Why do handlebars need to be so wide?

Hull Fulweiler

Guest
I'm considering shortening my handlebars on a hybrid I use to get around
town and occasionally ride for exercise. I figure that I'll be able to
squeeze pass stopped cars more easily and be more aerodynamic. I've heard
that having your hands close together makes it harder to breath but I ride
this way frequently and never noticed it myself. Can somebody talk me out
of this?

Hull Fulweiler

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:12:06 +0000, Hull Fulweiler wrote:

> I'm considering shortening my handlebars on a hybrid I use to get around
> town and occasionally ride for exercise. I figure that I'll be able to
> squeeze pass stopped cars more easily and be more aerodynamic. I've heard
> that having your hands close together makes it harder to breath but I ride
> this way frequently and never noticed it myself. Can somebody talk me out
> of this?
>
> Hull Fulweiler

No, I've hacksawed many a city handlebar. :D Start with an inch or two and
see how it feels. Replacement straight bars are cheap if you screw up. LOL

better yet replace them with something classier and more comfy for city
riding:

http://store.yahoo.com/momovelo/nialbar.html

and my favourite, the classic 3speed "dove" bar
http://store.yahoo.com/momovelo/rifaba.html

Hull Fulweiler wrote:
> I'm considering shortening my handlebars

No wonder they're so wide. You're using more than ONE.

Bill "pet peeve" S.

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:28:43 +0000, S o r n i wrote:

> Hull Fulweiler wrote:
>> I'm considering shortening my handlebars

> No wonder they're so wide. You're using more than ONE.
>
> Bill "pet peeve" S.

You're the guy who likes a pleated pant as well, not to mention your chain
link fent.

LOL

Hull Fulweiler wrote:
|| I'm considering shortening my handlebars on a hybrid I use to get
|| around town and occasionally ride for exercise. I figure that I'll
|| be able to squeeze pass stopped cars more easily and be more
|| aerodynamic. I've heard that having your hands close together makes
|| it harder to breath but I ride this way frequently and never noticed
|| it myself. Can somebody talk me out of this?
|| Hull Fulweiler

I thought wider handlebars gave better control.

Hull Fulweiler wrote:
> I'm considering shortening my handlebars on a hybrid I use to get
> around town and occasionally ride for exercise. I figure that I'll
> be able to squeeze pass stopped cars more easily and be more
> aerodynamic. I've heard that having your hands close together makes
> it harder to breath but I ride this way frequently and never noticed
> it myself. Can somebody talk me out of this?
>
> Hull Fulweiler

I'm going to shorten a pair of my handlebars in just a few minutes, I've
done it before with good results.
I like my hands to be slightly closer together than my shoulders. The
handling is different but doesn't take much getting used to. The benefits
are comfort, aerodynamics, maneuverability in traffic and I guess a weight
benefit as well.

"Hull Fulweiler" <[email protected]> wrote in news:aOxNc.141863$OB3.1962
@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:
> I'm considering shortening my handlebars on a hybrid I use to get around
> town and occasionally ride for exercise. I figure that I'll be able to
> squeeze pass stopped cars more easily and be more aerodynamic.

They don't need to be so wide. Mountain bikers regularly hack saw an inch or
two off of each end of their handlebars. A wide bar improves slow speed
maneuverability, but many people (especially skinnier people) are happy with
somewhat narrower bars. Try moving your grips inward first. Don't cut until
you find a nice position for all the terrain types you experience.

"Hull Fulweiler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I'm considering shortening my handlebars on a hybrid I use to get
> around town and occasionally ride for exercise. I figure that I'll
> be able to squeeze pass stopped cars more easily and be more
> aerodynamic.

If you want to be more aerodynamic put on clip-on aero bars. A couple of
centimetres won't make any noticeable difference.

> I've heard that having your hands close together makes
> it harder to breath

Not on a hybrid it doesn't. You're typically talking about going from a
58cm flat/riser bar to a 56cm flat bar, not a 40cm to 38cm drop bar. No way
it's going to adversely effect your breathing.

> but I ride this way frequently and never noticed
> it myself. Can somebody talk me out of this?

It's not such a big deal. It'll cost you a few dollars for a new bar and
about 30 minutes to swap everything over. If you don't like it put
everything back the way it was.

--

A: Top-posters.

> Can somebody talk me out of this?
>
> Hull Fulweiler

Ok, Don't do it!!! Whatever you do, don't do that!!

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:12:06 GMT, "Hull Fulweiler"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm considering shortening my handlebars on a hybrid I use to get around
>town and occasionally ride for exercise. I figure that I'll be able to
>squeeze pass stopped cars more easily and be more aerodynamic. I've heard
>that having your hands close together makes it harder to breath but I ride
>this way frequently and never noticed it myself. Can somebody talk me out
>of this?
>
>Hull Fulweiler

Go for it. It's your bike, make it work how you want it to work. I've
used a tubing cutter with good results.

If your hybrid has riser bars- not uncommon- the only thing to watch
out for is if your brake levers will be able to slide in far enough.
Loosen them up and see where the bend of the riser stops them- pay
attention to rotation because this also affects how far they can go
in.

If you have flat bars, I've seen people with them cut off very short,
so the brakes slide all the way to the bulge. A bit much for me, but
it must make cutting between cars easier.

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:55:17 -0700, Dan Daniel
<[email protected]> wrote:

>If you have flat bars, I've seen people with them cut off very short,
>so the brakes slide all the way to the bulge. A bit much for me, but
>it must make cutting between cars easier.

That'd be like riding on the tops of my drop bars all the time--not
what I want when I'm in traffic.

I have seen messengers do this, though, so I suppose this, as many
other things, is a personal preference.

-Luigi

In article <[email protected]>,
"Hull Fulweiler" <[email protected]> writes:
> I'm considering shortening my handlebars on a hybrid I use to get around
> town and occasionally ride for exercise. I figure that I'll be able to
> squeeze pass stopped cars more easily and be more aerodynamic. I've heard
> that having your hands close together makes it harder to breath but I ride
> this way frequently and never noticed it myself. Can somebody talk me out
> of this?

Wide handlebars are ghastly when local regulations compel
you to ride on the sidewalk when crossing a bridge.

They can also get in the way when parking in a bike rack
that already has other bikes in it.

cheers,
Tom