Why do people sell wheelsets without skewers?

Good question. Possibly because they replaced the original qr's with a lightweight set and want to keep them? But if that's the case....what about the originals? All 3 wheelsets I've recently bought in the last 2 yrs came with them. Luckily enough!

Probably crashed with them. The scratched up skewer ends are a dead giveaway of this.

That's not so say that wheels which have been in a crash are automatically rubbish. In many cases they're fine, as long as they are straight, round and undented.

I sold my last pair of wheels without skewers because I bought another set from a guy who sold me his wheels without skewers, and I needed the skewers from my old set to go with those wheels.

Ok, I'll say what we're all thinking: it would be great to smash the **** out of the posers and snobs on the local group hammer-fest. :D

I have never sold wheels without skewers, but I have passed them on with newer skewers than what came on them. I have a pair of old school Suntour skewers that are gorgeous, better looking than anything new. The wheels may go, but with the new skewers, not the old ones.

531Aussie said:
Ok, I'll say what we're all thinking: it would be great to smash the **** out of the posers and snobs on the local group hammer-fest. :D
Ooops!! Wrong thread :D

I've sold wheels without skewers. Why? Because I wanted to keep the skewers. Anyone buying a set of wheels can easily buy a set of skewers.

Why does someone else not sell skewers with wheels? It's likely because for some reason, they don't want to. That's a good enough reason for me.

Yeah I understand that but skewers are part of the wheels. I understand if you sell wheels without tires or tubes, but selling w/o skewers is like selling a cellphone without a battery!

No, they're not part of wheels. Not at all. You don't need a skewer when you build a wheel. Parts of a wheel are spokes, rims, spoke nipples, hubs. Without a skewer, a wheel is still a functional wheel.

If they're part of wheels, why don't wheel builders supply skewers with every wheel they build?

Want skewers? Buy 'em or only buy wheels that come with skewers. Simple. Easy peasy. No tears.