Why did Lance borrow a bike yesterday?

Raptor

Guest
With everyone getting the same time, he could have carried his bike across the line (as at least one
other rider did), but he borrowed Rubiera's for 500 meters.

What was the point?

Have you ever walked in Shimano cleats, on asphalt, carrying a bike, in 85 degree weather, after
racing for 5 hours?

Steve Scarich

Someone on his team was going to have to hoof it. Whose energy do you think they wanted to save?

Duffy

Raptor wrote:

> With everyone getting the same time, he could have carried his bike across the line (as at least
> one other rider did), but he borrowed Rubiera's for 500 meters.
>
> What was the point?

dude when was the last time you wlaked 500 m in cleats carrying your road bike.. ????

Duffy Pratt wrote:
> Someone on his team was going to have to hoof it. Whose energy do you think they wanted to save?
>
> Duffy

For 500 meters? I honestly wonder if it would even occur to me to not walk were I in the same place.
But I've never been a Tour team leader either.

In article <[email protected]>, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

> Duffy Pratt wrote:
> > Someone on his team was going to have to hoof it. Whose energy do you think they wanted to save?
> >
> > Duffy
>
> For 500 meters? I honestly wonder if it would even occur to me to not walk were I in the same
> place. But I've never been a Tour team leader either.

Lance should not walk, and I'm sure he had a teammate right there with him handing him his bike as
soon as it was noticed that Lance's bike wasn't rideable. It's done all the time and they even show
this in the new "vote for the best domestique" commercial. The other guy will wait for the team car.

-WG

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 04:50:36 +0000, warren wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Duffy Pratt wrote:
>> > Someone on his team was going to have to hoof it. Whose energy do you think they wanted to
>> > save?
>> >
>> > Duffy
>>
>> For 500 meters? I honestly wonder if it would even occur to me to not walk were I in the same
>> place. But I've never been a Tour team leader either.
>
> Lance should not walk, and I'm sure he had a teammate right there with him handing him his bike as
> soon as it was noticed that Lance's bike wasn't rideable. It's done all the time and they even
> show this in the new "vote for the best domestique" commercial. The other guy will wait for the
> team car.

There is a point here I think, albeit abstruse.

If you read the rules carfully (UCI and TdeF variations thereof) you will determine that after a
crash, mechanical or other ~allowable~ incident in the last 1,000 meters, riders are given the same
time as the riders in whose company they were riding at the time of the incident.

But reading further in the rules you will see that the rider is given a placing (as opposed to the
actual time he is given) in accordance with the order in which he actually crosses the line. If he
fails to cross the line he is given a placing of ~Last~.

And reading further into the rules you will see that one of the ~tie-breaker~ calculations, if a
winner cannot be otherwise determined, takes into account finishing positions.

Ergo it is important to cross the line as soon as possible after an incident.

But whether or not the lads were thinking of this in the stage one melee I really can't say.