim it affects the dairy cows milking and the extra hour of sunlight accelerates the fading of curtains and paintwork).

You had better ask your friend, if a local, if they are married to their sibling :)
Perhaps it wold be better to describe QLD. as the most
polarised state.There is certainly a very vigorous opposition to the sort of place you describe.
Couldn't marry a girl with seven toes,no matter how close we were as kids! :)

Come to Melbourne Thats where the flavour is . You can put your bike on the train and get off in the city, country, rivers, mountains, forest, shopping centre, beach and everything in between and on sunday this will cost $2.50 All dayThe capital bike trail is a good one where parts of the trail goes above the river and along on pontoons and bridges in a park setting. This is a good one to do in the moonlight. Do come October November is fine and mild spring weather, You could visitvic.com Good bike paths , bike lanes rail trails and etc etc

Come to Melbourne Thats where the flavour is . You can put your bike on the train and get off in the city, country, rivers, mountains, forest, shopping centre, beach and everything in between and on sunday this will cost $2.50 All dayThe capital bike trail is a good one where parts of the trail goes above the river and along on pontoons and bridges in a park setting. This is a good one to do in the moonlight. Do come October November is fine and mild spring weather, You could visitvic.com Good bike paths , bike lanes rail trails and etc etc

keifer said:
Come to Melbourne Thats where the flavour is
So why are all the southerners moving to Qld :confused: I know, coz it's a great to place to be, with great weather, great beaches, great surfing (not that I surf, lol) :D

davidmc said:
Why the derogatory reference
I don't think it was meant to be derogatory.

VeloFlash said:
European Australia is only 216 years young.

Australia is the world’s largest island and the only country which is also a whole continent.

Unlike other continents, we share no borders. We have not been invaded. We have not experienced a civil war. This is reflected in the national psyche. As there has been no past conflict, we bear no animosities or grudges relating to historical events. We are laid back and easy going. Come in and have a beer.

And if you appreciate the outdoors, Australia has over 7,000 beaches with the weather to match.

And if you cycle, you can do it all year round.
Now, I'm "officially" jealous :rolleyes: No, seriously, I envy you in many respects :)

davidmc said:
Why the derogatory reference :confused:
He wasn't having a go at you, more like having a go at how we speak. :D

Try saying "American" while holding your mouth almost closed without your lips moving (to keep the flies and dust out). Reduce it to the minimum number of syllables - try 2 syllables. "American" becomes " 'merican" which becomes "'mercan" which is re-spelled "merkin".

That the word "merkin" has another meaning which has some connection to matters sexual is but a bonus to people who have a robust and occasionally ribald sense of humour.

The alternative, of course, is "Septic" or "Septic Tank" which rhymes with "Yank", and which, in all the circumstances, is probably worse than being a merkin. :D :D :D

Steve(everyone gets a nickname)A

i believe its Bush's pet name for the population of the USA, himself included.

SteveA said:
That the word "merkin" has another meaning which has some connection to matters sexual is but a bonus to people who have a robust and occasionally ribald sense of humour.

SteveA said:

Steve(everyone gets a nickname)A
Thats the reference that some America haters on the soapbox have used in the past. I do envy you fellows in that, according to a quote from an australian, "We (australians) were lucky, we got the convicts & you (Americans) got the religious fundamentalist's :rolleyes: Given the recent rise of religion in our political arena, would you care to make a trade inre: the abovementioned quote :confused:

MountainPro said:
i believe its Bush's pet name for the population of the USA, himself included.
Him & the rest of the non-english speaking red-stater's :rolleyes: No wonder we are universally hated by the rest of the civilized world ;)

cuervo said:
Australia has a special magnet for me.

That little continent, that huge island, those amazing reefs, those amazing reefs populated with white sharks, the unique animal species, the incredible outdoors, the Opera House, Sydney, Pert, the friendly people .... and a lot more

I only hope I can go there some day and stay enough to make some road and mountain biking with some AMIGOS.
G'day mate, don't just think about it.DO IT. you are welcome. [email protected] Broken Hill N/W NSW Australia

We have got the worlds.. wat top 9, 10 most dangerous snakes in the world?
They come out to play at night as well...

Nocturnal bush walking...

They say "mate", they get all the best cars (Skylines, Falcons, ect.) They're an island = extra cool points, um..... they're not the US, they seem to mind their own buisiness usually, they have big beer cans, and kangaroos of course