Why do I get dropped?

On Jun 14, 12:26 am, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 14, 8:31 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > That said, hey, you think we could convince Joseph to train with a
> > parachute on his back?

> >http://www.timeforfitness.com/running/pro_power_chute.htm

> > You'll need the big model Joseph, because you're a big guy.

> > (This is going to be so cool!)

> The hard-core adventurer ski-types around here go running on trails in
> the woods in the summer with a car tire attached to their belt
> dragging behind them. I suppose I could attach my kiddie trailer to my
> race bike and fill it with rocks.
>
> Joseph

You and David Michael Anthony:

http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/WHEELS/wheel_riders-anthony.html

Ben

p.s. Isn't running towing a car tire a good way to
equalize the level of trail damage between runners
and dirt bikes?

On Jun 14, 9:24 am, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> > 1. Lose weight
> > 2. Know the course
> > 3. Suck more
> > 4. Do intervals
> > 5. Lose weight

> I suppose for point 1 I could eat less, and point 5 I could buy a
> lighter bike. That's an approved FM solution, right?

Dumbass,

A true Fatty Master will just buy a lighter bike and forget the other
four.

<[email protected]> wrote:

> I think I may try some more structured interval training on my trainer
> and occasionally out on a hill. In the pre-season before there were
> events I was doing long easy rides, and intervals on my rollers. 5x8
> minutes at 93% max HR. Maybe I should do shorter but harder? Now that
> there events (average 2 per week) I only ride long rides and the races
> but no intervals.

1. Racing is training.
2. Max HR doesn't change much as fitness changes (it changes a little,
but not much), so using MaxHR to guide intensity isn't as precise as
using fitness to guide intensity.
3. One type of structured interval training isn't a cure for all
things. Sometimes you'll want to do longer less intense intervals,
sometimes you'll want shorter more intense intervals. A coach can help
you determine what you need to do, and when.

On Jun 13, 5:27 pm, Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote:

> If you have a power meter you could try racing with the power meter and
> see at what wattage you're getting dropped.

Being able to record and then review the race is key.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Jun 14, 9:24 am, "[email protected]"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> 1. Lose weight
>>> 2. Know the course
>>> 3. Suck more
>>> 4. Do intervals
>>> 5. Lose weight

>> I suppose for point 1 I could eat less, and point 5 I could buy a
>> lighter bike. That's an approved FM solution, right?

> Dumbass,
>
> A true Fatty Master will just buy a lighter bike and forget the other
> four.

Don't forget the titanium water bottle cage.

I wonder what percentage of CTS's business is fatty masters. One of
the keys to LANCE's success was 2, pre-ride the course.

Bob Schwartz

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 00:14:11 -0700, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Jun 14, 12:55 am, Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Humans aren't evolved to be
>> 205lbs.

>This particular one was ;-)
>
>Joseph
>
>PS: Ok, 200 maybe.

There are some guys around here with some funny ideas about how humans are built
and what are appropriate portions of fat and muscle. Don't worry about it
because they are really easy to beat up.

Ron

On Jun 14, 5:45 am, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Don't forget the titanium water bottle cage.

LOL.

I have King cages. They don't break like Al -- so I doubt they are
more expensive over the long run (none of my Kings have broken). They
grip the bottle great -- it never pops out over rough patches. They
don't seem to lose the grip over time. Yes, they're light.

I'm a cheap *******, but even I had to admit they were worth the price.

On Jun 14, 11:54 am, [email protected] wrote:
> On Jun 13, 5:27 pm, Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > If you have a power meter you could try racing with the power meter and
> > see at what wattage you're getting dropped.

> Being able to record and then review the race is key.

Any thoughts on the new Polar CS600 with the new power meter? I never
liked the wristwatch aspect of the 725 (I like holding my bars in the
middle and it's a bike computer dammit!) and the wire mess and
installation issues of the power sensor didn't help either. But the
CS600 seems more to my liking. The calibration method seems a little
suspect, but the portability between bikes and between different
wheels and cranks is appealing.

