Why can't car driver's and bike riders just get along?

dougadam

Sep 29, 2005
I was waiting for the bus, and a man on a pedal bike was riding down the side of a four lane road. A car came up behind him honking his horn. This went on until the man on the bike went up on the curb.

This was a four lain road with little traffic.

I just don't know why peaple are like this.

Reactions: haleylx4
Some people just turn into ugly monsters when they get behind the wheel... I was with a friend yesterday (we were headed to a bicycle race coincidentally - but we were in a car) and she was driving in the carpool lane, which on this highway is all the way to the left. There was a car ahead of us, pretty much doing the speed limit. Some deranged jerk comes weaving through traffic, pulls in behind them, and proceeds to tailgate. When they don't move out of his way, he pulls alongside, gives them the finger, then pulls in front of them and slams on the brakes! It's amazing that there was not an accident. I wish I had been paying more attention and taken note of the guys plate# so that I could have called him in for road rage.

Riders won't get respect until they start packin. You don't hear many horns in St Louis because it usually gets you shot, it could work for bikers too.

On one travel workout ride in Houston 3 car drivers told me to get off the road!

Since I don't have Chicago's Lake Shore Drive to do a long distance ride, I now do it in the city with my decked out Trek Pilot 2.1 Spa with a Polar powermeter, 2 Jandd Commuter Panniers, and ceramic bearing Ksyrium Sls. I now combine a workout with shopping! So now my Trek Pilot 2.1 SPA is my favorite long distance ride bike, not my other 6 road bikes!

JTE83 said:
On one travel workout ride in Houston 3 car drivers told me to get off the road!

Since I don't have Chicago's Lake Shore Drive to do a long distance ride, I now do it in the city with my decked out Trek Pilot 2.1 Spa with a Polar powermeter, 2 Jandd Commuter Panniers, and ceramic bearing Ksyrium Sls. I now combine a workout with shopping! So now my Trek Pilot 2.1 SPA is my favorite long distance ride bike, not my other 6 road bikes!
Okay... what's a "travel workout ride" JTE?

Wow, you got lots of great bikes with cool features. Why didn't you tell us earlier?... :rolleyes:

JTE83 said:

Do you HAVE to boast about your bike collection or the other gadgets that you own in every post???

TheDarkLord said:
Do you HAVE to boast about your bike collection or the other gadgets that you own in every post???
Well he tells us he works at NASA, but somehow I don't think he is a rocket scientist...

Stlblues - Are you suggesting that we carry a gun?

Do people think that if a couple of motorists are shot by cyclists, then we would get more respect? Just curious... I'm not baiting.

I live in the road rage capital of the world...New Jersey and I have yet to have any bad incidents with drivers (jinx noted BTW:D ). That being said, it boggles my mind that people would act in such ways over 8 or 9 seconds in the course of their day. What else I find mind-boggling is that dougadam actually posted something about cycling:p :D .

Because they are all human. Human beings start wars at the national level and run each other to the ground on roads. :eek:

sogood said:
Because they are all human. Human beings start wars at the national level and run each other to the ground on roads. :eek:

That about sums it up. +1.

baj32161 said:
What else I find mind-boggling is that dougadam actually posted something about cycling:p :D .
We should enshrine this thread for that reason alone. This may be a sign of the apocalypse.

Crankyfeet said:
Okay... what's a "travel workout ride" JTE?

Wow, you got lots of great bikes with cool features. Why didn't you tell us earlier?... :rolleyes:

I work at Jacobs.com, which does NASA related contract jobs for the Space Shuttle, Space Station, etc. People get paid well here. A coworker that's just a Designer with 15 years experience drives a base model Porsche 911 2002 used for $50K.

A travel ride - ride using my bike to save gas for errands like picking up my prescriptions.

A workout - just biking continuosly for the exercise.

A travel workout - I combine stopping by errands or interesting places to shop going long distance, getting a workout in the process, but I end up biking all in the streets. So I feel I'm a nuisance to cars.

My last long distance travel workout was only 36 miles, but I got to see a lot of places in Houston. Problem is public transportation here sucks so I'm toast if my bike breaks down. Like running into upright nails in the street punching big unrepairable holes in your tires - this happened to me in Chicago but the bus with bike racks took me home cheap.

My 7 road bikes -
2006 Cf Cervelo Soloist Team
2004 AL Cervelo Soloist Team
2005 Kestrel Talon
2006 Raleigh Prestige
2005 Giant OCR 1 [commuter bike]
2007 Trek Pilot 2.1 Spa [travel workout bike]
2002 Giant TCR Aero 2

All have powermeters except for the OCR 1, which is now my cheap sacrifical winter commuter bike. It partly corroded from winter salt so I had a hard time selling it [didn't try well] but decided to keep it if I don't get more than $650 for it without rack and panniers.

I do travel workout rides in Houston because Houston Parks are a boring place to ride compared to Chicago's awesome Lake Shore Drive Bike Path. After work I do workouts in a criterium like circular path near my APT - it's 1.3 miles a loop.

Crankyfeet said:
Well he tells us he works at NASA, but somehow I don't think he is a rocket scientist...

