Why can't some 'bents climb?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Sbtypesetter, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. Sbtypesetter

    Sbtypesetter Guest

    I've heard that the Vision and the Cobra can climb while others can't. True? What consitiutes a good
    climber and why?

    -Rick

    Tags:

  2. Larry Varney

    Larry Varney Guest

    Sbtypesetter wrote:
    > I've heard that the Vision and the Cobra can climb while others can't. True? What consitiutes a
    > good climber and why?
    >
    > -Rick

    False. A good climber requires stability, efficiency, and a strong engine. If it wobbles or
    flexes, it's not going to climb well. But if the engine is weak, then nothing can overcome that.
    Lighter is better, of course, but that's true for walking, running or any other forms of
    propulsion, and not just climbing hills with bikes. Same goes for traction. Lose that, and you're
    not going to climb (or do much of anything else) well.

    --
    Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  3. Steve Fox

    Steve Fox Guest

    Advice for you and others contemplating recumbents and climbing: pay
    little attention to what you "hear." Try them yourself! :)

    Steve

    --
    Steve Fox McKinleyville, CA http://Steve2004.crazyguyonabike.com

    O \ _____,%) (*)-'------------(*)

  4. Echoing Larry's reply - it is usually the engine and not the bent that is the hill limiting factor.
    However, having offered that opinion, on the other side of the fence, I am also riding an old
    Raleigh Clubman, with upright bars, Brooks suspension saddle and a 40 inch low gear, and I clearly
    do climb faster on this than on my VRex ... and with all the crap I carry, there is not a
    significant weight difference between the 2 bikes. This speaks volumes for the advantages of being
    able to change the mechanical relationship between the rider and pedals. In other words, sliding
    forward on the saddle to help in seated climbing, or, being able to stand and honk to take advantage
    of different muscle groups. Jon Shinefeld Philadelphia, PA 2001 VRex 1997 Stumpjumper - currently
    still dressed in studded Nokian tires 1982 ish Raleigh Clubman, Carradice and all.

    "Sbtypesetter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    m05.aol.com...
    > I've heard that the Vision and the Cobra can climb while others can't. True? What consitiutes a
    > good climber and why?
    >
    > -Rick

  5. Peter Sichel

    Peter Sichel Guest

    On 2004-02-29 12:25:45 -0500, [email protected] (Sbtypesetter) said:

    > I've heard that the Vision and the Cobra can climb while others can't. True? What consitiutes a
    > good climber and why?

    It is true that some bents climb better than others, but I wouldn't jump to the Vision and the Cobra
    as the only good climbers. Try some and decide for yourself.

    In general, good climbers are lightweight and efficient. Efficiency comes in part from stability
    including a stiff frame and good tires. I prefer a solid rear triangle. As for weight, my bike
    become a much better climber after I lost 10 lbs. To borrow a phrase, it's not about the bike.

    - Peter

  6. We know that all engines are different and that "it's" .... "not about the bike" ! It would ve nice
    if these discussions would limit themselves to which "bike" is a better climber. I believe this the
    question asked.

    Regards Chris

    Jon Shinefeld wrote:
    > Echoing Larry's reply - it is usually the engine and not the bent that is the hill limiting
    > factor. However, having offered that opinion, on the other side of the fence, I am also riding an
    > old Raleigh Clubman, with upright bars, Brooks suspension saddle and a 40 inch low gear, and I
    > clearly do climb faster on this than on my VRex ... and with all the crap I carry, there is not a
    > significant weight difference between the 2 bikes. This speaks volumes for the advantages of being
    > able to change the mechanical relationship between the rider and pedals. In other words, sliding
    > forward on the saddle to help in seated climbing, or, being able to stand and honk to take
    > advantage of different muscle groups. Jon Shinefeld Philadelphia, PA 2001 VRex 1997 Stumpjumper -
    > currently still dressed in studded Nokian tires 1982 ish Raleigh Clubman, Carradice and all.
    >
    > "Sbtypesetter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > m05.aol.com...
    >
    >>I've heard that the Vision and the Cobra can climb while others can't. True? What consitiutes a
    >>good climber and why?
    >>
    >> -Rick

