Why did Lance borrow a bike yesterday?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Raptor, Jul 7, 2003.

  1. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    With everyone getting the same time, he could have carried his bike across the line (as at least one
    other rider did), but he borrowed Rubiera's for 500 meters.

    What was the point?

  2. Flashsteve

    Flashsteve Guest

    Have you ever walked in Shimano cleats, on asphalt, carrying a bike, in 85 degree weather, after
    racing for 5 hours?

    Steve Scarich

  3. Duffy Pratt

    Duffy Pratt Guest

    Someone on his team was going to have to hoof it. Whose energy do you think they wanted to save?

    Duffy

    "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > With everyone getting the same time, he could have carried his bike across the line (as at least
    > one other rider did), but he borrowed Rubiera's for 500 meters.
    >
    > What was the point?

    > Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    > could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP
    > in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

  4. Fred Marx

    Fred Marx Guest

    Raptor wrote:

    > With everyone getting the same time, he could have carried his bike across the line (as at least
    > one other rider did), but he borrowed Rubiera's for 500 meters.
    >
    > What was the point?

    dude when was the last time you wlaked 500 m in cleats carrying your road bike.. ????

  5. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Duffy Pratt wrote:
    > Someone on his team was going to have to hoof it. Whose energy do you think they wanted to save?
    >
    > Duffy

    For 500 meters? I honestly wonder if it would even occur to me to not walk were I in the same place.
    But I've never been a Tour team leader either.

  6. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Duffy Pratt wrote:
    > > Someone on his team was going to have to hoof it. Whose energy do you think they wanted to save?
    > >
    > > Duffy
    >
    > For 500 meters? I honestly wonder if it would even occur to me to not walk were I in the same
    > place. But I've never been a Tour team leader either.

    Lance should not walk, and I'm sure he had a teammate right there with him handing him his bike as
    soon as it was noticed that Lance's bike wasn't rideable. It's done all the time and they even show
    this in the new "vote for the best domestique" commercial. The other guy will wait for the team car.

    -WG

  7. Inconnu

    Inconnu Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 04:50:36 +0000, warren wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Duffy Pratt wrote:
    >> > Someone on his team was going to have to hoof it. Whose energy do you think they wanted to
    >> > save?
    >> >
    >> > Duffy
    >>
    >> For 500 meters? I honestly wonder if it would even occur to me to not walk were I in the same
    >> place. But I've never been a Tour team leader either.
    >
    > Lance should not walk, and I'm sure he had a teammate right there with him handing him his bike as
    > soon as it was noticed that Lance's bike wasn't rideable. It's done all the time and they even
    > show this in the new "vote for the best domestique" commercial. The other guy will wait for the
    > team car.

    There is a point here I think, albeit abstruse.

    If you read the rules carfully (UCI and TdeF variations thereof) you will determine that after a
    crash, mechanical or other ~allowable~ incident in the last 1,000 meters, riders are given the same
    time as the riders in whose company they were riding at the time of the incident.

    But reading further in the rules you will see that the rider is given a placing (as opposed to the
    actual time he is given) in accordance with the order in which he actually crosses the line. If he
    fails to cross the line he is given a placing of ~Last~.

    And reading further into the rules you will see that one of the ~tie-breaker~ calculations, if a
    winner cannot be otherwise determined, takes into account finishing positions.

    Ergo it is important to cross the line as soon as possible after an incident.

    But whether or not the lads were thinking of this in the stage one melee I really can't say.