Why do people ride recumbents

Pete Biggs wrote:
> What about grip on corners. Doesn't having a lower COG help?

Hmm, seems reasonable, but I wonder just how much of a difference it would make? I think the right
choice of tyres is much more relevant here.

I *do* lean further into corners on the bent than on a wedgie. But in wet or icy conditions I take
corners quite gingerly whatever I'm riding.

Thomas Paine

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 20:54:06 -0000, "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> What about grip on corners. Doesn't having a lower COG help?

>Hmm, seems reasonable, but I wonder just how much of a difference it would make? I think the right
>choice of tyres is much more relevant here.

Subjectively it goes like this: upright bike, corner, wet road: "ooh-er! better slow down a bit."
Bent, corner, wet road: massive grin on face, a touch of brake before the corner and pile on the
power going through.

The forces are the same, but the feeling is completely different :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Incidentally, like so many interpretations/conclusions of studies, I wonder about whether the ten
>>years thing is cause or effect.

Undoubtedly an element of effect, since we exclude most of the seriously ill.

> I don't know so much. The local CTC group's Tuesday Wobble sees as many tubby chaps as thin ones.

Oi!! What's wrong with tubbiness?

--
Not me guv

"Marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> G S Banner <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > 've spotted a few recumbents from time to time on my daily commute in London. Only today did I
> > ask myself why anyone rides a recumbent. They strike me as waaaay to low be ridden safely in
> > traffic (I can't believe
the
> > little flags on the top of the whip aerials they sport make them easier
for
> > an unobservant motorist to spot)
>
> You spotted them!

True, but I commute on a road bike. I feel vulnerable enough, but their heads seem (to me) to be at
about half the height of mine.

Still, the consensus seems to be that being seen is not a problem.

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 20:56:13 +0000 (UTC), "G S Banner"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> You spotted them!

>True, but I commute on a road bike. I feel vulnerable enough, but their heads seem (to me) to be at
>about half the height of mine.

Yeah, but how many of the bikes on your commute do you notice? I bet you a quid you notice 100% of
the bents :)

>Still, the consensus seems to be that being seen is not a problem.

Just so.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 23:02:01 +0000, "Huw Pritchard"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Bent from recumBENT, wedgie seems to have numerous explanations, one of the ones that came up in
>here is somewhat similar to the type of wedgie the school bully might have dished out.

Wedgies are also known as "ass hatchets" in the USA :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

>> It's also likely that if I do "go bent", I will remember that the two types of vehicle are very
>> different in basic design, and won't try and "convert" people to them. Hint! Vive la difference.
>
> Ha ha ha! That's what we all thought, too! The lure of the Dark Side is strong, young Jedi :-D

Flippin ell, I can feel it pulling! :)

You're quite a recent convert, aren't you Guy? How many months now?

~PB

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 10:00:45 -0000, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

>> it's a bit of a disadvantage not being able to see over other cars'.

>Yes, but cyclists are generally more vulnerable than motorists so it's good to have advantages
>over them.

Other than living ten years longer, you mean? :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 22:26:52 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>On the XL it's possible to pulkl up close enough to a vehicle that you can't see the rear-view
>mirror. Especially 4WD things with back-door mounted spare wheels.

>The solution is simple - don't do it.

Quite. In my Volvo it's possible to pull up so close behind an LGV or bus that it can't see you in
its mirrors. Same solution.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

>>> it's a bit of a disadvantage not being able to see over other cars'.
>
>> Yes, but cyclists are generally more vulnerable than motorists so it's good to have advantages
>> over them.
>
> Other than living ten years longer, you mean? :)

Ah but do /benters/ live ten years longer than motorists? ;-)

Incidentally, like so many interpretations/conclusions of studies, I wonder about whether the ten
years thing is cause or effect. Of course cycling makes you fittER, but _naturally_ (genetically?)
unfit and unhealthy people tend to choose not to cycle. It's a leap to assume that these people
would automatically live ten years longer on average just if they took up cycling. For all we know,
cyclists could live ten years longer even if they never rode a bike!

~PB

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 20:51:51 -0000, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

>Ah but do /benters/ live ten years longer than motorists? ;-)

I only know of two recumbent fatalities, one of which was vehicular homicide in Germany.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> Pete Biggs wrote:
>
>> I'll be asking more practical questions about dealers, test rides, etc. nearer the time (will
>> still be a while off yet).
>
> <whisper>Windcheetah available right now on eBay</whisper>

Right, got me balaclava and HPX ready. Which bank would be best to hold up?

~PB

>> <whisper>Windcheetah available right now on eBay</whisper>
>
> Right, got me balaclava and HPX ready. Which bank would be best to hold up?

