Why do I weigh so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Jackrabbit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >
>
> Yeah, but the problem with beer is that it's very more-ish. When was the last time you drank 8
> pints of milk and then went for a curry?

Milk is seen as a good, healthy drink and beer as bad. I was only pointing out that beer has no
dairy fats like milk and has less calories.

> I seem to remember that beer is around 250 - 350 calories a pint. 4 or 5 pints would then be about
> 1/2 your RDA of calories, so it's definitely not part of ones calorie controlled diet

Well, it's all about calories in and calories out. Since I ride 5000 miles a year, play soccer and
have a full time job and do not gain any weight at all, then I can't be doing much wrong. I agree
that if one sat on the settee watching TV and drank half a gallon a day then that would not be wise.
--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Daniel Auger <[email protected]> wrote:

: I thought a pint of beer was about 200 calories (5-6 miles on a bike)?

Dunno about the calories in beer, but I can safely say that unless you are riding that 5 miles flat,
flat out you won't burn 200 calories in 5 miles.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org Power is delightful. Absolute power is absolutely delightful -
Lord Lester

Arthur Clune wrote:
>
> Daniel Auger <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : I thought a pint of beer was about 200 calories (5-6 miles on a bike)?
>
> Dunno about the calories in beer, but I can safely say that unless you are riding that 5 miles
> flat, flat out you won't burn 200 calories in 5 miles.

Arthur, where do you get your calorie consumption data from?

Take a look at table here - http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/9.23.html

For my weight and pace, 200 calories in 5 miles is a reasonable estimate.

Mike

"Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "Jackrabbit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > >
> >
> > Yeah, but the problem with beer is that it's very more-ish. When was the last time you drank 8
> > pints of milk and then went for a curry?
>
> Milk is seen as a good, healthy drink and beer as bad. I was only pointing out that beer has no
> dairy fats like milk and has less calories.
<snip> I love this one. Apparently there is a vested interest in keeping us buying milk, mainly
supported by the milk marketing board. I heard a couple of interesting statements recently along the
lines of 50% of the worlds population think we are wierd for drinking milk after we've been weaned
off the breast and of that 50%, 75% think we're even wierder for drinking another species milk,
mostly something that was designed for an animal with 4 stomachs......I thought 'hhmmmm...
interesting point.' Since then I've swapped onto Soya milk, Alpro being the tastiest. No problems.
I'm also concerned that growth hormones and other fun stuff could be passed on through the milk into
the human food chain, hence the recent massive increase in obesity. Got my son and wife onto organic
milk, which is a step in the right direction,...... I'll get me bike, Dave.

"Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message

From http://www.aso.org.uk

"The big-bellied beer-swilling man [...] The Whitehall II Study of men in different professional
grades picks up some of these men in the unskilled category and shows that their fatness tends to be
related more to beer consumption than to wines and spirits [...] What does appear to be true is that
excess beer consumption does tend to encourage intra-abdominal (belly) fat, which is more dangerous
to health. The reasons for this are not fully understood, but may relate to the release of fat from
the liver. It is often suggested that it is the carbohydrate in beer which actually causes the
weight gain, but it should be noted that in a typical draft beer the calories from alcohol are 2.5
times those from carbohydrate (Source: McCance and Widdowson's Composition of Foods, HMSO)."

AIUI the traditional "beer gut" comes partly from fluid retention, and partly from the effect of
excess calories. Wine has more calories (and more alcohol) per unit volume, but of course one
consumes less voume.

--
Guy
===
I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> In terms of weight loss, theres not much point in exercising, it just makes you hungrier.

You're not working hard enough then! [grin] I can't face anything except fluids after a decent ride.

Robert

Try avoiding heavy carbs and starchy food late in the day, so do not eat potatoes, pasta, rice or
bread in the evenings, only eat them for brekky or lunch, stick to protein in the evenings, meat,
fish, eggs etc..., with some salad.

Try getting wasted on spirits more, once you jettison your liver you will weigh less, I'm working on
this myself.

Ian

Simon Mason wrote:

> Milk is seen as a good, healthy drink and beer as bad. I was only pointing out that beer has no
> dairy fats like milk and has less calories.

Problem here, Simon, is that a mixture of cornflakes and beer just tastes plain lousy :)

Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
===========================================================

Mike K Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

: Arthur, where do you get your calorie consumption data from?

: Take a look at table here - http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/9.23.html

: For my weight and pace, 200 calories in 5 miles is a reasonable estimate.

