Why cycling makes the world a better place (for me anyway)

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Mike Jacoubowsk, Jan 29, 2003.

  1. Today's diary entry from http://www.ChainReaction.com/diary.htm

    01/28/03- CYCLING MAKES THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE. At least it seems that way once you get on a bike
    and ride. Take this morning, for example. I was a bit tired last night, and sometimes, I have
    to admit, I don't really look forward to getting up shortly after the sun comes up and riding
    when it's in the low 40s. And in the morning you wake up, look out the window, and it's just a
    bit dreary as the fog hasn't quite burned up. Nothing to contradict the feeling from the night
    before. But you go through the drill, get dressed, make your Cytomax, start the recording mode
    on your HAC4 computer/heartwatch and off you go. You're never really sure how those first few
    pedal strokes up the hill outside the door are going to feel, but on a good day, you're about
    8 minutes from the start of the ride (at Canada & Olive Hill) and on the very worst day, maybe
    10. Most days you're in the
    middle.

    Today was closer towards a good day for that first part, and I arrived a bit early for the start.
    Ueyn showed up first, followed by Peter. Uh-oh. Peter's not quite as fast, so a sane person would
    think great, you can take it a bit easier. But it's well-established that sanity is in question for
    myself, and possibly Ueyn as well. The fact that somebody a bit slower shows up means just one
    thing- intervals. Start up Kings at a moderate speed and then choose a target, some place to ride
    to at full-on pace. We started with the first hairpin (where it crosses the creek), then Peter
    caught up and we and tackled the next, finishing at the Huddart Park entrance. That took quite a
    bit out of us, and we were content to not go for another until the clearing (1.34 miles to the top
    on the highway markers). I was about finished by now. But of course, one final fling at the top, at
    which I was no longer contesting the outcome as Ueyn raced on ahead.

    But what about cycling making the world a better place? That comes from the feeling you get up on
    Skyline, on top of the world as it were, as you're rolling along at high speed among beautiful
    Redwoods and the sun's rays streaking through like you'd see in a painting that looked like they
    exaggerated the effect. And that wonderful mildly-twisty descent into Sky L'onda, followed by a
    quick cruise down the west side of 84 to its intersection with Old LaHonda. At this time of day
    you can count the cars you've encountered so far on maybe a couple of hands, and Old LaHonda is
    one of those gems where you inevitably find yourself thinking "This is why we pay the big bucks to
    live here!" And while you're thinking it, someone else on the ride is actually saying it. Happens
    all the time.

    So I'll continue to wonder, the night before and maybe while I'm getting ready in the morning, when
    I would get up early, when it's cold outside and everyone else is trying to figure out how high to
    kick up the heat in their house, why I would want to do it. But, almost without exception, you come
    back thinking you had a great time, what could possibly be better, too bad you couldn't be out
    there all day. How many things can you think of that have you saying that, and how many of them are
    as good for you as riding a bike? It just doesn't get any better.

  2. Dick Durbin

    Dick Durbin Guest

    > Today's diary entry from http://www.ChainReaction.com/diary.htm
    >
    > 01/28/03- CYCLING MAKES THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE. At least it seems that way once you get on a
    > bike and ride. Take this morning, for example. I was a bit tired last night, and sometimes,
    > I have to admit, I don't really look forward to getting up shortly after the sun comes up
    > and riding when it's in the low 40s.

    It's funny that you should post this. I was scheduled to lead our club ride this past Sunday but,
    when the temperatures drop into the 20s as they did this past week, we Floridians congeal and have a
    tough time getting out of bed. I rolled out, got all of my riding stuff together, and headed to the
    start of the ride.

    I really didn't expect anyone to show up but, just as I was about to retreat to the bagel shop, two
    old farts like your correspondent showed up so I had to saddle up. I had to admit that once we got
    going and the conversation got started, I warmed up and had a dandy 36 mile ride.

    Riding alone on the road is not as much fun to me as sharing the experience with some friends.
    Riding with good friends is a warming experience.

    Dick Durbin Tallahassee

  3. Kester

    Kester Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:07:21 +0000, Dick Durbin wrote:

    > "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> I don't really look forward to getting up shortly after the sun comes up and riding when it's in
    >> the low 40s.
    > but, when the temperatures drop into the 20s as they did this past week, ... I really didn't
    > expect anyone to show up but,

    I am, at the moment, doing some cycle training and have been most impressed that as the temperature
    has dropped to the low 30s (your style numbers) the kids don't seem to have been put off... some of
    the teachers have :)

    That said now it is snow AND ice tommorow I will be interested to see how many I have!

    Still certainly more cars on the road than there were a week ago...

    --
    Cheers, Kester