Oh I forgot: That's not what they mean by "blow up the joint".

(Thanks to a previous poster for that one!)

~PB

Ian Smith wrote:
> Yes, but it's no more a disadvantage than it is in a car, and you don't get many cagers saying
> 'ooh well, I _would_ drive a car, but it's a bit of a disadvantage not being able to see over
> other cars'.

Yes, but cyclists are generally more vulnerable than motorists so it's good to have advantages
over them.

~PB

> Danny Colyer wrote:
>
> > When you start to fall to one side, the closer you are to upright the easier it is to correct
> > your balance. The higher you are, the longer it takes for your angle to move away from
> > perpendicular as you start to fall, so you have longer to correct your balance.
>
> What about grip on corners. Doesn't having a lower COG help?

I think thats a false assumption that comes from how cars/chairs/ornaments work. A bike is always
1mm away from being unstable.

It still takes the same force to make the bike corner, so unless the tyre has different traction at
different parts of the width (ie the contact patch when you lean), it won't make a difference.

OTOH if you are close to the limits of adhesion you need to ride smoothly to avoid twitches that
take you over the edge - doesn't a lower COG make this more likely?

"G S Banner" <[email protected]> writes:
> I should also say that I can't ever recall having seen one being ridden recreationally - out on a
> weekend ride.

I've seen recumbents touring. At least I've seen small group out on a weekend with loaded panniers,
I didn't actually ask the riders what they were doing.

Alan Braggins wrote:
> "G S Banner" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>I should also say that I can't ever recall having seen one being ridden recreationally - out on a
>>weekend ride.
>
> I've seen recumbents touring. At least I've seen small group out on a weekend with loaded
> panniers, I didn't actually ask the riders what they were doing.

Mine is primarily used for day tours (usually around 40 miles) and for grocery shopping (it takes
luggage incredibly well, being designed for touring). I also use it for longer tours from time to
time, and have some of the order of weeks in mind for it.

There are utility 'bents, touring 'bents, racing 'bents etc. etc.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

G S Banner wrote:

> But what about when you're approaching a car from behind - eg passing a line of stationery
> traffic. Aren't you a bit low to be seen in their wing mirrors?

It depends on the bike. My 'bent (a Streetmachine GT like Danny's) puts me about the same seat
height as I am in my Volvo 740, not exactly the world's lowest slung car, and quite a bit higher
than my friend in his Lotus. I don't think anyone much writes of Elises as dangerously low to
the ground...

> Yes... this was quite an eye opener! I have to confess that I enjoy climbing on my road bike more
> than descending. Basically, I'm get scared shitless descending at speed - it's the psychological
> fear of what would happen *if* I fell off.

But of course you are limited by a design that's bad for descending on roads. Being lower with
potentially better weight distribution a 'bent can corner significantly better than a wedgie, you
can see where you're going by default and if you do have to slam on the anchors or if you hit a big
hole at speed you're *very* unlikely to exit via the sky over the bars. And since a 'bent is also
more likely to be suspended than an upright road bike you're less likely to lose it in corners
anyway due to poor road surfaces, however it is you actually might crash...

> Once got frame shudder descending on my road bike fitted with aero bars

Ah, aero bars... devices that limit your control of the bike to attain an unnatural position of less
aerodynamic worth than can be achieved by sitting in a more sensible position to start with... A
'bent (at least one of suitable design) is just much better downhill on road than an upright road
bike. If you were on a better tool for the job, you'd probably enjoy it a lot more!

> **** myself there and then. MTBing has always struck me as a competition to see who breaks their
> collar bone last.

Sometimes seems that way, but simple fact is that on the rough an MTB is the best descent tool there
is, so you have more control if you choose to exercise it as an alternative to pushing the envelope
of what can actually be done. Same with a suitable 'bent descending on roads.

> "wedgies" "bents" - where the hell did those names originate??

It's not "bent", but "'bent": a simple abbreviation of "recumbent". "Wedgie" comes from the effect
of having your bumwear forced up your backside, though from sitting on a saddle rather than having
someone heave your pants out of your trousers manually. Which brings us back to the usual reason for
riding a 'bent, which is it's more comfortable. And that doesn't just mean more, it means an *order
of magnitude more*. I ride a Brompton for short trips as the fold makes it more convenient, but for
any sort of distance it's really a case of why on earth would I want my weight spread between my
arms on thin tubes and my bum on a wee triangle of leather when I can have it on bum and back
together on a large, sprung and generously padded chair which doesn't require a neck-crick to see
where I'm going?

(Oh, and it carries luggage much better as well, with lowrider panniers under the rider between the
wheels, *exactly* where weight should go, and rear panniers drafted by the seat.)