Why do vest makers insist on having 1 or zero pockets?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jojoma, Feb 13, 2010.

1. jojoma

jojoma New Member

I don't get it. In temps from 50-70, I'll wear a vest for the whole ride. But I need to store most of my stuff (food, etc.) in the jersey underneath the vest, making it a pain in the butt to get at anything easily. Luckily, the Pearl Izumi vest I have does have a small rear pocket (can't hold much) and a chest pocket (good for mp3 or map) But most other vests I see on the market have no pockets. What the heck?????

Tags:

2. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Perhaps they assume riders are wearing a jersey under the vest, who knows? :confused:

3. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

They're out there. Maybe they're more costly, but their there. Another option to a vest is a jacket with zip off sleeves. In that case, the vest part will typically have pockets.

4. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

Our club race team had vests made a few years ago by Nalini with the rear pockets. It's for cold/wet spring training, made of a heavier weight water and wind-resist fabric (Mantotech IIRC). It's a bit bulky to roll up and stuff in the jersey pocket, but gives great protection.

Believe most of the lightweight vests are designed to be easily taken off and stuffed in a jersey pocket at some point during the ride so that storing stuff in the pockets wouldn't make sense.
    Vests seem to be a personal thing. Several riders I know use them a lot, others never. I use them often for spring/fall rides when an extra layer is needed for the first hour or two. Also great to have along if rain is in the forecast or in the mountains.

5. Rustyhole

Rustyhole New Member

I have a mesh vest with reflective striping for riding at night that has the regular 3-rear pockets. not too good for retaining heat though

it can be seen here (Canadian prices): Cactus Creek Cycling Safety Vest

6. PeterF

PeterF New Member

My pearl is the same, and I agree. I almost never wear it, because of that. I hate cold arms and would rather just wear a shirt and jacket than a shirt, arm warmer and vest.

If I wear the vest at all it's usually under my shell jacket for cold days when you want to keep the core warm. If I were to buy another vest, I would get the one that comes with my club kit, which is lycra and snug.