Why can't car driver's and bike riders just get along?

Why can't cats and dogs get along?
Why can't ships and the ground get along?
Why can't Palestine and Israel get along?

Like cyclists and motorists, they are always gonna be enemies I think with very few exceptions.

Its amazing how driving can turn people into psychopaths, even the most mild-mannered people can go crazy over the slightest little thing. Modern driving on congested roads is stressful and energy-sapping. The unfortunate victims of this sort of behaviour are often motor-bikes and cycles, because they are the least protected. I'm fortunate enough to live in a town that has plenty of cycle-paths, its worth a look to see if your area has similar facilities, they're a lot safer than the open road. If you're forced to be on the road, alertness is the key, treat every car near you as if its being driven by a blind idiot and you will be minimising the risks. Its a sad truth that in the midst of heavy traffic, and split-second decisions, drivers often just completely fail to spot a bike, so cyclists have to have extra awareness to make up for it. Always wear a helmet when on the road and avoid heavy traffic roads and rush-hours if you are able. Cycling on roads will always be potentially dangerous, but we can minimise the risks to ourselves by not acting like some drivers do and concentrating on awareness of whats around us.

I think when people get aggressive behind the wheel, it's very similar to the way some people get aggressive and mean when they're posting online. There's that feeling that you're in your own little bubble and can do/say whatever you want because the people on the receiving end aren't really 'real' in that there's rarely any actual personal interaction or consequences for being a jerk. Obviously this gets way more dangerous when the aggressor is driving and the target of their anger is on a bike.

My experiences as a passenger make me feel as though part of it is that when you're driving, it's kind of scary to have cyclists around. You have to be more careful and you're more worried than you would be in normal traffic. Some people react to being scared or nervous by getting angry, so I think that also contributes.

I'm both a cyclist and a car driver. My experience with folks that have never ridden a bike is that they have no idea of the dangers the average cyclist faces on the roads. They feel comfortable and safe sitting in their brand new SUV or sedan. They shut out the rest of the world when they're driving, including pedestrians and cyclists. They pretty much see us as non-entities which explains their arrogant and often dangerous attitude towards us.

This is a good thread in terms of harmony on the road. However, based on what I see in our roads particularly the main roads where 2-wheels abound, that harmony is just a dream. Riders usually move when they see a gap between vehicles and it sometimes cause accidents like a small dent or a scratch on the cars. Naturally, car drivers get irritated and that's the main reason for the indifference. So I guess not until a lane specifically for 2-wheels is installed there would be no harmony on the roads.

Susimi said:
Why can't cats and dogs get along?
Why can't ships and the ground get along?
Why can't Palestine and Israel get along?

Like cyclists and motorists, they are always gonna be enemies I think with very few exceptions.
Very good point and example in my opinion. Like you said there are always going to be enemies and wars as long as there is at least two people on the Earth. If you are alone then it is hard to fight with anyone.

It's because drivers think they're so entitled. They don't have any consideration for anyone much less someone on a bike.

As a driver who follows the rules and a cyclist who follows the rules. I will say there are too many cyclists out there who do stupid sheot that pisses off the drivers. I've had my share of cyclists hopping onto a sidewalk then flying through a crosswalk at high speeds startling an unsuspecting driver.

The problem is cyclists want to be considered a vehicle with equal rights when it is convenient. Then when they see a chance, they want to change the rules and play by an entirely different set of rules.

I've seen them hop on sidewalks and bike trails, and mtn bike trails and practically plow down hikers and pedestrians hen the rules are posted and clearly state peds have the right of way.

While cycling on the road myself, I have almost been plowed by 2 cyclists withing a 2 month span. Both times after waiting my turn at a 4 way stop I begin my take off just when some idiot cyclist blows between cars at a high rate of speed with no consideration to the stop signs or traffic.

The wife and I follow the traffic rules on the road and are treated with nothing but respect and often given the right of way by drivers. My thoughts are that 90% of the cyclist whining about rude drivers have done something to ******** the drivers. Some cyclists are downright rude, some are downright a holes and some are downright stupid.

Of course there are drivers who are downright a holes too but from what I have seen, cyclist set themselves up for this type of behavior with their idiotic cycling habits. I have done forum rides with forum members who constantly whine about driver behavior. Btu once on the ride with them, I can see why drivers treat them like ****, their riding habits suck! Down right stupid and inconsiderate and I bet many of them don't even understand that they have terrible riding skills.

It is so sad that driver and riders just can't get along all the time. I think it's because people continue to be selfish on the road. If they are going to get along someone will have to be willing to compromise. In the meantime riders will have to keep being careful.