Why do road bikes use caliper brakes?

Thanks for the tips mnr3.

Indeed my cables are a little generously routed, and I will try cutting them back. I don't know how to recognize v-brake/linear pull levers, so I don't know if that is the setup, but it is the original bought with the bike, not an after market change.

Good points on technique.

I guess one thing I find aggrevating about needing to squeeze awfully hard to get to a panic stop is that I often like to operate the brake levers with only some of my fingers, letting some of the rest remain wrapped directly around the handle bars for more security. That used to be easy with my v brakes, but is not enough power with these calipers. Hope I can improve them some.

Chero

chero said:
Thanks for the tips mnr3.

snip

I guess one thing I find aggrevating about needing to squeeze awfully hard to get to a panic stop is that I often like to operate the brake levers with only some of my fingers, letting some of the rest remain wrapped directly around the handle bars for more security. That used to be easy with my v brakes, but is not enough power with these calipers. Hope I can improve them some.

Chero

I can do stoppies from speed with my caliper brakes using two fingers and with hands on the brake hoods, not the drops. Even if on the drops I never use more than two fingers. Nothing to do with dual pivots, as I've been doing this since about 1980... bottom line is, if your caliper brakes aren't giving you enough power to lock the wheel or stoppie if you want, then the problem is adjustment, pad/rim compatibility, lever/brake compatibility or simply poor quality components. Nothing to do with inherent problems in caliper design. And yes, I ride with V-brakes on the mtb as well, and very nice they are too...