Why do my forks shake?

luke15000

Jun 20, 2006
Hi,

I have just set up my custom bike now, but it seems the forks are shaking, can anyone tell me how i can overcome this because my local bike shop asks for rediculous prices for repairs to bikes.

Thanks
Luke

luke15000 said:
Hi,

I have just set up my custom bike now, but it seems the forks are shaking, can anyone tell me how i can overcome this ...
Your headset is probably loose.

There should be about an 1/8" between the top of the steerer and either the stem OR spacer (i.e., whatever is the last item stacked and on top) when you begin to tighten the top cap.

This presumes your headset's cups and the race on the fork are properly seated.

What type of headset are you using? What kind of fork?

I am using an ritchy headset, and am using triple clamp upside down forks

they are 1/8", but i don't know if the headset is installed properly, does anyone know about how the headset is positioned? like by a diagram or a link to a website that shows you how it is done?

Thanks
Luke

luke15000 said:
I am using an ritchy headset, and am using triple clamp upside down forks

they are 1/8", but i don't know if the headset is installed properly, does anyone know about how the headset is positioned? like by a diagram or a link to a website that shows you how it is done?
The parts from your headset may vary ... particularly PART C / E ... that is a critical SLEEVE which will be a conical sleeve in your Ritchey headset. If it is missing, the steerer will have free play within the headset and your fork will shake. The "sleeve" will NEST in another part ... most likely, the bearing "cartridge" ...

thrdless.jpg

FWIW. The illustration is for a Campagnolo headset.​