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:
> The hard-core adventurer ski-types around here go running on trails in
> the woods in the summer with a car tire attached to their belt
> dragging behind them. I suppose I could attach my kiddie trailer to my
> race bike and fill it with rocks.

Rocks, Schmocks! Put the *kids* in the trailer. They can be great
slavedrive^h^h^h^h^h^h^h motivators. "Go faster, Daddy!"

Mark J.

On Jun 14, 9:13 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Any thoughts on the new Polar CS600 with the new power meter? I never
> liked the wristwatch aspect of the 725 (I like holding my bars in the
> middle and it's a bike computer dammit!) and the wire mess and
> installation issues of the power sensor didn't help either. But the
> CS600 seems more to my liking. The calibration method seems a little
> suspect, but the portability between bikes and between different
> wheels and cranks is appealing.

I've never used the Polar power unit but reports I've heard suggest
that as far as functionality goes, it's not much different than the
old S710 power unit. Installation is supposed to be a little bit
easier, but only a very little bit, i.e., it has a pretty high fiddle
factor. Compared to the SRM, PT, and Ergomo, it has limited storage
memory. The reports also say that it doesn't work very well on a
trainer, though I've never been quite sure why. It does have an
altimeter, and if you were a triathlete then it could be quite useful
to have a HRM that worked across all disciplines. However, I'm not a
triathlete and I prefer a power meter whose accuracy is checkable.

I've been examining iBike files, too. It's good for some things but
I'm not sure it's precise enough to use as a guide for power training.
That is, in terms of guiding power training it's about as precise as
using a HRM -- but the problem is that it costs quite a bit more than
a HRM.

In article <[email protected]>,
SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Jun 14, 5:45 am, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > Don't forget the titanium water bottle cage.

> LOL.
>
> I have King cages. They don't break like Al -- so I doubt they are
> more expensive over the long run (none of my Kings have broken). They
> grip the bottle great -- it never pops out over rough patches. They
> don't seem to lose the grip over time. Yes, they're light.
>
> I'm a cheap *******, but even I had to admit they were worth the price.

Those are great cages. They should last the rest of your life. You can spend about
the same on some carbon cages that don't grip as well as the aluminum ones and will
probably break just as fast (or faster). King Cages are a good investment.

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:26:06 -0700, Howard Kveck
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 14, 5:45 am, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Don't forget the titanium water bottle cage.

>> LOL.
>>
>> I have King cages. They don't break like Al -- so I doubt they are
>> more expensive over the long run (none of my Kings have broken). They
>> grip the bottle great -- it never pops out over rough patches. They
>> don't seem to lose the grip over time. Yes, they're light.
>>
>> I'm a cheap *******, but even I had to admit they were worth the price.

> Those are great cages. They should last the rest of your life. You can spend about
>the same on some carbon cages that don't grip as well as the aluminum ones and will
>probably break just as fast (or faster). King Cages are a good investment.

I'm thinking of getting them, though I have to say that the steel King
cages I have are pretty amazing -- good grip and don't mark the
bottles. I'm not sure if the Ti ones could be better. I think I have
lost a bottle once in about six years on the king cages, and that was
on a bumpy dirt road downhill.

--
JT
****************************

In article
<[email protected].
com>,
Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Jun 14, 5:45 am, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Don't forget the titanium water bottle cage.

> > LOL.
> >
> > I have King cages. They don't break like Al -- so I doubt they are
> > more expensive over the long run (none of my Kings have broken). They
> > grip the bottle great -- it never pops out over rough patches. They
> > don't seem to lose the grip over time. Yes, they're light.
> >
> > I'm a cheap *******, but even I had to admit they were worth the price.

> Those are great cages. They should last the rest of your life. You can spend about
> the same on some carbon cages that don't grip as well as the aluminum ones and will
> probably break just as fast (or faster). King Cages are a good investment.

I understand perfectly the imponderables that accompany
ownership of this bottle cage. The following is for
amusement only.

King titanium bottle cage weight: 28 g.
The identical design in stainless steel (Blackburn) weight: 40 g.
Weight savings = $3.85 / g = $105 / oz.

