Why Did You Pick Cycling Over All Other Sports?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Lizel, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Lizel

Lizel Active Member

Were you always sure that your hobby is going to be cycling? When did you start riding?

Personally I have picked cycling over all other sports, because it's cheap, you workout well and there's many health benefits.

Tags:
    haleylx4 likes this.

2. Susimi

Susimi Well-Known Member

I've been cycling since I was a kid and it's just been a second nature thing to me. I drive a car now but I still use my bike to just got short distances or take a little ride out into the country.

With cycling I love how I can ride along at a steady pace down a country lane, taking in all the sights and while I am at it I'm also doing something healthy and beneficial for my health. It's also a pretty good feeling looking at a map when I get back and looking at just how far I rode out.

3. Keyan

Keyan Member

I love seeing beautiful scenes and travelling to different places. Cycling is the most affordable way for me to accomplish that. So that pretty much explains it why my choice is to ride a bike. It is good for my health too which is an added bonus

4. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

Wait, it's cheap? :lol:

Uawadall and BikeBikeBikeBike like this.
  5. BikeBikeBikeBike

BikeBikeBikeBike Well-Known Member

haha.
    Well it's as cheap as you want it to be. You can literally get into bike riding for free if you want, or you can spend 10 grand.
    But that's honestly any sport, you can play ball hockey with $5 in equipment or ice hockey with $500 in equip and $100.hr in ice time.
    Anyways

I like bike riding because I don't like playing team sports and I don't like running.
    I love anything on two wheels (except those damn Slo-peds.)

6. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Cycling chose me, I think.

7. Uawadall

Uawadall Well-Known Member

To me, its an easy way to get cardio fit. Even a 3hr ride is fun instead of a boring, check of the boxes kind of exercise.

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlands Member

Being honest, I haven't really picked it "over all other sports", because I do many other things, too! One of the things that I like to do is swimming, and I often cycle to the pool, do 50 lengths (which takes me around an hour, I'm not the fastest swimmer) and then get back on my bike for the ride back home again. I love to combine the different types of exercise, and if it weren't for the fact that I worked from home as a writer, I genuinely believe that I would try to be out and about doing some form of exercise all day every day. I love the way it makes your mind and body feel. As if you can get over anything and achieve whatever you want to. It's just a brilliant feeling!

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

Hmm, this is a tough question. Now I remember my high school days when I played volleyball in school. But that was not the competitive playing, it was only for fun among classmates. When I was in grade school, my father taught me how to ride race horses. I would have been an equestrienne if not for that accident that a girl was killed in the racetrack while on a practice ride. Hmm, there's no other sport I can think of. With biking, it is just a whim maybe or I am bored so I want to ride.

10. Lizel

Lizel Active Member

It's great that you can see all of those wonderful places while cycling. It's definitely a great adventure unlike when you're driving a car.

11. Lizel

Lizel Active Member

It's as cheap as you want it to be, but it's generally expensive if you want to buy all of that professional equipment.

12. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

What's "professional equipment"?

13. maanderx

maanderx New Member

For me cycling is an activity, a pastime. I don't race, or compete, so for me it's not a sport (unless I'm watching it on the telly).

14. Zackiac

Zackiac New Member

I agree with maanderx, I don't really see cycling as a sport. For me, it is just something I do in-between watching TV or other hobbies that I do. I could say it just another hobby I do. Moreover, when I go bike riding, I am with my friends and we tend to race each other as a little competition, so I guess I do benefit a lot from it, by improving my ability in cycling and by gaining higher fitness levels.

15. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Gloves and a water bottle.:)