For me, from that table, 150lbs weight, 18mph (this is going to have to be the average speed).

5 miles takes 0.26 of an hour, so I'd burn 200 calories. hm..

However, it seems high to me based on heartrate etc data. My heartrate monitor makes an estimate of
calories burnt given weight (and of course heartrate).

For a non-stop 60 mile steady paced ride (17-18mph average few hills) I generally find it saving
that I've burnt 1800-2000 calories. So 1/12 of that is 150 - 167 calories. 5 miles round town (much
slower) is going to be even fewer. Probably < 100.

I'm of course aware that these numbers aren't very accurate either, but they'll be a lot more
accurate than a standard table.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org Power is delightful. Absolute power is absolutely delightful -
Lord Lester

"Robert McDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > In terms of weight loss, theres not much point in exercising, it just
makes
> > you hungrier.
>
> You're not working hard enough then! [grin] I can't face anything except fluids after a
> decent ride.

I must admit I try hard not to try to hard on the bike. I started cycling as a means to be able to
go touring. I even went out on the penines and tried to keep below 65% max HR. Very trundly indeed.

However, I have done 1/2M's and 10Ks running. Give it an hour or so and I'm able to empty
the kitchen.

[Interleaved quoting: please read to end for all comments] Dave wrote in uk.rec.cycling: about: Re:
Why do I weigh so much.

>> Milk is seen as a good, healthy drink and beer as bad. I was only pointing out that beer has no
>> dairy fats like milk and has less calories.
><snip> I love this one. Apparently there is a vested interest in keeping us buying milk, mainly
>supported by the milk marketing board.

Oh hell, yeah. It's like the sugar and salt industries as well. Irrespective of the fact that too
much fat and too much sugar and salt are incredibly bad for us, 'there are jobs at stake'. And
what's more important, overall human health, or job retention.. :-(

(ObCycling: those displaced from the salt industry could find useful jobs as, say, stationmasters at
all those 'unsafe' unstaffed stations so as to encourage people onto PT..)

> I heard a couple of interesting statements recently along the lines of 50% of the worlds
> population think we are wierd for drinking milk after we've been weaned off the breast and of that
> 50%, 75% think we're even wierder for drinking another species milk, mostly something that was
> designed for an animal with 4 stomachs......I thought 'hhmmmm... interesting point.'

It's true though, isn't it!

> Since then I've swapped onto Soya milk, Alpro being the tastiest.

The snag is that soya milk costs an absolute bomb. :-( Milk production is doubtlessly one of those
things that gets farming subsidies, whereas I'm pretty sure soya production doesn't.

At about a quid ago for 1l of soya milk versus about 35p for 1l of cow's milk, there's not really
much incentive to switch..

The thing is, I don't think I could easily give up milk entirely. While I don't consume much milk, I
like cheese too much (well, pizza in particular ;-), and having to scrutinise the ingredients of
everything to check no milk has snuck in would be just too much hassle (even most sunflower
margarines have various milk products in them).

> concerned that growth hormones and other fun stuff could be passed on through the milk into the
> human food chain, hence the recent massive increase in obesity. Got my son and wife onto organic
> milk, which is a step in the right direction,......

Certainly too much dairy fats will be an influencing factor in obesity, yes.

--
David Marsh, <reply-to-email is valid at time of writing> | Glasgow, Scotland. [en, fr, (de)] |
http://web.viewport.co.uk/ | Learn usenet and netiquette: read news:news.announce.newusers |
>I scorefile posters who don't quote in traditional interleaved style.<
begin Once upon a time, there was a badly-broken newsreader program...

Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
: swapped onto Soya milk, Alpro being the tastiest. No problems. I'm also concerned that growth
: hormones and other fun stuff could be passed on through the milk into the human food chain, hence
: the recent massive increase in obesity. Got my son and wife onto organic milk, which is a step

Are you in the US?

If you're in the UK that's not a problem - growth hormones aren't legal for use in the EU. Yeah
for the EU.

The US is taking the EU to the WTO over this.

Arthur

--
Lord Lester

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>
> However, I have done 1/2M's and 10Ks running. Give it an hour or so and
I'm
> able to empty the kitchen.

Sound's like my daughter - thin as a rake but her idea of a small snack is open the fridge
and inhale!

pk

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Dave <[email protected]> wrote:

> If you're in the UK that's not a problem - growth hormones aren't legal for use in the EU. Yeah
> for the EU. The US is taking the EU to the WTO over this.

