Why do my feet hurt?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Sir Ride-A-Lot, Sep 26, 2003.

  1. I keep trying to go clipless. I keep saying "this time it won't hurt". But, everytime I switch the
    peds the same thing happens. The balls of my feet (right above the arch area) ache like an SOB after
    10 minutes. I have taken the whole shabang (bike, peds, shoes) to the LBS for adjustment several
    times, but it is always the same outcome. Now, I am slightly flatfooted. Could this have anything to
    do with it? Does anyone else get this pain?

    Tags:

  2. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Sir Ride-A-Lot @careercenter.com>" <Sir.Ride-a-Lot<NOSPAM> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I keep trying to go clipless. I keep saying "this time it won't hurt". But, everytime I switch the
    > peds the same thing happens. The balls of my feet (right above the arch area) ache like an SOB
    > after 10 minutes. I
    have
    > taken the whole shabang (bike, peds, shoes) to the LBS for adjustment several times, but it is
    > always the same outcome. Now, I am slightly flatfooted. Could this have anything to do with it?
    > Does anyone else get this pain?

    What pedals and shoes are you using?

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  3. Shimano SPD. The shoes are Shimano as well (don't have the actual model cause I'm at work). They are
    both higher quality/price models.

    Thanks.

    > "Sir Ride-A-Lot @careercenter.com>" <Sir.Ride-a-Lot<NOSPAM> wrote in
    message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I keep trying to go clipless. I keep saying "this time it won't hurt". But, everytime I switch
    > > the peds the same thing happens. The balls of
    my
    > > feet (right above the arch area) ache like an SOB after 10 minutes. I
    > have
    > > taken the whole shabang (bike, peds, shoes) to the LBS for adjustment several times, but it is
    > > always the same outcome. Now, I am slightly flatfooted. Could this have anything to do with it?
    > > Does anyone else
    get
    > > this pain?
    >
    > What pedals and shoes are you using?
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  4. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Sir Ride-A-Lot @careercenter.com>" <Sir.Ride-a-Lot<NOSPAM> top-posted in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > "Sir Ride-A-Lot @careercenter.com>" <Sir.Ride-a-Lot<NOSPAM> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]...

    > > > I keep trying to go clipless. I keep saying "this time it won't
    hurt".
    > > > But, everytime I switch the peds the same thing happens. The balls of
    > my
    > > > feet (right above the arch area) ache like an SOB after 10 minutes. I
    > > have
    > > > taken the whole shabang (bike, peds, shoes) to the LBS for adjustment several times, but it is
    > > > always the same outcome. Now, I am slightly flatfooted. Could this have anything to do with
    > > > it? Does anyone else
    > get
    > > > this pain?
    > >
    > > What pedals and shoes are you using?

    > Shimano SPD. The shoes are Shimano as well (don't have the actual model cause I'm at work). They
    > are both higher quality/price models.

    Try moving the cleats back (heelwards, if that's close to being a word).

    Bill "and for Rich, I mean BOTH of 'em :) " S.

  5. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Sir Ride-A-Lot @careercenter.com>" <Sir.Ride-a-Lot<NOSPAM> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Shimano SPD. The shoes are Shimano as well (don't have the actual model cause I'm at work). They
    > are both higher quality/price models.

    Its called "hot foot". Here are some links that might help you find a solution:

    http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread/t-33911.html

    http://www.bicyclesource.com/body/pain/injury-and-orthotics.shtml

    http://www.sportsid.com/sid2000/health&fitness/Cycling9_InjuryPrevention_asimba.asp

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  6. Wow. That does sound like what it is. I'll give some of the solutions a try. One of my LBS (the
    "exclusive" / expensive one) told me to get shoes that are molded to my feet. At $250 a pair, I
    would stick with the flats and my LLBeans!

    Thanks for your help.

    > "Sir Ride-A-Lot @careercenter.com>" <Sir.Ride-a-Lot<NOSPAM> wrote in
    message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Shimano SPD. The shoes are Shimano as well (don't have the actual model cause I'm at work). They
    > > are both higher quality/price models.
    >
    > Its called "hot foot". Here are some links that might help you find a solution:
    >
    > http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread/t-33911.html
    >
    > http://www.bicyclesource.com/body/pain/injury-and-orthotics.shtml

    http://www.sportsid.com/sid2000/health&fitness/Cycling9_InjuryPrevention_asi mba.asp

    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  7. Sdc

    Sdc Guest

    > "Sir Ride-A-Lot @careercenter.com>" <Sir.Ride-a-Lot<NOSPAM> wrote in
    message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Shimano SPD. The shoes are Shimano as well (don't have the actual model cause I'm at work). They
    > > are both higher quality/price models.
    >
    > Its called "hot foot". Here are some links that might help you find a solution:
    >
    > http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread/t-33911.html
    >
    > http://www.bicyclesource.com/body/pain/injury-and-orthotics.shtml

    http://www.sportsid.com/sid2000/health&fitness/Cycling9_InjuryPrevention_asimba.asp

    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    Cool. I have orthotics but it never occured to me to use them while cycling. I'll try them out next
    time and hopefully they will ease my outer knee pain, probably caused by my leg pronating in.

    SDC

  8. Tom Walker

    Tom Walker Guest

    > > "Sir Ride-A-Lot @careercenter.com>" <Sir.Ride-a-Lot<NOSPAM> wrote in
    > message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I keep trying to go clipless. I keep saying "this time it won't hurt". But, everytime I switch
    > > > the peds the same thing happens. The balls of
    > my
    > > > feet (right above the arch area) ache like an SOB after 10 minutes. I
    > have
    > > > taken the whole shabang (bike, peds, shoes) to the LBS for adjustment several times, but it is
    > > > always the same outcome. Now, I am slightly flatfooted. Could this have anything to do with
    > > > it? Does anyone else
    > get
    > > > this pain?

    I'm not sure, because I've never had the problem, but it sounds like what some people call "Hot
    Spots". It usually happens when the actual contact area of cleat and pedal is too small. You feel
    the pressure right through to your foot. One solution is to get shoes with a stiffer sole. You may
    have gone for the stylish "Looks like a hiking shoe but has a cleat attachment" type of SPD shoe. If
    thats the case you may want to goe for more of a cycling specific type shoe with a stiff sole plate.

    Hope that helps.

  9. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Are the soles of your shoes really stiff? That is, stiff enough so you can't bend them with your
    bare hands?

    --
    - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)