Why Cycle lanes on busy roads are a bad idea

dewatf said:
Ever wondered what drafting behind a 380 in the bus lane on Oxford
Street is doing to you?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,16339854%5E23289,00.html

They recon that building a cycleways 10m from the traffic results in
90% drop in particulates.

dewatf.

Cycling behind a bus while gasping up High St, Kew was the one reason I went off and purchased a whiz-bang pollution mask which supposedly eliminated many of those nasties.. Don't know if it helped, but was being cautious (me being an asthmatic and all)

Of course then the filters expired and i never got around to getting more.... Haven't felt any worse for it.. Hmm...

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,16339854%255E23289,00.html

They recon that building a cycleways 10m from the traffic results in
90% drop in particulates.

dewatf.
And that helps motorists how exactly?

Studies have proven that car occupents are exposed to more pollution than cyclists even when the cyclists level of exertion has been taken in to consideration. This study does not address the risks posed to motorists in any way, shape or form and is thus FLAWED!

It is important that his research is challenged before the ``get cyclists off the road'' brigade get on the band wagon.

The thing about getting bikes off the road is that, if they are successful there still wont be any extra room left behind for more cars.

Bicycles just take up that extra space left over (Most bicycle lanes are slightly wider road shoulders & where a motor traffic lane has been lost to bicycles (Macaulay rd Nth Melb) is mostly a traffic management measure than a surrender to bicycles .

BrettS said:
> They recon that building a cycleways 10m from the traffic results in
> 90% drop in particulates.

Pretty much the same as drafting behind that truck the other day,
helping me go really fast...

See, told you diesel makes you ride faster...

hippy

just found this...

interesting data/stuff...
http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/tdm/publications/pubs/effectivespeeds.pdf
(page 10 onwards specially...)

OR BETTER YET ,another London (and Boston, MexicoCity, Washington, Sydney and other cities around World) study comparing the very things that other dross fails to address:
http://www.icta.org/doc/In-car%20pollution%20report.pdf (page 11)
Direct comparisons between In-car, rail/underground, pedestrian and Cyclist pollution inhalation. ALL Show cyclsits get LESS, Even less than 'on' the Underground!

"Concentrations of benzene, a known carcinogen, reach levels inside automobiles nearly two-and-a-half times higher than in the air breathed by bicyclists, according to a Raleigh, NC, study."

Take a look at the referenced material at the back of the doc. Its fairly substantial.
Not a paid-for-one-off little lobby-group-funded thingy like the BHF's effort. geeesh

EuanB wrote:
> dewatf Wrote:
> > Ever wondered what drafting behind a 380 in the bus lane on Oxford
> > Street is doing to you?
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/aa3wj
> >
> > They recon that building a cycleways 10m from the traffic results in
> > 90% drop in particulates.
> >
> > dewatf.

> And that helps motorists how exactly?
>
> Studies have proven that car occupents are exposed to more pollution
> than cyclists even when the cyclists level of exertion has been taken
> in to consideration. This study does not address the risks posed to
> motorists in any way, shape or form and is thus FLAWED!

No, it's just being misused. There's nothing wrong with the
study (assuming it's accurate). What's wrong is using the results
out of context.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:51:29 +1000, EuanB
<[email protected]> wrote:

>dewatf Wrote:
>> Ever wondered what drafting behind a 380 in the bus lane on Oxford
>> Street is doing to you?
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/aa3wj
>>
>> They recon that building a cycleways 10m from the traffic results in
>> 90% drop in particulates.
>>
>> dewatf.

>And that helps motorists how exactly?
>
>Studies have proven that car occupents are exposed to more pollution
>than cyclists even when the cyclists level of exertion has been taken
>in to consideration. This study does not address the risks posed to
>motorists in any way, shape or form and is thus FLAWED!
>
>It is important that his research is challenged before the ``get
>cyclists off the road'' brigade get on the band wagon.

His research is that cycling in traffic around diesels causes
circlatory damage. Driving may well to, doesn't matter.

