Why Disks on High end bikes?

mike

Guest
Ok, before I start out, let me describe the riding conditions in our
area.
I am primarily a XC rider, riding in everything from hard pack, hills,
gravel, swamps, clay, heavy mud and sometimes deep water. We have had
an extremely wet summer, so everything is generally wet.

One of the main people I ride/train with, just recently purchased a
+/- $5000 bike, with all the goodies, including disk brakes.
After our first ride, which included allot of water, mud and clay, his
disk brakes started making noise. The bike has been in for service,
disks trued, and still there is noise when he is not using the brakes.

Now, my question;
Why on earth, would anyone want disk brakes on a bike that they are
actually going to use for off-road riding?

His bike does not stop any better then mine with Shimano V-brakes
(wet, dry, packed with clay/mud).
His braking system is heavier and more complex then mine.
His disk brakes have very little clearance/tolerance. I have +/- 1/8
of an inch between my pads and my rims. Makes getting the **** out of
my brakes easy while on the trail.

Currently, I am in the market for a new bike in the $2500 - $4000
range.
As it stands, I can either purchase a lower end bike with V-brakes
(more then likely spend hours repairing it), custom build my own
(expensive and pron to component compatibility issues), or purchase
the bike of choice, remove the disk brakes, and install V-brakes,
provided the frame/forks have the mounting points (which is
unlikely).

I apologise for the rant.

Mike
mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

Per mike:
>His bike does not stop any better then mine with Shimano V-brakes
>(wet, dry, packed with clay/mud).
>His braking system is heavier and more complex then mine.
>His disk brakes have very little clearance/tolerance. I have +/- 1/8
>of an inch between my pads and my rims. Makes getting the **** out of
>my brakes easy while on the trail.

No rim wear when riding in mud.

Better modulation - like when descending a steep gravel-covered
slope slowly.

The ability to ride home on a moderately-taco-d wheel

More predictable performance in wet conditions.

After a crash, no chance of pads bearing on a sidewall and the
rider not noticing until the tire blows out. Been there...-)

I could go either way most of the time, but disc brakes do have
their advantages.
--
PeteCresswell

"mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ok, before I start out, let me describe the riding conditions in our
> area.
> I am primarily a XC rider, riding in everything from hard pack, hills,
> gravel, swamps, clay, heavy mud and sometimes deep water. We have had
> an extremely wet summer, so everything is generally wet.
>
> One of the main people I ride/train with, just recently purchased a
> +/- $5000 bike, with all the goodies, including disk brakes.
> After our first ride, which included allot of water, mud and clay, his
> disk brakes started making noise. The bike has been in for service,
> disks trued, and still there is noise when he is not using the brakes.

Ah, more money than sense, buys a $5000 bike and doesn't even know how to
request a bike that fits his needs.

> Now, my question;
> Why on earth, would anyone want disk brakes on a bike that they are
> actually going to use for off-road riding?
>
> His bike does not stop any better then mine with Shimano V-brakes
> (wet, dry, packed with clay/mud).

He must have some awefully shittily maintained brakes if your v-brakes work
as well in all conditions. But that's usually the case with people who have
more money than sense relying on others to prep their equipment.

> His braking system is heavier and more complex then mine.
> His disk brakes have very little clearance/tolerance. I have +/- 1/8
> of an inch between my pads and my rims. Makes getting the **** out of
> my brakes easy while on the trail.
>
> Currently, I am in the market for a new bike in the $2500 - $4000
> range.

Wow, $2500 and up for a freakin' bicycle. ****, I can buy a used motorcycle
for that much and have way more fun.

Do you really ride or are you just another cheesy troll?

Greg
--
Ticketbastard tax tracker:
http://ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

"After our first ride, which included allot of water, mud and clay, his
disk brakes started making noise."

Some disk brake systems are not broken in after one ride. The rotors/ pads
require some high speed burnishing to settle in. His manual should tell
him.
--

On Jul 20, 2:43 pm, mike <[email protected]> wrote:

> Now, my question;
> Why on earth, would anyone want disk brakes on a bike that they are
> actually going to use for off-road riding?

Because in a lot (most) of riding they're better than v-brakes.
Especialy in wet and muddy conditions. The only guys I ride with who
still use v's are weight weenies and guys who ride ol' skool frames
(no fittings for disks).

Grow up and go buy a bike with disks.