Why do some riders move forward on the seat when they HAMMER?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by 531Aussie, Jan 22, 2005.

1. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

During maximum, sustained efforts

thanks

Tags:

2. JAPANic

JAPANic New Member

Probably to put more weight down over the downstroke of the pedal.

I also wonder whether I should be standing more when I sprint or sitting tight and keeping a more aerodynamic postion.

I only use the back of the seat when I'm going down hills or when I'm stretching out in an aero position like Robbie McEwen does as he pips people on the finish line.

I've never experimented with moving my seat forward or backwards yet, or tilting it up or down.

Whatever feels best on long rides is probably best.

To avoid saddle sores on long rides I sometimes sit back....

3. Hooben

Hooben New Member

Pushing your rear end back on the seat, without actually moving the seat, will allow you to use the muscles in your gluteous maximus and hamstrings. If you move fowards in the seat, you can use the thigh muscle more. Triathlon athletes will regularly sit way forwards, due to their extensive use of aero bars. The trend in road racing is to sit a little bit further fowards than 20 years ago. Bernard Hinault and LeMond used to sit way back on their saddles back in 1986, while Lance Armstrong sits a little further foward today. Move around and find out what feels the best to you. I guess the real question is, do you have more strength and power in your hamstrings or your thighs?

4. vitiris

vitiris New Member

I find that I slide back on the seat if I want to power a hill whilst seated but obviously when out of the saddle I'm leaning forward. I do note though that I can only slide back and power for limited periods before rising up out the saddle or going back to a more normal saddle position

5. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

thanks for the replies

6. davidbod

davidbod New Member

Moving forward in the saddle to a more TT position allows you to spin more efficiently. As others have said moving back in the saddle allows you to apply more force on the pedals engaging your glutes and ham strings.