Stlblues - Are you suggesting that we carry a gun?

Do people think that if a couple of motorists are shot by cyclists, then we would get more respect? Just curious... I'm not baiting.

I'm a well paid Proe Designer / Detailer here. Hopefully they will give me Mechanical Engineering work here and mentor me too, one Sr Eng here is open to that. Then I'll really make big bucks. I'm learning stuff while going along as a Designer though. I wish I was a highly successful SR Eng so I can make big bucks, but I'm not.

Oh, yeah, I like carrying my mpg digits to lots of significant digits...

JTE83 said:
I work at Jacobs.com, which does NASA related contract jobs for the Space Shuttle, Space Station, etc. People get paid well here. A coworker that's just a Designer with 15 years experience drives a base model Porsche 911 2002 used for $50K.

A travel ride - ride using my bike to save gas for errands like picking up my prescriptions.

A workout - just biking continuosly for the exercise.

A travel workout - I combine stopping by errands or interesting places to shop going long distance, getting a workout in the process, but I end up biking all in the streets. So I feel I'm a nuisance to cars.

My last long distance travel workout was only 36 miles, but I got to see a lot of places in Houston. Problem is public transportation here sucks so I'm toast if my bike breaks down. Like running into upright nails in the street punching big unrepairable holes in your tires - this happened to me in Chicago but the bus with bike racks took me home cheap.

My 7 road bikes -
2006 Cf Cervelo Soloist Team
2004 AL Cervelo Soloist Team
2005 Kestrel Talon
2006 Raleigh Prestige
2005 Giant OCR 1 [commuter bike]
2007 Trek Pilot 2.1 Spa [travel workout bike]
2002 Giant TCR Aero 2

All have powermeters except for the OCR 1, which is now my cheap sacrifical winter commuter bike. It partly corroded from winter salt so I had a hard time selling it [didn't try well] but decided to keep it if I don't get more than $650 for it without rack and panniers.

I do travel workout rides in Houston because Houston Parks are a boring place to ride compared to Chicago's awesome Lake Shore Drive Bike Path. After work I do workouts in a criterium like circular path near my APT - it's 1.3 miles a loop.
Wow... Cool bike collection... Can you tell me what components/groupsets you got on them and their approximate eBay value? Actually that might be unfair to the OP. Maybe you could start a new thread with all the info on your collection.

JTE - you shouldn't feel a nuisance whan you bike on the streets. Just don't yell at those guys in the big pickups in Houston. They sometimes carry shotguns with them. You near Rice U and Hermann Park?

Hey Crankfeet, I'll start a new thread titled: Brag about you bike collection here! I'll give a short decription of my 15 bikes!

What bikes do you have and what do you do for a living?

I'm in Medical Center near the 288 and 610, just 3 -4 miles from Herman Park, but this park can't compare to Chicago's LSD! I only have 3 bike with me while I temporarily live in Houston for my Recession proof job!

Gee, I wish I had 15 bikes, had two till my son took over my Mt bike, gotta get a new one this summer. Just got a road bike, I'd have more but I have too many other sports to distribute the funds to. If I sold my hockey gear I could buy a nice bike, but its harder to hurt others while biking.

Crankyfeet said:
Wow... Cool bike collection... Can you tell me what components/groupsets you got on them and their approximate eBay value? Actually that might be unfair to the OP. Maybe you could start a new thread with all the info on your collection.

JTE - you shouldn't feel a nuisance whan you bike on the streets. Just don't yell at those guys in the big pickups in Houston. They sometimes carry shotguns with them. You near Rice U and Hermann Park?

I don't think I have owned 15 bikes in my entire life. My alltime favorite is the guy who must speed up to get in front of you 30 feet from a stop sign. Thanks BUD(that's what they are called in Houston I think), what I really wanted was for you to make me break my rhythm then get to smell your exhaust. By the way are all 15 bikes ridden on a regular basis, what is the color of each, are any signed by a pro team rider, and do you ever forget which bike you are on while you are riding it. You know like when you pull the 9 iron thinking it is the 6?

JTE83 said:
Hey Crankfeet, I'll start a new thread titled: Brag about you bike collection here! I'll give a short decription of my 15 bikes!

What bikes do you have and what do you do for a living?

I'm in Medical Center near the 288 and 610, just 3 -4 miles from Herman Park, but this park can't compare to Chicago's LSD! I only have 3 bike with me while I temporarily live in Houston for my Recession proof job!
I have one bike. A Specialized Roubaix. But I'm building up a race machine as we speak. ATM I'm doing frame research... :) I'm at the stage of my life when I'm prepared to spend money on performance (hey... your bike never loses fitness... ;) ), just so I can increase my chances of hanging on to a cat 4 peloton... :p

My job is either: unemployed, retired, or international man of leisure... depending on how attractive the person is who asks the question.

Well yeah they do turn into monsters. They worship it and think they are so powerful behind the wheel. How dumb and weak they actually look is what is funny. Some people are kind of clueless and just look for power anywhere they can find it. Especially if they feel they really have none.