why can't V brake levers be used with cantis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Carlos

sorry to repost but the ones below say that they are expired.

anyway, i'm still wondering.

thanks

c

Carlos, They pull too much cable. you have little or no modulation at the lever. Garry

"carlos" <blacksheepQstic.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> sorry to repost but the ones below say that they are expired.
>
> anyway, i'm still wondering.
>
> thanks
>
>
> c

so they would be dangerous to use with cantis?

garry n wrote:
> Carlos, They pull too much cable. you have little or no modulation at the lever. Garry
>
> "carlos" <blacksheepQstic.net> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>sorry to repost but the ones below say that they are expired.
>>
>>anyway, i'm still wondering.
>>
>>thanks
>>
>>
>>c
>>
>

so the brakes would be really grabby?

Jon Isaacs wrote:
>>so they would be dangerous to use with cantis?
>>
>
>
> Depends on where you are riding. If you off roading it and doing some serious down hill, your
> hands can get tired with normal canti levers. With Vbrake levers doubling the required force, you
> well may not be able to handle it.
>
> I general I would not advise it. I have done the reverse, it is touchy but it works. Jon

Jon Isaacs wrote:
>
> >so they would be dangerous to use with cantis?
> >
>
> Depends on where you are riding. If you off roading it and doing some serious down hill, your
> hands can get tired with normal canti levers. With Vbrake levers doubling the required force, you
> well may not be able to handle it.
>
> I general I would not advise it. I have done the reverse, it is touchy but it works.

V-brakes with levers for old-fashioned cantis? I tried that once, got a faceplant after less
than 10 meters, fortunately I was going very slow and landed on some snow, so I didn't even
scratch my glasses.

Per D. Sørensen
--
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die"

Abdul Alhazred

[email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote:

>>V-brakes with levers for old-fashioned cantis? I tried that once, got a faceplant after less than
>>10 meters, fortunately I was going very slow and landed on some snow, so I didn't even scratch my
>>glasses.

That's hardly fair - there's NOTHING soft to land on in the Arizona desert. Then again, I
guess it is balanced out by having nice warm dry weather all the time (only outrageously hot 4
months a year).

>The topic here is the opposite, Cantilever brakes with brake levers (on the handlebars) designed
>for use with Vbrakes.
>
>The effect would be the opposite of your experience. Ride through some water and then head
>downhill, pull like hell and still nothing.

Well, not nothing... there will be this horrible screeching noise.

Until you crash, at which time you'll stop screeching until you come to again... ;-)

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:08:08 -0500, Mark Hickey wrote:

> That's hardly fair - there's NOTHING soft to land on in the Arizona desert. Then again, I guess
> it is balanced out by having nice warm dry weather all the time (only outrageously hot 4 months
> a year).

You poor thing.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front _`\(,_ | of enough
typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of (_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the
collected works of Shakespeare. The internet has proven this not to be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.