Why do I get flats in the rain?



Dr.Hairybiker

New Member
Aug 23, 2004
197
0
0
I don't understand it. Is it because the rain makes stuff stick to the tires more? Every freakin time I ride any distance in the rain I end up getting a flat, usually when I'm shot and wanting to get home. Can anyone expain it?
 

artmichalek

New Member
Sep 15, 2004
2,010
0
0
40
When you ride those same roads dry do you find yourself dodging a lot of broken glass? Rain makes that stuff almost impossible to avoid.
 

mtnbiker371

New Member
Jul 16, 2004
19
0
0
51
You are correct - wet tires pick up all kinds of debris and are more likely to puncture.

Dr.Hairybiker said:
I don't understand it. Is it because the rain makes stuff stick to the tires more? Every freakin time I ride any distance in the rain I end up getting a flat, usually when I'm shot and wanting to get home. Can anyone expain it?
 

BomoSammo

New Member
Apr 26, 2005
44
0
0
mtnbiker371 said:
You are correct - wet tires pick up all kinds of debris and are more likely to puncture.
Also, the water acts as a lubricant (in the cutting process) so it's a lot easier for sharp debris to slice through the tyre.
 

GucciPucci

New Member
Jul 24, 2005
55
0
0
35
Not to hijack this thread. But would it be recommended to just not ride in the rain, then?

Or should I just try and stear clear of roads that seem a bit.. over-used and accident prone?
 

John M

New Member
Jun 21, 2005
1,404
0
0
GucciPucci said:
Not to hijack this thread. But would it be recommended to just not ride in the rain, then?

Or should I just try and stear clear of roads that seem a bit.. over-used and accident prone?

Avoiding debris strewn roads is always a good idea, but perhaps a more puncture resistant tire would be a better option. Certainly better than staying home.
 

alienator

Well-Known Member
Jun 10, 2004
12,596
310
0
GucciPucci said:
Not to hijack this thread. But would it be recommended to just not ride in the rain, then?

Or should I just try and stear clear of roads that seem a bit.. over-used and accident prone?

He*l no. I'm fantasizing about getting caught in the rain for an hour so on my bike.....but to date the monsoons have to find me. Bastards.

So what kind of tire are you using that flats so much?
 

BomoSammo

New Member
Apr 26, 2005
44
0
0
alienator said:
He*l no. I'm fantasizing about getting caught in the rain for an hour so on my bike.....but to date the monsoons have to find me. Bastards.

You should come and live in England . . . they'll find you soon enough !
 

robkit

New Member
Dec 11, 2003
273
0
0
46
i definately puncture more in the rain, probably get 4 wet puctures for every 1 dry.

i think its due to the rain washing debris from the roadside verges onto the road itself.
 

cmoore992002

New Member
Nov 25, 2004
49
0
0
I think riding in the rain is great. My wife thinks I am a nut. Now getting back to the original question. To avoid future flats get some kevlar lined tires. I was having a terrible time with flats until I switched to Armadillo All Conditions. I have been riding the same set for about a year now with no flats. I have even picked out pieces of broken glass from the tires. Some say they are too slow but they are perfect for me.
 

domaindomain

New Member
Dec 20, 2004
383
0
0
And I am sure that the rain washes all the crud into the road from the edges etc.

Kevlar tyres will help but the first rain after a decent dry spell does seem to bring punctures with it

Cheers
 

DannoXYZ

New Member
Jul 21, 2003
89
0
0
Kevlar-belted touring tyres, 28mm mininum with lower-pressure. Add in a kelvar or plastic liner underneath as well. And use a thorn-resistant tube with thicker rubber on the outside. Add some slime/sealant in the tube and you're invincible!
 

tcklyde

New Member
Dec 17, 2003
1,437
0
0
45
BomoSammo said:
Also, the water acts as a lubricant (in the cutting process) so it's a lot easier for sharp debris to slice through the tyre.

This is the most significant reason.

Fixing a flat in the rain sucks, but the more you do it the quicker it can be done. Carry a spare tube.
 

Spirou

New Member
Mar 5, 2004
2
0
0
The reason you get more punctures when its raining its because the water turns the stones/debrie, until the sharpest point is pointing upwards

(my english sucks)
 

Dweezle

New Member
Mar 4, 2005
42
0
0
The reason we have more flats in the rain is because it's wet, cold and uncomfortable to sit by the side of the road in the rain fixing a flat, and the Universe has a sense of humor.

;)
 

Patrick88

New Member
Aug 25, 2004
40
2
0
35
Dr.Hairybiker said:
I don't understand it. Is it because the rain makes stuff stick to the tires more? Every freakin time I ride any distance in the rain I end up getting a flat, usually when I'm shot and wanting to get home. Can anyone expain it?
Rain washes all the debris out of the small holes in the road that glass and such hides in. This causes it to be exposed in the rain and so you get more punctures. I was told that at the LBS once.