  7. Larry Varney

    Larry Varney Guest

    Chris Crawford wrote:
    > We know that all engines are different and that "it's" .... "not about the bike" ! It would ve
    > nice if these discussions would limit themselves to which "bike" is a better climber. I believe
    > this the question asked.
    >
    > Regards Chris
    >
    > Jon Shinefeld wrote:
    >
    >> Echoing Larry's reply - it is usually the engine and not the bent that is the hill limiting
    >> factor. However, having offered that opinion, on the other side of the fence, I am also riding an
    >> old Raleigh Clubman, with upright bars, Brooks suspension saddle and a 40 inch low gear, and I
    >> clearly do climb faster on this than on my VRex ... and with all the crap I carry, there is not a
    >> significant weight difference between the 2 bikes. This speaks volumes for the advantages of
    >> being able to change the mechanical relationship between the rider and pedals. In other words,
    >> sliding forward on the saddle to help in seated climbing, or, being able to stand and honk to
    >> take advantage of different muscle groups. Jon Shinefeld Philadelphia, PA 2001 VRex 1997
    >> Stumpjumper - currently still dressed in studded Nokian tires 1982 ish Raleigh Clubman, Carradice
    >> and all.
    >>
    >> "Sbtypesetter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >> m05.aol.com...
    >>
    >>> I've heard that the Vision and the Cobra can climb while others can't. True? What consitiutes a
    >>> good climber and why?
    >>>
    >>> -Rick

    Actually, there were three questions, and none was which bike is a better climber. And I have the
    feeling that if someone were to ask which bike is the better climber, we would not be presented
    with an answer that was acceptable to all. Subjective opinions and annecdotal evidence, mixed in
    with some objective criticisms - but a conclusive answer? Probably not. And besides, the better
    climber isn't a bike at all, but a trike.

    --
    Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  8. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    Larry Varney <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Sbtypesetter wrote:
    > > I've heard that the Vision and the Cobra can climb while others can't. True? What consitiutes a
    > > good climber and why?
    > >
    > > -Rick
    > >

    > False. A good climber requires stability, efficiency, and a strong engine. If it wobbles or
    > flexes, it's not going to climb well. But if the engine is weak, then nothing can overcome
    > that. Lighter is better, of course, but that's true for walking, running or any other forms of
    > propulsion, and not just climbing hills with bikes. Same goes for traction. Lose that, and
    > you're not going to climb (or do much of anything else) well.

    FWIW: I rode Chilly Hilly today- one lap around Bainbridge Island in Puget Sound. Here's the route
    profile: http://www.cascade.org/EandR/CH_Ride_Info_Desc.cfm

    I ride a Tour Easy with a front fairing and I weigh 220+ pounds (I've been putting on insulation
    this winter). There were only two hills where I got onto my little chainring- and my middle
    chainring is 44 teeth. I climbed past plenty of upright riders, too. The Tour Easy climbs fine.

    Jeff

  9. Mike S

    Mike S Guest

    > In general, good climbers are lightweight and efficient. Efficiency comes in part from stability
    > including a stiff frame and good tires. I prefer a solid rear triangle. As for weight, my bike
    > become a much better climber after I lost 10 lbs. To borrow a phrase, it's not about the bike.
    >
    > - Peter

    I agree with Peter. Best climbing bikes I have ridden have been the Lightning P-38, my Barcroft
    Virginia (with the M5 seat) and the V-Rex. The attributes for a good climbing machine for me are a
    larger rear wheel, stiff/triangulated frame and relative lightness. But another important aspect is
    how comfortable I am on the bike. I am sure the Bacchetta owners will extol the climbing abilities
    of the Strada/Corsa/Aero, and the Volae people will proclaim the Team to be king. All nice bikes.
    But I am not comfortable on them and that affects my ability to ride them (and to climb). I was also
    going to add that a hardshell seat is also a plus but I realize after looking at my choices that
    that is not true here, as the three bikes mentioned have different seats ( Ligntning-all mesh, Virginia-
    M5, V-Rex-standard RANS). I will say the Virginia, which was a good climber before, became a better
    climber after the M5 seat was added. And one last thing, remember that after you climb the hill you
    still have to ride the bike home. So of the three I mentioned I prefer the Virginia and then the V-
    Rex. The P-38, with its stiffer frame, climbed those hills but then bounced me home. The other two
    have a less harsh ride. My opinion only.

    Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.