As well as arguing that cyclists should be off arterial roads, it
could also be used to argue that the NSW Government was short sighted
in abandoning natural gas buses, that diesels should be kept out of
residential areas as much as possible, that rail should be used moer
for freight and passengers, and that we should clean up our diesel
fuel (we have laxer standards than the EU though are tightening them).

dewatf.

"dewatf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Ever wondered what drafting behind a 380 in the bus lane on Oxford
> Street is doing to you?
>
> > They recon that building a cycleways 10m from the traffic results in

> 90% drop in particulates.

Make yourself fee better, and read this one instead.
http://www.australiancyclist.com.au/showarticle.php?s=8&a=101
(Here in adelaide we have natural gas and biodeisel buses :). one has nice
warm air out the exhaust, the other smells a bit like fish and chips ;-)

GemmaK wrote:

the other smells a bit like fish and chips ;-)

Are you serious?

LotteBum

"BrettS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> dewatf wrote:
> > Ever wondered what drafting behind a 380 in the bus lane on Oxford
> > Street is doing to you?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,16339854%5E23289,00.html

> > They recon that building a cycleways 10m from the traffic results in
> > 90% drop in particulates.
> >
> > dewatf.

> Pretty much the same as drafting behind that truck the other day,
> helping me go really fast...
>
> ;-)
> --
> BrettS

Early one morning last week (about 0600h) I had just turned onto Rosanna Rd
from Lower Plenty and was going over the hill when a ute with orange
flashing lights and a "Wide Load" sign passed me. I looked back over my
shoulder and here was a fricken house on the back of a truck that pretty
well was taking up both lanes!!! I stayed right over to the left until it
went past me and then moved out behind it and slipped between it and the
light truck behind it with another set of flashing lights and "Wide Load"
sign.

This was the best draft that I have ever managed to get.......even better
than when I have gotten in behind one of those big mobile cranes that are
really low to the road. I basically followed this house at 60km/h all the
way to Burgandy St and I was pretty well on the brakes the whole way!! I
was so happy with the draft that I actually decided to go all the way to the
top of the Burgandy St hill rather than turn left at the hospital like I
usually do.

Screw bike lanes.....just get more houses on the road!!!

Ride On,

Gags

Gags wrote:
> "BrettS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>dewatf wrote:
>>
>>>Ever wondered what drafting behind a 380 in the bus lane on Oxford
>>>Street is doing to you?
>>>

> http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,16339854%5E23289,00.html
>
>>>They recon that building a cycleways 10m from the traffic results in
>>>90% drop in particulates.
>>>
>>>dewatf.

>>Pretty much the same as drafting behind that truck the other day,
>>helping me go really fast...
>>
>>;-)
>>--
>>BrettS

> Early one morning last week (about 0600h) I had just turned onto Rosanna Rd
> from Lower Plenty and was going over the hill when a ute with orange
> flashing lights and a "Wide Load" sign passed me. I looked back over my
> shoulder and here was a fricken house on the back of a truck that pretty
> well was taking up both lanes!!! I stayed right over to the left until it
> went past me and then moved out behind it and slipped between it and the
> light truck behind it with another set of flashing lights and "Wide Load"
> sign.
>
> This was the best draft that I have ever managed to get.......even better
> than when I have gotten in behind one of those big mobile cranes that are
> really low to the road. I basically followed this house at 60km/h all the
> way to Burgandy St and I was pretty well on the brakes the whole way!! I
> was so happy with the draft that I actually decided to go all the way to the
> top of the Burgandy St hill rather than turn left at the hospital like I
> usually do.
>
> Screw bike lanes.....just get more houses on the road!!!
>
> Ride On,
>
> Gags

OK The story here is that you were overtaken by a HOUSE

However you dress it up thats what I am hearing.

"LotteBum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> GemmaK wrote:
>
> the other smells a bit like fish and chips ;-)
>
> Are you serious?

yup :)

It's a much different smelling exhaust than anything else anyway. Sort of
like oily smelling without the usual black smoke.

Gemma_k wrote:

> It's a much different smelling exhaust than anything else anyway.
> Sort of like oily smelling without the usual black smoke.

There's a old Merc 300D running around Perth that actually runs on recycled
oil from fryers. And yes, it does smell like fish and chips.

Theo