> On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:38:22 +0100, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Of course (unless you are on a recumbent which are claimed to have the
magic
> >property of eliminating wind resistance) wind resistance rises as the 3rd
or
> >4th power of speed :(
>
> It's not that bad. Wind resistance, or aerodynamic drag, varies with the square of speed. The
> power required to overcome it, however, varies with the cube of speed.

Thanks.

[email protected] (Pete) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 19:00:01 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 16:29:50 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Pete) wrote:
> >
> >>How much difference does the effort or speed make? I would've thought that you'd use more or
> >>less the same energy riding 10 miles in an hour as you would by doing 10 miles in half an
> >>hour, given that in the former although you're at a gentler pace you're in the saddle for
> >>twice as long.
> >
> >At 20mph most of the effort you do is against the wind, so you will do more work riding at 20mph
> >for half an hour as at 10mph for an hour.
>
> Good reasoning which I hadn't thought of, but then again, at 10 mph I'm in the (less) wind for
> twice as long?
>
> Pete (not at all into aerodynamics but just thinking logically - or illogically as it'll probably
> turn out)

But resistance is proportional (roughly speaking) to the square of the speed, so half the time, but
4 times the effort.

Bert Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

: But resistance is proportional (roughly speaking) to the square of the speed, so half the time,
: but 4 times the effort.

Right answer, but not quite the right reason. As said on other posts in this thread, resistance
(wind) is proportial to the square of the speed, but the power needed to overcome that resistance
goes up as the cube of the speed.

So you go twice as fast = 2*2*2 = 8 times the effort, but for only half as long, so that's 4 times
the effort expended in total.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org Power is delightful. Absolute power is absolutely delightful -
Lord Lester

[Interleaved quoting: please read to end for all comments] Ambrose Nankivell wrote in
uk.rec.cycling: about: Re: Why do I weigh so much.

> In news:[email protected], David Marsh
> <[email protected]> typed:
>>
>> At about a quid ago for 1l of soya milk versus about 35p for 1l of cow's milk, there's not really
>> much incentive to switch..
>
> Tescos and Morissons do it for 69p/65p respectively. The 65p Tesco value one isn't worth it, being
> diluted and without the calcium of the ordinary.

Ah, I must start shopping in Tesco's more often. Tesco's usually seem to have better range of
organic food than most supermarkets, on a vaguely related note.

Morissons? Never heard of them. We obviously don't get 'em round here.. :)

> Nobody's forcing you not to eat milk. And there's nothing wrong with having some soya and some
> cow's milk.

I know, but it's just one of those things that once you (well, me) start thinking about it, seems
to make more sense than not, which was the point the original poster was making. So while
weaning(!) myself off cheese might be difficult, I might as well just try to cut out all other
forms of milk if I can..

I suppose it's like driving: people do it because they just haven't thought about the alternatives,
but once you start thinking..

--
David Marsh, <reply-to-email is valid at time of writing> | Glasgow, Scotland. [en, fr, (de)] |
http://web.viewport.co.uk/ | Learn usenet and netiquette: read news:news.announce.newusers |
> Please trim & interleave quotes otherwise I will ignore your posts. <
begin Outlook is broken: see http://web.viewport.co.uk/doze/outbreak |

In article <[email protected]>, use-
[email protected] says...

> The thing is, I don't think I could easily give up milk entirely. While I don't consume much milk,
> I like cheese too much (well, pizza in particular ;-), and having to scrutinise the ingredients of
> everything to check no milk has snuck in would be just too much hassle (even most sunflower
> margarines have various milk products in them).

The Pure brand has no milk products in their sunflower or soya margarines. It seems to be available
at most supermarkets these days.

Colin

"David Marsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Ah, I must start shopping in Tesco's more often. Tesco's usually seem to have better range of
> organic food than most supermarkets, on a vaguely related note.

For a wide range of organic produce you need Waitrose. The fresh produce also lasts longer than it
takes to get home, which is a plus when compared to most supermarkets.

--
Guy
===
I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

[email protected] schreef ...

> I have found that borrowing the idea of the Atkins diet has helped. I have cut down on
> carbohydrates and occasionally cut them out altogether for a couple of days at a time. I haven't
> followed the diet strictly but when carbs are reduced or eliminated, I do manage to shift some of
> the weight. Up to half a stone in a week.
>
> My weakness is treating myself for succeeding with a small loss in having a few jars of lager at
> the weekend and then eating sandwiches afterwards as I feel so hungry. This is in part due to the
> restricted carb diet.