--
Michael Press

In article <[email protected]>,
John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:26:06 -0700, Howard Kveck
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>,
> > SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> LOL.
> >>
> >> I have King cages. They don't break like Al -- so I doubt they are
> >> more expensive over the long run (none of my Kings have broken). They
> >> grip the bottle great -- it never pops out over rough patches. They
> >> don't seem to lose the grip over time. Yes, they're light.
> >>
> >> I'm a cheap *******, but even I had to admit they were worth the price.

> > Those are great cages. They should last the rest of your life. You can
> > spend about
> >the same on some carbon cages that don't grip as well as the aluminum ones
> >and will
> >probably break just as fast (or faster). King Cages are a good investment.

> I'm thinking of getting them, though I have to say that the steel King
> cages I have are pretty amazing -- good grip and don't mark the
> bottles. I'm not sure if the Ti ones could be better. I think I have
> lost a bottle once in about six years on the king cages, and that was
> on a bumpy dirt road downhill.

I went with the titanium Kings after having a rash of broken Blackburn cages (and
the associated bottle / liquids loss). I haven't had a bottle come out since (at
least on a King cage equipped bike - I did lose one out of an aluminum cage a couple
of years ago, which bounced back into my rear wheel and tore the valve stem off).

--

Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article
> <[email protected].
> com>,
> Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > LOL.
> > >
> > > I have King cages. They don't break like Al -- so I doubt they are
> > > more expensive over the long run (none of my Kings have broken). They
> > > grip the bottle great -- it never pops out over rough patches. They
> > > don't seem to lose the grip over time. Yes, they're light.
> > >
> > > I'm a cheap *******, but even I had to admit they were worth the price.

> > Those are great cages. They should last the rest of your life. You can
> > spend about
> > the same on some carbon cages that don't grip as well as the aluminum ones
> > and will
> > probably break just as fast (or faster). King Cages are a good investment.

> I understand perfectly the imponderables that accompany
> ownership of this bottle cage. The following is for
> amusement only.
>
> King titanium bottle cage weight: 28 g.
> The identical design in stainless steel (Blackburn) weight: 40 g.
> Weight savings = $3.85 / g = $105 / oz.

Huh, that *is* kind of amusing. A couple of things: I'd had poor luck with
Blackburn cages over the years, and when I got the Kings, I only paid $25 each. I
notice they've gone up a bit (heh). Still think they're worth it.

--

William Asher wrote:
> Anyway, WTF is all this talk of bottle cages? I thought all the cool
> master-fatty people had full time-trial monocoque frames setups with no
> cages and used Camelbaks instead.

Dumbass,

LANCE's TT bike had an internal camelback. Anything less is for
trailer trash.

Bob Schwartz

In article
<u%[email protected]>,
wrote:

> William Asher wrote:
> > Anyway, WTF is all this talk of bottle cages? I thought all the cool
> > master-fatty people had full time-trial monocoque frames setups with no
> > cages and used Camelbaks instead.

> Dumbass,
>
> LANCE's TT bike had an internal camelback. Anything less is for
> trailer trash.

And the bicycle got lighter as the ride progressed.

--
Michael Press

On Jun 15, 9:35 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <u%[email protected]>,
> Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
>
> wrote:
> > William Asher wrote:
> > > Anyway, WTF is all this talk of bottle cages? I thought all the cool
> > > master-fatty people had full time-trial monocoque frames setups with no
> > > cages and used Camelbaks instead.

> > Dumbass,

> > LANCE's TT bike had an internal camelback. Anything less is for
> > trailer trash.

> And the bicycle got lighter as the ride progressed.
>
> --
> Michael Press

When I want my bike to be lighter, like when I'm approaching a climb,
I just put my water bottles in my pockets.

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:

<snip>
> When I want my bike to be lighter, like when I'm approaching a climb,
> I just put my water bottles in my pockets.

If you carry a tank of compressed hydrogen, as you start the climbs you can
fill the headspace of the camelbak, the frame, and your intestines with
hydrogen.

Alternatively, you can juggle the water bottles.

--
Bill Asher