Why did I get dropped? Help analyzing my PTap download

ptooey

Aug 13, 2003
Hello,
Got dropped again on the group ride up a local hill this weekend.

33 minute climb - I got dropped from the main group after ~15min. Worked alone, then with some other dropped riders for 18 more min. My average power for the 33min was only 90% of one of my 2x20 Pavg from last week. Same avg power for the 15min before and the 18min after I got dropped, though the "before" plot is more variable (ie less steady).

I just don't get it. The 20min power mentioned above was done in a 1min over/1min under LT (by ~10%) to increase the variablilty last week.

Would ANYONE be up for checking out my PTap download and shedding some light on why I can't hold the group, even tho, I should be able to hold the Pvg?

Any help will be greatly appreciated ;)

ptooey said:
Hello,

33 minute climb - I got dropped from the main group after ~15min. Worked alone, then with some other dropped riders for 18 more min. My average power for the 33min was only 90% of one of my 2x20 Pavg from last week. Same avg power for the 15min before and the 18min after I got dropped, though the "before" plot is more variable (ie less steady).

I just don't get it. The 20min power mentioned above was done in a 1min over/1min under LT (by ~10%) to increase the variablilty last week.

Would ANYONE be up for checking out my PTap download and shedding some light on why I can't hold the group, even tho, I should be able to hold the Pvg?

Any help will be greatly appreciated ;)
I'm not a coach but sure I can take a look ... pm??

ptooey said:

Wait a second, are you wondering why your AP was lower (than your previous workout), or why the other guys rode fast enough to drop you? :confused:

It seems obvious that the "why" you got dropped was because the other guys generated more w/kg than you did. Even if you had sustained your previous best AP, they may still have dropped you if their w/kg were higher than yours.

ptooey said:
Hello,Any help will be greatly appreciated ;)
Just put the .csv file into a zip file and attach it to your next message. Also include relevant details like the other numbers.

Have you pushed it too much during the previous workouts, so that you were fresher for the 2x20s than for the climb?

In college, we used to do intervals no less 3 days before a race. Our coach was adamant our legs were rested. Sometimes we would take a 1 week off before target races. After college, I wondered why I felt like **** after some races when I was faster in intervals the week before. Duh, I had done hard repeats 2 days before the race...And it took another coach to spot this...:)

I don't know your training plan or if you're coached, but it's smart posting to the group for a third person perspective!

Woofer said:
Just put the .csv file into a zip file and attach it to your next message. Also include relevant details like the other numbers.
Also, IIRC you had a serious injury earlier this season, are you fully recovered from that?

ptooey said:
Hello,

Same avg power for the 15min before and the 18min after I got dropped, though the "before" plot is more variable (ie less steady).

;)
Apologies in advance if my response is too simplistic. From my own PT files, when I get dropped it isn't usually the avg power that's significant, it is the peak power and frequency just before I get into trouble. Specific example (and again, sorry if my own power numbers are too low, it is the relative values which make my point!): on last Sunday's GR I went off the back in a 1 1/2 minute stretch averaging 245w, which is slightly above my FTP, certainly not enough to cause a real problem for such a short period of time. BUT...what the PT shows beyond the avg power is a "saw tooth" with 9 peaks of 600+ watts in that period, i.e. a 600w effort every 10 sec until I came adrift. You mention doing your 20min intervals at FTP +/-10%, which for me would be 212-258w. That's a different physical adaptation than the 600w every 10sec which got me. It may be that you need to do more VO2-type intervals (i.e. the 1-5min intervals at way above FTP). But of course without seeing your file (and not being a coach!), I'm shooting in the dark!

Without actually seeing the file..... Did you do any particularly hard efforts before hand. I have found that even if I do as little as a set of 3x1, 15-20 min of Z1 later I can't fully express my FTP for 20 minutes or so. So if you had to jump to 140% FTP 2-3 times for say 30 seconds each you may well find that you lose 15 watts. Even though you feel fully recovered. Arbitrary numbers and this might not have been your problem but something to check...

Greg

Just throwing out idea here.

But are you climb at the same cadence that you use for you 20 minute intervals? Some peoples power outputs change signifcatly with cadence.

Chances are it's a combination of things, maybe you didn't fully warm up before the ride? i know that's something that's often overlooked on rides around here.

You could have been doing a couple of speed up's going over some rolling hills before hand which starts to drain the energy out of you just like doing some short sprints as someone already mentioned.

And 3rd, most people can't climb at the same cadence as they can cruise on the flats. I know i can spin at 100rpm for my 2x20min but when i did hills the other day what felt like 'spinning' up a 10% grade was actually 85rpm. And a 15rpm change in cadence certainly changes things if you've always trainned at 100rpm. I plan to start doing both flat, and hill simulations on my rollers for trainning now that i have numbers to duplicated.

4th, well 33mins isn't 2x20, maybe your'e just used to having that break in the middle?

5th... bad day lol... happens to everyone, could have just overtrainned, underslept, under ate, ate to recently, not eaten to recently, dehidrated... the list goes on..