Obviously. The US embargoed European orange juice because it weas contaminated with dangerous levels
of frozen reconstituted orange juice, that's perfectly legitimate, but apparently it's too hard to
identify which soya crops contain GM and which milk contains growth hormones, so we're in breach of
International Law[1] trying to control their import. After all, how can genetically modified
material or artificial hormones possibly pose a threat on the scale of freezing and reconstituting?

Now ask an American about US tariffs on steel, chickens or light trucks. I bet they have no idea
these exist.

<http://www.foodmarketexchange.com/datacenter/laws/dc_lr_tariff_02.htm>

Yes, I know tariffs are different from bans.

[1] International Law being indistinguishable in most cases from "do what the US wants."

--
Guy
===
I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

In news:[email protected], David Marsh
<[email protected]> typed:
> [Interleaved quoting: please read to end for all comments] Dave wrote in uk.rec.cycling:
>> Since then I've swapped onto Soya milk, Alpro being the tastiest.
>
> The snag is that soya milk costs an absolute bomb. :-( Milk production is doubtlessly one of those
> things that gets farming subsidies, whereas I'm pretty sure soya production doesn't.
>
> At about a quid ago for 1l of soya milk versus about 35p for 1l of cow's milk, there's not really
> much incentive to switch..

Tescos and Morissons do it for 69p/65p respectively. The 65p Tesco value one isn't worth it, being
diluted and without the calcium of the ordinary.

> The thing is, I don't think I could easily give up milk entirely. While I don't consume much milk,
> I like cheese too much (well, pizza in particular ;-), and having to scrutinise the ingredients of
> everything to check no milk has snuck in would be just too much hassle (even most sunflower
> margarines have various milk products in them).

Nobody's forcing you not to eat milk. And there's nothing wrong with having some soya and some cow's
milk. The Pure range of margarines^W spreads are dairy free, if you want that.

Ambrose

On 13 Jun 2003 11:24:08 GMT, "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Daniel Auger <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>: I thought a pint of beer was about 200 calories (5-6 miles on a bike)?
>
>Dunno about the calories in beer, but I can safely say that unless you are riding that 5 miles
>flat, flat out you won't burn 200 calories in 5 miles.

How much difference does the effort or speed make? I would've thought that you'd use more or less
the same energy riding 10 miles in an hour as you would by doing 10 miles in half an hour, given
that in the former although you're at a gentler pace you're in the saddle for twice as long.

Pete angeltec co uk

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> How much difference does the effort or speed make? I would've thought that you'd use more or less
> the same energy riding 10 miles in an hour as you would by doing 10 miles in half an hour, given
> that in the former although you're at a gentler pace you're in the saddle for twice as long.

There was a pile of 'evidence' that this was the case for walkers/runners recently.

My calorie calculator (and I can't remember where I downloaded it from) suggests:-

10 m at 10 mph = 328 calories of which 208 are 'extra' due to cycling

10 m at 20 mph = 410 calories of which 350 are 'extra'

Of course (unless you are on a recumbent which are claimed to have the magic property of eliminating
wind resistance) wind resistance rises as the 3rd or 4th power of speed :(

T

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 16:29:50 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Pete) wrote:

>How much difference does the effort or speed make? I would've thought that you'd use more or less
>the same energy riding 10 miles in an hour as you would by doing 10 miles in half an hour, given
>that in the former although you're at a gentler pace you're in the saddle for twice as long.

At 20mph most of the effort you do is against the wind, so you will do more work riding at 20mph for
half an hour as at 10mph for an hour.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 19:00:01 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 16:29:50 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Pete) wrote:
>
>>How much difference does the effort or speed make? I would've thought that you'd use more or less
>>the same energy riding 10 miles in an hour as you would by doing 10 miles in half an hour, given
>>that in the former although you're at a gentler pace you're in the saddle for twice as long.
>
>At 20mph most of the effort you do is against the wind, so you will do more work riding at 20mph
>for half an hour as at 10mph for an hour.

Good reasoning which I hadn't thought of, but then again, at 10 mph I'm in the (less) wind for
twice as long?

Pete (not at all into aerodynamics but just thinking logically - or illogically as it'll
probably turn out)

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:38:22 +0100, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Of course (unless you are on a recumbent which are claimed to have the magic property of
>eliminating wind resistance) wind resistance rises as the 3rd or 4th power of speed :(

It's not that bad. Wind resistance, or aerodynamic drag, varies with the square of speed. The power
required to overcome it, however, varies with the cube of speed.

--
Dave...

Status
Not open for further replies.