why can't V brake levers be used with cantis?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Carlos, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carlos

Carlos Guest

sorry to repost but the ones below say that they are expired.

anyway, i'm still wondering.

thanks

c

Tags:

2. Garry N

Garry N Guest

Carlos, They pull too much cable. you have little or no modulation at the lever. Garry

"carlos" <blacksheepQstic.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > sorry to repost but the ones below say that they are expired.
    >
    > anyway, i'm still wondering.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    >
    > c

3. Carlos

Carlos Guest

so they would be dangerous to use with cantis?

garry n wrote:
    > Carlos, They pull too much cable. you have little or no modulation at the lever. Garry
    >
    > "carlos" <blacksheepQstic.net> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>sorry to repost but the ones below say that they are expired.
    >>
    >>anyway, i'm still wondering.
    >>
    >>thanks
    >>
    >>
    >>c
    >>
    >

4. Carlos

Carlos Guest

so the brakes would be really grabby?

Jon Isaacs wrote:
    >>so they would be dangerous to use with cantis?
    >>
    >
    >
    > Depends on where you are riding. If you off roading it and doing some serious down hill, your
    > hands can get tired with normal canti levers. With Vbrake levers doubling the required force, you
    > well may not be able to handle it.
    >
    > I general I would not advise it. I have done the reverse, it is touchy but it works. Jon

5. Jon Isaacs wrote:
    >
    > >so they would be dangerous to use with cantis?
    > >
    >
    > Depends on where you are riding. If you off roading it and doing some serious down hill, your
    > hands can get tired with normal canti levers. With Vbrake levers doubling the required force, you
    > well may not be able to handle it.
    >
    > I general I would not advise it. I have done the reverse, it is touchy but it works.

V-brakes with levers for old-fashioned cantis? I tried that once, got a faceplant after less
    than 10 meters, fortunately I was going very slow and landed on some snow, so I didn't even
    scratch my glasses.

Per D. Sørensen
    --
    "That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die"

Abdul Alhazred

6. Mark Hickey

Mark Hickey Guest

[email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote:

>>V-brakes with levers for old-fashioned cantis? I tried that once, got a faceplant after less than
    >>10 meters, fortunately I was going very slow and landed on some snow, so I didn't even scratch my
    >>glasses.

That's hardly fair - there's NOTHING soft to land on in the Arizona desert. Then again, I
    guess it is balanced out by having nice warm dry weather all the time (only outrageously hot 4
    months a year).

>The topic here is the opposite, Cantilever brakes with brake levers (on the handlebars) designed
    >for use with Vbrakes.
    >
    >The effect would be the opposite of your experience. Ride through some water and then head
    >downhill, pull like hell and still nothing.

Well, not nothing... there will be this horrible screeching noise.

Until you crash, at which time you'll stop screeching until you come to again... ;-)

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

7. On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:08:08 -0500, Mark Hickey wrote:

> That's hardly fair - there's NOTHING soft to land on in the Arizona desert. Then again, I guess
    > it is balanced out by having nice warm dry weather all the time (only outrageously hot 4 months
    > a year).

You poor thing.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front _`\(,_ | of enough
    typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of (_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the
    collected works of Shakespeare. The internet has proven this not to be the case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.