why do they use so much heavy-duty lube?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by ______/////----, Apr 16, 2003.

  1. Hi!

    I was wondering if anyone can answer this question for me.. Over and over I see pro's drivetrain
    being smothered in heavy lube, such as
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=photos/2003/tech/features/PRGW/gear_gwdsc00029

    and

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=photos/2003/tech/features/PRGW/gear_gwdsc00015 if you look
    close you can see they use something similar to Park's bicycle lube, which I thought should be used
    only in headsets and bottom brackets..

    Anyone know? aor maybe a pro-mechanic can answer?

    Alexei

    Tags:

  2. Flashsteve

    Flashsteve Guest

    My guess would be that it lubes well, won't wash off in the rain, and the rider does not have to
    clean up the mess after the race.

    Steve

  3. Xzzy

    Xzzy Guest

    maybe it's some old school thing that is still around. btw, I used Prolong Oil, it's a
    "superlubricant" that bonds to metal and thus does not get gummy.

    John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com

    "FlashSteve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My guess would be that it lubes well, won't wash off in the rain, and the
    rider
    > does not have to clean up the mess after the race.
    >
    > Steve

  4. Ed Robbins

    Ed Robbins Guest

    It's hard to tell from the picture, but it may be paraffin(sp?) or wax, which is the ultimate way to
    "lube" a chain.