  10. Harv

    Harv Guest

    Some bents can't climb because they have fat out of shape lardass motors
    like mine. That being said, I think my Speedmachine has a more ergonomic
    seat/position than my V-REX and I can climb maybe 1 mph faster. I hope as
    the season goes along that number will increase. The SM is a SIGNIFICANTLY
    better gravity engine and will plummet downhill at a scary rate.
    "Sbtypesetter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've heard that the Vision and the Cobra can climb while others can't. True? What consitiutes a
    > good climber and why?
    >
    > -Rick

  11. There may be some folks out there who want to believe that one model or another will make them good
    climbers. Although this message is implied by manufacturers' advertising, it is simply untrue
    because climbing also depends greatly on the rider's fitness, strength to weight, etc. Therefore, a
    particular model of bike will not be a *good climber* if the rider is not fit. I believe this
    response addresses issues that the original poster's question raises. I hope that others continue to
    respond with their anecdotal experiences on Brands X, Y and Z, because it is all good.

    Now, of the 9 responses responses to the original query, all but 1 have included discussion about
    issues in addition to "WHICH BIKE". Responses include frame geometry and design characteristics,
    weight (bike and rider), fitness, biomechanical considerations, gearing, advice to try several
    models rather than rely on subjective opinions, comfort and seat design. Four responses included
    experiences regarding specific models. This suggests that other experienced recumbists conceptualize
    hill climbing as depending on issues more far ranging that subjective opinions about specific models
    of bikes. Having thought about this issue more, clipless pedals really enhance hill climbing
    efficiency.

    If this response is too oblique, feel free to skip to the next message, press the delete key, or by
    all means send my email directly to a kill file. Thanks.

    Jon Shinefeld Philadelphia, PA

    "Chris Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > We know that all engines are different and that "it's" .... "not about the bike" ! It would ve
    > nice if these discussions would limit themselves to which "bike" is a better climber. I believe
    > this the question asked.
    >
    > Regards Chris
    >
    > Jon Shinefeld wrote:
    > > Echoing Larry's reply - it is usually the engine and not the bent that
    is
    > > the hill limiting factor. However, having offered that opinion, on the other side of the fence,
    > > I am also riding an old Raleigh Clubman, with upright bars, Brooks suspension saddle and a 40
    > > inch low gear, and I
    clearly
    > > do climb faster on this than on my VRex ... and with all the crap I
    carry,
    > > there is not a significant weight difference between the 2 bikes. This speaks volumes for the
    > > advantages of being able to change the mechanical relationship between the rider and pedals. In
    > > other words, sliding
    forward
    > > on the saddle to help in seated climbing, or, being able to stand and
    honk
    > > to take advantage of different muscle groups. Jon Shinefeld Philadelphia, PA 2001 VRex 1997
    > > Stumpjumper - currently still dressed in studded Nokian tires 1982 ish Raleigh Clubman,
    > > Carradice and all.
    > >
    > > "Sbtypesetter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > m05.aol.com...
    > >
    > >>I've heard that the Vision and the Cobra can climb while others can't. True? What consitiutes a
    > >>good climber and why?
    > >>
    > >> -Rick

  12. On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:59:12 -0500, "Jon Shinefeld" <ajshine at
    comcast.net> wrote:

    >There may be some folks out there who want to believe that one model or another will make them good
    >climbers. Although this message is implied by manufacturers' advertising, it is simply untrue
    >because climbing also depends greatly on the rider's fitness, strength to weight, etc.

    And for the few bike riders that are that new to bike riding that they are unaware that there is a
    sizeable human component to the climbing equation, I'm sure that is true. For most people on this
    list, they are well aware of that and are asking if there are certain styles of recumbents that
    would enhance their ability to climb over other styles, all other things being equal.

    That said, my personal experience is that recumbents climb best for a range of body styles and, in
    many cases, a range of inclines. Some SWBs have front wheel unweighting problems when it becomes
    really steep, as an example. So while there are no doubt certain makes and models that are 'better
    climbers', I think some need to step back and realize that just because a certain model works well
    for them in the areas that they climb, it may not be best for a person with a different body size or
    a different range of rates of climb.

    Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

  13. Perry B

    Perry B Guest

    Rick,

    When I bought my Tailwind I thought recumbents can't climb. I then changed the cranks from 62-52-
    39 to 52-42-30 and put on Evo bars. The bike and I could climb without weaving and I could spin
    while climbing.

    When I bought my V-Rex I thought recumbents can't climb. I then changed the cranks from 52-42-30 to
    48-38-24. The bike and I could climb without weaving and I could spin while climbing.

    When I bought my Easy Racers I thought recumbents can't climb. I then changed the cranks from 52-42-
    30 to 46-34-20. The bike and I could climb without weaving and I could spin while climbing.