Try to find a balance between the "no carbs" and "carbs" days. The point is that carbohydrates that
are not burnt will be converted into fat. Carbs that you don't digest and/or do burn will therefore
never be converted into fat. That's why you lose weight quite easily.

--
Regards, Marten

"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Simon Mason wrote:
>
> > Milk is seen as a good, healthy drink and beer as bad. I was only pointing out that beer has no
> > dairy fats like milk and has less calories.
>
> Problem here, Simon, is that a mixture of cornflakes and beer just tastes plain lousy :)
>

Instantly conjures up images of the first live stage version of 'Bottom', involving Ade Edmondson, a
can of Heineken and a box of (solidified) Special K....

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 20:42:29 +0100, David Marsh <[email protected]> wrote:

>We ain't got no Waitroses in this country! In fact, I think even in England they're pretty much
>only a south-of-England thing, aren't they?

I can't help it if you live in the land of hand-woven porridge and man-eating midges can I?

>[1] ObCycling: I had a really fascinating conversation recently with a prominent English cycling
> activist

May we know who?

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

[Interleaved quoting: please read to end for all comments] Just zis Guy, you know? wrote in

> For a wide range of organic produce you need Waitrose. The fresh produce also lasts longer than it
> takes to get home, which is a plus when compared to most supermarkets.

<gentle ribbing> I always find it quite amusing how unaware we all are [1] of quite how diverse the
UK really is. We ain't got no Waitroses in this country! In fact, I think even in England they're
pretty much only a south-of-England thing, aren't they? :-( </gentle ribbing>

[1] ObCycling: I had a really fascinating conversation recently with a prominent English cycling
activist where he learned a heck of a lot about just how different the
political/legal/organisational makeup is in Scotland, and (partly to my surprise as I thought I
knew most of the gist of how things work darn sarf) I learned quite a lot that I didn't
previously know about English local - and regional - government as well!

--
David Marsh, <reply-to-email is valid at time of writing> | Glasgow, Scotland. [en, fr, (de)] |
http://web.viewport.co.uk/ | Learn usenet and netiquette: read news:news.announce.newusers |

David Marsh <[email protected]> wrote:

: <gentle ribbing> diverse the UK really is. We ain't got no Waitroses in this country! In fact, I
: think even in England they're pretty much only a south-of-England thing, aren't they? :-( </gentle
: ribbing>

We certainly don't have them here (Yorkshire). I've only ever seen them in London/Home Counties.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org Power is delightful. Absolute power is absolutely delightful -
Lord Lester

David E. Belcher wrote:

> Dave Larrington wrote:...
>> Simon Mason wrote:
>>
>>> Milk is seen as a good, healthy drink and beer as bad. I was only pointing out that beer has no
>>> dairy fats like milk and has less calories.
>>
>> Problem here, Simon, is that a mixture of cornflakes and beer just tastes plain lousy :)
>>
>
> Instantly conjures up images of the first live stage version of 'Bottom', involving Ade Edmondson,
> a can of Heineken and a box of (solidified) Special K....

For me it conjures up images of the morning after one Chris Mason's 21st birthday, involving Chris
Mason, a can of Castlemaine and a box of cornflakes... No relation of Simon. I hope.

Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
===========================================================

[Interleaved quoting: please read to end for all comments] Just zis Guy, you know? wrote in

> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 20:42:29 +0100, David Marsh <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>We ain't got no Waitroses in this country! In fact, I think even in England they're pretty much
>>only a south-of-England thing, aren't they?
>
> I can't help it if you live in the land of hand-woven porridge and man-eating midges can I?

Hehe ;-) I was just teasing, Guy. Sorry if you took offence! I just thought it quite funny at the
idea of having to trudge 400 miles to find my nearest Waitrose.. :)

>>[1] ObCycling: I had a really fascinating conversation recently with a prominent English cycling
>> activist
>
> May we know who?

Ah, that would be telling.. :)

But it just goes to show, the way things work in Scotland is so different from the rest of the UK,
that pretty much we almost are a foreign country - and the worst bit is, that even most Scots don't
realise the extent of the differences(!), because (until recently) TV/radio news largely reported
government actions affecting England only (or E&W) as if they applied across the whole UK, and
unless you looked hard, you were none the wiser..

--

"David Marsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >>We ain't got no Waitroses in this country!

> > I can't help it if you live in the land of hand-woven porridge and man-eating midges can I?

> I was just teasing, Guy. Sorry if you took offence!

Not at all - I was enjoying the joke :)

--
Guy
===
I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.