Why do the Police hate cyclists?

BimmsAndBices said:
LOL, I had to scroll up, because I didn't remember telling someone the diff between 2 and 4 wheels. Looks like I'm not the only one!
What's a bice? :D

Dondare said:
Only in Wales do you call bimmers "beamers".
Your post reeks of irony. That hasn't reached down under yet.
Bimmers is spoken only in the USA, Beamers is spoken everywhere else (inc. Germany).

Hello my anti-social, smelly, Huffy riding, Critical Mass pals. You know you aren't real cyclists, rather you're using the bicycle as a prop in your life long struggle to draw attention to yourself.

To further throw water on your absurd theory that cops hate cyclists. I was just in my local shop looking to buy a seat post and headset for my new road bike. And you know what was in there? A police officer. Having her personal bike serviced and looking to buy a new patrol bike so she can cover her beat quicker than on foot and with more stealth than in a car.

you sure it wasnt just a stripper attending the shop owner's birthday?

IronDonut said:
Hello my anti-social, smelly, Huffy riding, Critical Mass pals. You know you aren't real cyclists, rather you're using the bicycle as a prop in your life long struggle to draw attention to yourself.

To further throw water on your absurd theory that cops hate cyclists. I was just in my local shop looking to buy a seat post and headset for my new road bike. And you know what was in there? A police officer. Having her personal bike serviced and looking to buy a new patrol bike so she can cover her beat quicker than on foot and with more stealth than in a car.

shannons dad said:
Well, they can't do us for speeding, they can't do us for drink driving or wreckless driving, they can't do us for not wearing seatbelts and we don't cause never-ending traffic-jams. I'm pretty sure there's more too. And that means they've got f-all to do. Good isn't it!!!:D
Don't know if anyone's still reading this topic or not, but when I lived in Santa Cruz, I was on the main road from the campus to downtown, and from my porch I saw many a cyclist stopped & ticketed for running the stop sign. I was also told by other cyclists not to ride drunk in SC as the cops had been known to put drunk cyclists in the drunk tank. At least they gave them their bikes back the next day instead of impounding them.
I don't have warm feelings for the SC police but IMHO it seems counter-productive to me when I see cyclists not following the rules of the road, as it endangers themselves, drivers, pedestrians, and makes us all look bad.

As a heavy traffic rider I have a different spin on that idea. Whenever a driver has tried turn, park or otherwise use me and my bike as a piece of roadway, I always get the excuse "I'm sorry I didn't see you", and that seems to ok for the law as well. So after years and years of daily traffic riding and 6 full years of Montreal messenger riding (home of the World's Best Jaywalkers), I have come to the conclusion that as soon you start riding you become invisible. Therefore when it's safe for me to do so I cross the red lights so that I am not an unwilling cone in the drag race between two cars vying for one lane as the other is parking. This will get me 50-100 feet in front of the two cars before the drag race starts. I need to get over so I can get around the parked car and the asshole flying up behind me needs room to carve over. Always a fright even though I don't get nervous until my 6 inch safety barrier has been broken. After that I will assault your vehicle. I had a great ride and interaction with a guy in a sexy Carerra4 the other day. I heard him gearing down behing me so I looked and he was quite close.....he waved friendly like and backed off a bit. I was able to let him by so I did, him waving again. I caught him a few light later and he rolled down his window and commented on how it irked him that I was able to keep up with his super car. LOL :D

I've had this conversation with the police and for the most they agree with me about running the reds safely. If you want me to OBEY then you(the law enforcement ppl) make damned sure I am not hassled or threatened in my lane (which by law IS MINE, not two from off the curb with all the busted glass and ****. The two feet that is constant ice in the winter.) I do not have a 1-2 ton shell shield around me and if Joe Bimmer is gonna get his panties in a know because I'm on the road and he can't wait a few seconds to pass me safely, then we have a problem, and I'm not it.

If in a university area, I must say I agree with dealing with the drunks that way.....biking or driving, doing it drunk is just stupid and dangerous. Maybe a night in the tank will assure that he doesn't drive drunk as opposed to riding drunk. I can see the crack down as being necessary in a heavily biked area. As for the stop sign ticketing......you're gonna have to catch me first....lol :p Keep it upright and have a great holiday, the police are not the enemy.

Traffic Jammer said:
If in a university area, I must say I agree with dealing with the drunks that way.....biking or driving, doing it drunk is just stupid and dangerous. Maybe a night in the tank will assure that he doesn't drive drunk as opposed to riding drunk. I can see the crack down as being necessary in a heavily biked area. As for the stop sign ticketing......you're gonna have to catch me first....lol :p Keep it upright and have a great holiday, the police are not the enemy.
I agree about not riding drunk, however I think ticketing cyclists who run stop signs is a bit much, since sometimes it's safer for us to do that, as in your case with the stoplights. It was pretty funny though watching that motorcycle cop show up from out of nowhere and pull over the stoner kid with the blond dreds. He was probably pissing his pants wondering if the cop was gonna search him.

As for Critical Mass...I used to think it was a cool idea, before I moved into the city and actually experienced it. Sitting on a stationary bus for thirty minutes at the intersection of South Van Ness and Mission, coming home from my shitty retail job, surrounded by stinky hobos and other SF public-transport-takin' weirdos was not my idea of fun on a Friday evening. The bus drivers will not let you out of the bus unless they're at a bus stop, so you're just trapped. It did not make me want to participate in CM.

I'm a big believer of public transit, but I don't get sick riding....only when I'm crammed into the guts of a packed street car with those brave stupid knobs who think that going to work sick is heroic.

I can picture dready just shittin himself smellin of patchouly...LOL