Why cycling doesn't suck

Frigo's Luggage

Sep 16, 2006
Ok. With all the **** that is going on in the sport, I have to ask the question why the people on this forum even care anymore? I mean, we are all cycling fanatics. Why? Why don't we just pack it in and follow crickett instead? I'd like to hear your reasons.

I guess this is a challenge to all of us. If you can't tell us why you still care then you are just a blow hard like House/Hein. If you can't think of anything positive to say, you should find another sport. However, I suspect that even House has reasons for caring. He may not care for professional cycling. But he cares about something.

So, why do you love this sport, warts and all?

Why cycling doesn't suck...........

I like to ride my bike.
I like to race my bike.
I like to watch the races.
I like to watch the tactical games played out, who attacks when where & how. Then the corresponding responses and counter attacks.
I like watching the mountain stages, where those tactics are played out even more so. The mountains they race in are spectacular (ie:scenery)
It's both an individual sport and team sport in one. (eg:the elation a lead out man has when his team mate wins a sprint. You see them in the back ground with arms raised as if he himself won.)

I also see it as a little petty when some may say cycling is dirty I'm not watching any more I'll follow sport "X" instead. Sport "X" probably has just as much doping but you just don't see it. Cycling just appears as such because if/when a rider test positive it's out in the open virtually straight away. (eg:Vino at the TDF) Other sports it maybe 6-10months later when a small story may break and virtually goes un-noticed.

So I don't let the doping ruin my enjoyment of the sport. I know it happens and it does in other sports as well.
What can ruin it though is the disorganisation or lack of positive action to look for a solution or cases like Hamilton & Landis where it's fought out in hearings & courts for the best part of 2 years. These things take longer than they should.

Frigo's Luggage said:
Ok. With all the **** that is going on in the sport, I have to ask the question why the people on this forum even care anymore? I mean, we are all cycling fanatics. Why? Why don't we just pack it in and follow crickett instead? I'd like to hear your reasons.
Cricket is just as dirty as cycling. Bookies scandals, dead coaches, fat Aussie dope taking text messaging spin bowlers and Pakistani dope takers are evidence of this.

I check in here once in a while.
I cant decide if this place is a morgue, where bike racing rests while the authorities try to figure out who killed it.... or if its like a cemetary, where we accept and mourn the loss of our beloved sport.

The pleasure of keeping the human machine well oiled whilst in the company of friends/soldiers who have endured the same pain, suffering, sacrifice, agony, victory and ecstacy as you on the long road - that is what makes cycling not suck.

The drug thing I'm starting to care less about - us mortals will never know the facts and are running in circles like headless chickens trying to. Complete waste of time I say.

My advice to whitetrash, Hein and the "theyre are druggies" hypers. Enjoy the spectacle and think less. Everyone of us here is ignorant of the facts - enjoy the bliss that comes with said ignorance.

The sight of a peloton taking a switchback on a downhill... almost like a school of fish. A sudden flash of color, the whir of the spokes, and then it's gone.

It really is a beautiful sport.