Why do my hard earned tax dollars support a bike team?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ronde Champ, Jul 7, 2004.

  1. Ronde Champ

    Ronde Champ Guest

    Hey,

    Why does the US federal Government support a bike team in France? I
    work hard for my money, and think the taxes I pay could be better
    used. What a Boondoggle!

    Thanks,
    Ronde Champ

    Tags:

  2. Bob in CT

    Bob in CT Guest

    On 7 Jul 2004 08:58:13 -0700, Ronde Champ <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hey,
    >
    > Why does the US federal Government support a bike team in France? I
    > work hard for my money, and think the taxes I pay could be better
    > used. What a Boondoggle!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ronde Champ

    Actually, the US Postal service is entirely run from funds received from
    postage. If you don't want your hard earned money to go to the US Postal
    team, don't mail anything.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

  3. David Off

    David Off Guest

    Ronde Champ wrote:

    > I work hard for my money

    no you don't, you spend most of the day on r.b.r

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    >Hey,
    > Why does the US federal Government support a bike team in France? I
    >work hard for my money, and think the taxes I pay could be better
    >used. What a Boondoggle!

    Like any other company, you have to advertise to get more business. USPS
    wanted to get more customers in Europe to use their service, so they sponser
    a bicycle racing team. For the money they spend, they get an excellent
    return on investment. So they continued to do so until ignorant folks
    started to complain.
    -------------
    Alex

  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >For the money they spend, they get an excellent
    > return on investment. So they continued to do so until ignorant folks
    > started to complain.

    Who do you suppose you are talking to?

  6. curt

    curt Guest

    "Bob in CT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > On 7 Jul 2004 08:58:13 -0700, Ronde Champ <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Hey,
    > >
    > > Why does the US federal Government support a bike team in France? I
    > > work hard for my money, and think the taxes I pay could be better
    > > used. What a Boondoggle!
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Ronde Champ

    > Actually, the US Postal service is entirely run from funds received from
    > postage. If you don't want your hard earned money to go to the US Postal
    > team, don't mail anything.
    >
    > --
    > Bob in CT
    > Remove ".x" to reply

    Bob, this guy doesn't understand that. He is really not all there. He
    spreads so much crap around on this board and for some reason people reply
    to him. Best thing to do is put him on ignore.

    Curt

  7. Bob in CT

    Bob in CT Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 21:27:58 GMT, curt <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Bob in CT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]
    >> On 7 Jul 2004 08:58:13 -0700, Ronde Champ <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hey,
    >> >
    >> > Why does the US federal Government support a bike team in France? I
    >> > work hard for my money, and think the taxes I pay could be better
    >> > used. What a Boondoggle!
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Ronde Champ

    >> Actually, the US Postal service is entirely run from funds received from
    >> postage. If you don't want your hard earned money to go to the US
    >> Postal
    >> team, don't mail anything.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bob in CT
    >> Remove ".x" to reply

    > Bob, this guy doesn't understand that. He is really not all there. He
    > spreads so much crap around on this board and for some reason people
    > reply
    > to him. Best thing to do is put him on ignore.
    >
    > Curt

    Ahhhh, ok. It's been a while since I came here, because the place is like
    the MFW boards -- they eat you alive sometimes, usually over nothing.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

  8. chris

    chris Guest

    I doubt most of the D3 pro's make enough to be taxed anyway. Sure
    they take the taxes out, but you should get that all back. If not,
    then you should spend time talking to an accountant and less talking
    about all the money you're losing, because technically, just being a
    pro bike racer in the U.S. is losing you money.

    CH

    [email protected] (Ronde Champ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hey,
    >
    > Why does the US federal Government support a bike team in France? I
    > work hard for my money, and think the taxes I pay could be better
    > used. What a Boondoggle!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ronde Champ

  9. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    Bob in CT <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 7 Jul 2004 08:58:13 -0700, Ronde Champ <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Hey,
    > >
    > > Why does the US federal Government support a bike team in France? I
    > > work hard for my money, and think the taxes I pay could be better
    > > used. What a Boondoggle!
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Ronde Champ

    > Actually, the US Postal service is entirely run from funds received from
    > postage. If you don't want your hard earned money to go to the US Postal
    > team, don't mail anything.

    DUDE -- you're being trolled.

    Dude...........

  10. Shussbar

    Shussbar Guest

    >Like any other company, you have to advertise to get more business. USPS
    >wanted to get more customers in Europe to use their service

    I wonder how you could use the USPS services in Europe??? Each country has it s
    own postal services, most of the time a Federal Agency or close, so the
    advertisement reason is void for Europe. Works only for USA

  11. AMG

    AMG Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 02:57:30 +0000, Shussbar wrote:

    >>Like any other company, you have to advertise to get more business. USPS
    >>wanted to get more customers in Europe to use their service

    > I wonder how you could use the USPS services in Europe??? Each country
    > has it s own postal services, most of the time a Federal Agency or
    > close, so the advertisement reason is void for Europe. Works only for
    > USA

    Maybe that's why USPS is pulling its sponsorship after this year -- they
    are guessing that this will be Lance's last, and then, how many Americans
    will care about the TdF, when it's between a few European riders, none of
    which have LA's marketability quotient?