    I guess some would say the downside of this is that I am no longer geared higher than df'ers so I
    can no longer blow by them on downhills. I could care less about that. My Tailwind spins out at
    about 38 mph, my V-Rex at about 42 mph and my Easy Racers at about 45 mph. Fast enought for me!

    By selling a bent with only road gears and not climbing gears, bent manufacturers help perpetuate
    the myth that "bents can't climb hills". They would sell more bikes if they would put
    climbing/touring cranks on the bikes and offer road cranks as an option to the inadequate bikers who
    have to prove they are faster than everyone else.

    As always, YMMV.

    Enjoy,

    Perry B

    [email protected] (Sbtypesetter) wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    m05.aol.com>...
    > I've heard that the Vision and the Cobra can climb while others can't. True? What consitiutes a
    > good climber and why?
    >
    > -Rick

  14. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Perry B wrote:

    > Rick,
    >
    > When I bought my Tailwind I thought recumbents can't climb. I then changed the cranks from 62-52-
    > 39 to 52-42-30 and put on Evo bars. The bike and I could climb without weaving and I could spin
    > while climbing....

    I really appreciated the 15" low gear [1] on my RANS Wave to Tailwind conversion while climbing
    steeper hills [2], as it allowed me to spin at 100-110 rpm while climbing at low speeds.

    [1] 0.73:1 hub gear underdrive, 30/28 chainring/rear cog, 47-406 tire.
    [2] E.g., Fosse Road on the Bike Psychos Century.

  15. Most Mondays I have cause to climb one of saarf London's nasty little hills; up until last week,
    every time I had done so was on an upright with a 22" bottom gear. For the past two weeks I've done
    it on the Speedmachine, also in a 22" gear. Faster than on the upright. I also have the benefit on
    this bike of having another two gears below that...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  16. Rcpinto

    Rcpinto Guest

    >Most Mondays I have cause to climb one of saarf London's nasty little hills; up until last week,
    >every time I had done so was on an upright with a 22" bottom gear. For the past two weeks I've done
    >it on the Speedmachine, also in a 22" gear. Faster than on the upright. I also have the benefit on
    >this bike of having another two gears below that...
    >
    >--
    >
    >Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/

    Sorry Dave..."faster than the upright" ??...that just cannot be! You must be one of those
    recumbent zealots who is blinded by the comfort of your bent.

    I suggest you reread all the hill climbing posts from the guys who have spent thirty+ years on
    uprights and one or two seasons on recumbents to form their opinions!

    Rich ;<)

  17. RCPINTO wrote:

    > Sorry Dave..."faster than the upright" ??...that just cannot be! You must be one of those
    > recumbent zealots who is blinded by the comfort of your bent.
    >
    > I suggest you reread all the hill climbing posts from the guys who have spent thirty+ years on
    > uprights and one or two seasons on recumbents to form their opinions!

    It gets worse, Rich. I estimate that the upright is, when laden with the normal day's STUFF, about
    eight pounds lighter than the recumbent...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  18. Mike Rice

    Mike Rice Guest

    I climb about as well on my Tour Easy as I used to on my 30 year old Schwinn Varsity. Which is not
    terribly well, but better each time out. This last weekend's ride I found myself cresting some of
    the rollers in the low 20's (mph) on the way home, with a nice tailwind. The same rollers hadn't
    been quite as co-operative on the way out. ;-)

    Mike Rice

  19. Dave Lehnen

    Dave Lehnen Guest

    Mike Rice wrote:

    > I climb about as well on my Tour Easy as I used to on my 30 year old Schwinn Varsity. Which is not
    > terribly well, but better each time out. This last weekend's ride I found myself cresting some of
    > the rollers in the low 20's (mph) on the way home, with a nice tailwind. The same rollers hadn't
    > been quite as co-operative on the way out. ;-)
    >
    > Mike Rice

    Didn't the Varsity weigh almost 40 lb? My memory may be off, but they were very heavy bikes.

    Dave Lehnen

  20. Mike Rice

    Mike Rice Guest

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 15:39:37 GMT, Dave Lehnen
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Didn't the Varsity weigh almost 40 lb? My memory may be off, but they were very heavy bikes.
    >
    >Dave Lehnen

    Yes, it is a heavy bike, and pretty well bullet-proof. The upside is that when I started riding
    regularly (and doing Atkins) I lost as much as my new bike weighs ;-)

    Mike