Why Do They Even Bother

RJG

Guest
Headline from MSNBC: "Landis loses yellow jersey on disastrous day."

"RJG" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...
| Headline from MSNBC: "Landis loses yellow jersey on disastrous day."

Makes a better story than

"Nothing really interesting happened today at the Tour"

Plus later they can play up the come-from-behind, pick-yourself-up,
dust-yourself-off, and kick-ass story when he gets it back.

Or it could be that they're completely incompetant.

trg wrote:
> "RJG" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
> [email protected]...
> | Headline from MSNBC: "Landis loses yellow jersey on disastrous day."
> |

> Makes a better story than
>
> "Nothing really interesting happened today at the Tour"
>
> Plus later they can play up the come-from-behind, pick-yourself-up,
> dust-yourself-off, and kick-ass story when he gets it back.
>
> Or it could be that they're completely incompetant.

or both!
Bill C

"Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

trg wrote:
> "RJG" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
> [email protected]...
> | Headline from MSNBC: "Landis loses yellow jersey on disastrous day."
> |

> Makes a better story than
>
> "Nothing really interesting happened today at the Tour"
>
> Plus later they can play up the come-from-behind, pick-yourself-up,
> dust-yourself-off, and kick-ass story when he gets it back.
>
> Or it could be that they're completely incompetant.

or both!
Bill C

Someone must have gotten the word out. As of 3:00pm CDT, the headline on
msnbc.com now reads:

"Landis loses yellow jersey after tactical choice".

It must be hard for them to try and make sense of it all.

RJG wrote:
> "Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> trg wrote:
>> "RJG" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
>> [email protected]...
>> | Headline from MSNBC: "Landis loses yellow jersey on disastrous day."
>> |

>> Makes a better story than
>>
>> "Nothing really interesting happened today at the Tour"
>>
>> Plus later they can play up the come-from-behind, pick-yourself-up,
>> dust-yourself-off, and kick-ass story when he gets it back.
>>
>> Or it could be that they're completely incompetant.

> or both!
> Bill C
>
> Someone must have gotten the word out. As of 3:00pm CDT, the headline on
> msnbc.com now reads:
>
> "Landis loses yellow jersey after tactical choice".
>
> It must be hard for them to try and make sense of it all.

Would it be so hard to get someone who has at least a tiny little bit of
knowledge in cycling to write these articles for a handful of $$?
Hell, I bet they'd find some student with cycling as a hobby and the
goal of getting into sport journalism for free.

"Ernst Noch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> RJG wrote:
>> "Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> trg wrote:
>>> "RJG" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
>>> [email protected]...
>>> |

>>> Makes a better story than
>>>
>>> "Nothing really interesting happened today at the Tour"
>>>
>>> Plus later they can play up the come-from-behind, pick-yourself-up,
>>> dust-yourself-off, and kick-ass story when he gets it back.
>>>
>>> Or it could be that they're completely incompetant.

>> or both!
>> Bill C
>>
>> Someone must have gotten the word out. As of 3:00pm CDT, the headline on
>> msnbc.com now reads:
>>
>> "Landis loses yellow jersey after tactical choice".
>>
>> It must be hard for them to try and make sense of it all.

> Would it be so hard to get someone who has at least a tiny little bit of
> knowledge in cycling to write these articles for a handful of $$?
> Hell, I bet they'd find some student with cycling as a hobby and the goal
> of getting into sport journalism for free.

They do have a guy with some cycling background--his name is Garrett Lai,
who was an editor of Bicycle Guide Magazine. This headline, and the daily
stage reports are written by various wire servces, or MSNBC staffers.

trg wrote:
> Or it could be that they're completely incompetant.

It's usually not the article author's fault. It's usually the headline
writer. I've noticed this very frequently with all the major wires
where a headline is sensationalized, then when you read the article, it
doesn't even support the headline!

Bucky wrote:
> It's usually not the article author's fault. It's usually the headline
> writer. I've noticed this very frequently with all the major wires
> where a headline is sensationalized, then when you read the article, it
> doesn't even support the headline!

These headline writers also need to expand their vocabulary. Judging by
headlines you'd think headline subjects spent most of their lives 'vowing'
or 'lashing out'.

Ernst Noch schreef:
> Hell, I bet they'd find some student with cycling as a hobby and the
> goal of getting into sport journalism for free.

Calling Cosmo, why haven't you offered your services yet?

--
E. Dronkert

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Bucky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> trg wrote:
> > Or it could be that they're completely incompetant.

> It's usually not the article author's fault. It's usually the headline
> writer. I've noticed this very frequently with all the major wires
> where a headline is sensationalized, then when you read the article, it
> doesn't even support the headline!

It's a write-only medium.

--
Michael Press