    There is at least one way in which European USPS ads might make sense:
    When shipping parcels from Europe to the US, one can choose between
    carriers that do the last leg of the trip, actually making the delivery on
    this side of the Atlantic. So when you see the Blue Train, maybe you
    think, "That's who I want carrying my (products), not that wimpy FedEx...
    where's their damn team, anyway?"

    As far as how the dollars and cents stack up, who knows? But maybe there
    was some profit in wooing this market segment, what with all the commerce
    that takes place.

    AMG

  12. And this post, ladies and gentlemen, beautifully illustrates WHY USPS is not
    going to be sponsoring the team anymore.

    As for the reason why they did it in the first place, there is a reason. In
    1998, USPS was launching a new service, Global Priority Mail, which would
    guarantee delivery to most major cities in the world in 3 days. This
    service was being launched not only here but overseas, where they sought to
    pick up some business currently monopolized by DHL. They felt that
    sponsoring a bicycle team that would race around the world would increase
    the visibility of the US Postal Service.

    It's not a crazy idea, and by the way, it did work. But they feel they've
    accomplished as much as they can market-share-wise, plus all the pressure
    from groups that think it's a waste of money, and so they decided to pull
    the plug.

    Other point -- the US Postal Service receives NOT ONE RED CENT of tax
    dollars. It fully supports itself via the sale of postage stamps and other
    shipping services. It is a corporation, albeit one owned by the US
    Government, but does not receive tax money to support its operations --
    those are purely financed by its revenues from the sale of stamps and other
    delivery fees.

    Regards,

    Joe Hurley

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > >Hey,
    > > Why does the US federal Government support a bike team in France? I
    > >work hard for my money, and think the taxes I pay could be better
    > >used. What a Boondoggle!

  13. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    On 7 Jul 2004 08:58:13 -0700, [email protected] (Ronde Champ) wrote:

    >Hey,
    >
    > Why does the US federal Government support a bike team in France? I
    >work hard for my money, and think the taxes I pay could be better
    >used. What a Boondoggle!
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Ronde Champ

    At the risk of being trolled, especially in light of this being my
    annual post to rbr, I offer this (which I'm sure many have seen). It
    would appear USPS fucked up yet again. Maybe if they'd kept their
    collective noses clean...

    The Lake Worth Herald, in a July 2003 editorial wrote, "Shouldn’t the
    post office be directing its efforts into more efficient mail
    delivery, more cost savings within the organization, better ways to
    deal with for-profit competitors and leave the heavy duty sponsorships
    to private businesses which can properly track the effectiveness of
    said campaigns?"

    In 2002 the newspapers filed three Freedom of Information (FOIA)
    requests with the USPS for expenses of postal executives attending the
    Tour de France race in Paris.

    The newspapers learned that more than a dozen postal executives spent
    tens of thousands of dollars on first class airfare, luxury hotel
    suites and in Paris’ finest restaurants.

    "On July 3, 2001, then Vice President of Sales Gail Sonnenberg, and
    her husband Robert Maddern, manager of post office operations in the
    Washington DC metropolitan area, flew to Geneva, one day after the
    USPS raised postal rates."

    "During less than one month, she expensed nearly $20,000 to the post
    office for two roundtrip flights and $1,020 a day hotel charges among
    other expenditures," the newspapers reported.

    Asked by the Herald/Observers at the time if he paid his own hotel and
    expenses while in Europe, Maddern responded, "It’s none of your
    business."

    http://www.postalwatch.org/news2004/2004_03_24_au_revoir_lance.htm

    C.

  14. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > >Hey,
    > > Why does the US federal Government support a bike team in France? I
    > >work hard for my money, and think the taxes I pay could be better
    > >used. What a Boondoggle!

    > Like any other company, you have to advertise to get more business. USPS
    > wanted to get more customers in Europe to use their service, so they

    sponser
    > a bicycle racing team. For the money they spend, they get an excellent
    > return on investment. So they continued to do so until ignorant folks
    > started to complain.
    > -------------
    > Alex

    I would like to see some proof that they are getting bang for their buck in
    terms of promotion and advertising. I doubt they are.

  15. Sam

    Sam Guest

    But USPS does not pay taxes on the building or land it owns as does FedEx
    and UPS which is a big business advantage. Even with the monopoly it has,
    it cannot make money. Some people should be fired and the postal carriers
    union is part of the blame.

    Can anyone show proof that sponsoring a bike team increased their market
    share?

    "Joseph Hurley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > And this post, ladies and gentlemen, beautifully illustrates WHY USPS is

    not
    > going to be sponsoring the team anymore.
    >
    > As for the reason why they did it in the first place, there is a reason.

