why can't V brake levers be used with cantis?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Carlos, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    sorry to repost but the ones below say that they are expired.

    anyway, i'm still wondering.

    thanks

  2. Garry N

    Garry N Guest

    Carlos, They pull too much cable. you have little or no modulation at the lever. Garry

    "carlos" <blacksheepQstic.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > sorry to repost but the ones below say that they are expired.
    >
    > anyway, i'm still wondering.
    >
    > thanks

  3. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    so they would be dangerous to use with cantis?

    garry n wrote:
    > Carlos, They pull too much cable. you have little or no modulation at the lever. Garry
    >
    > "carlos" <blacksheepQstic.net> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>sorry to repost but the ones below say that they are expired.
    >>
    >>anyway, i'm still wondering.
    >>
    >>thanks

  4. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    so the brakes would be really grabby?

  5. Jon Isaacs wrote:

    > >so they would be dangerous to use with cantis?
    > >

    > Depends on where you are riding. If you off roading it and doing some serious down hill, your
    > hands can get tired with normal canti levers. With Vbrake levers doubling the required force, you
    > well may not be able to handle it.
    >
    > I general I would not advise it. I have done the reverse, it is touchy but it works.

    V-brakes with levers for old-fashioned cantis? I tried that once, got a faceplant after less
    than 10 meters, fortunately I was going very slow and landed on some snow, so I didn't even
    scratch my glasses.

    Per D. Sørensen
    --
    "That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die"

    Abdul Alhazred

  6. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote:

    >>V-brakes with levers for old-fashioned cantis? I tried that once, got a faceplant after less than
    >>10 meters, fortunately I was going very slow and landed on some snow, so I didn't even scratch my
    >>glasses.

    That's hardly fair - there's NOTHING soft to land on in the Arizona desert. Then again, I
    guess it is balanced out by having nice warm dry weather all the time (only outrageously hot 4
    months a year).

    >The topic here is the opposite, Cantilever brakes with brake levers (on the handlebars) designed
    >for use with Vbrakes.
    >
    >The effect would be the opposite of your experience. Ride through some water and then head
    >downhill, pull like hell and still nothing.

    Well, not nothing... there will be this horrible screeching noise.

    Until you crash, at which time you'll stop screeching until you come to again... ;-)

  7. On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:08:08 -0500, Mark Hickey wrote:

    > That's hardly fair - there's NOTHING soft to land on in the Arizona desert. Then again, I guess
    > it is balanced out by having nice warm dry weather all the time (only outrageously hot 4 months
    > a year).

    You poor thing.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front _`\(,_ | of enough
    typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of (_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the
    collected works of Shakespeare. The internet has proven this not to be the case.