    In
    > 1998, USPS was launching a new service, Global Priority Mail, which would
    > guarantee delivery to most major cities in the world in 3 days. This
    > service was being launched not only here but overseas, where they sought

    > pick up some business currently monopolized by DHL. They felt that
    > sponsoring a bicycle team that would race around the world would increase
    > the visibility of the US Postal Service.
    >
    > It's not a crazy idea, and by the way, it did work. But they feel they've
    > accomplished as much as they can market-share-wise, plus all the pressure
    > from groups that think it's a waste of money, and so they decided to pull
    > the plug.
    >
    > Other point -- the US Postal Service receives NOT ONE RED CENT of tax
    > dollars. It fully supports itself via the sale of postage stamps and

    other
    > shipping services. It is a corporation, albeit one owned by the US
    > Government, but does not receive tax money to support its operations --
    > those are purely financed by its revenues from the sale of stamps and

    other
    > delivery fees.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Joe Hurley
    >
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > [email protected] says...
    > > >Hey,
    > > > Why does the US federal Government support a bike team in France? I
    > > >work hard for my money, and think the taxes I pay could be better
    > > >used. What a Boondoggle!

  16. "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > [email protected] says...
    > > >Hey,
    > > > Why does the US federal Government support a bike team in France? I
    > > >work hard for my money, and think the taxes I pay could be better
    > > >used. What a Boondoggle!

    > > Like any other company, you have to advertise to get more business.

    USPS
    > > wanted to get more customers in Europe to use their service, so they

    > sponser
    > > a bicycle racing team. For the money they spend, they get an excellent
    > > return on investment. So they continued to do so until ignorant folks
    > > started to complain.
    > > -------------
    > > Alex
    > >

    > I would like to see some proof that they are getting bang for their buck

    in
    > terms of promotion and advertising. I doubt they are.

    My God you're an idiot.
    The fastest rider and the fastest team in the biggest race in the world!
    And you want proof?
    If you don't think thats good promotion and advertising then you tell us
    what is.

    Marty

  17. On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 19:28:35 +0200, David Off <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Ronde Champ wrote:
    >
    >> I work hard for my money

    >no you don't, you spend most of the day on r.b.r

    ROTFLMAO!
    A truer statement has never been made on r.b.r.

  18. Churchill

    Churchill Guest

    "Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > > [email protected] says...
    > > >
    > > > Like any other company, you have to advertise to get more business.

    > USPS
    > > > wanted to get more customers in Europe to use their service, so they

    > > sponser
    > > > a bicycle racing team. For the money they spend, they get an

    excellent
    > > > return on investment. So they continued to do so until ignorant folks
    > > > started to complain.
    > > > -------------
    > > > Alex
    > > >

    > > I would like to see some proof that they are getting bang for their buck

    > in
    > > terms of promotion and advertising. I doubt they are.
    > >

    > My God you're an idiot.
    > The fastest rider and the fastest team in the biggest race in the world!
    > And you want proof?
    > If you don't think thats good promotion and advertising then you tell us
    > what is.
    >
    > Marty

    Speaking as a non-American I would never have heard of the "USPS" if it
    wasn't for the Tour, so their marketing worked in my case :)

    USPS is smart to do this, they are getting all of Europe focused on their
    name, cycling 'I sense' is much more popular in Europe than North America :)

  19. Mike

    Mike Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Churchill wrote:

    > "Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> >
    >> > "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> > news:[email protected]

    >> USPS
    >> > sponser

    > excellent
    >> > >

    >> > I would like to see some proof that they are getting bang for their buck

    >> in
    >> > terms of promotion and advertising. I doubt they are.
    >> >

    >> My God you're an idiot.
    >> The fastest rider and the fastest team in the biggest race in the world!
    >> And you want proof?
    >> If you don't think thats good promotion and advertising then you tell us
    >> what is.
    >>
    >> Marty

    > Speaking as a non-American I would never have heard of the "USPS" if it
    > wasn't for the Tour, so their marketing worked in my case :)
    >
    > USPS is smart to do this, they are getting all of Europe focused on their
    > name, cycling 'I sense' is much more popular in Europe than North America :)

    Also, I think the USPS is privatized and therefore not supported by the
    US government. Complain instead about how the US government does support
    the US automakers, US highways, and the US petrolium industry. Talk about
    a boondoggle. Since when is it the responsibility of any government
    to 'bail out' a corporation (Chrysler) or a city (New York)?

    Mike

  20. Mark Weaver

    Mark Weaver Guest

    "Churchill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:VucHc.45732

    > Speaking as a non-American I would never have heard of the "USPS" if it
    > wasn't for the Tour, so their marketing worked in my case :)
    >
    > USPS is smart to do this, they are getting all of Europe focused on their
    > name, cycling 'I sense' is much more popular in Europe than North America

    :)

    But this is pointless because the USPS doesn't serve European customers.
    That is, as I understand it, Europeans can't even use the USPS to send mail
    or packages from Europe to the US.

    However, even though cycling isn't as popular here, Lance has very high name
    recognition in the US and the commercials featuring him racing through
    "sleet, snow, gloom of night, etc" are actually pretty effective images for
    a delivery service.

    As for the USPS advertising in general -- of course they have to advertise.
    They're in competition with FedEx, UPS, Airborne, etc for the package
    delivery business, which is the potential growth area. The rise of the
    Internet has greatly increased package delivery (due to internet shopping)
    while it has reduced ordinary mail delivery (due to email).

    Mark