Why do we allow uncoordinated children to mountain bike?

Chris Glidden skrev:

>>> Uncoordinated kids cannot process the information fast.

>> and they won't learn until they try, and try again.

> Dude, the guy is a troll. Don't take him seriously.

Not a troll, maybe trying to raise some eyebrows but that is an answer
to a mindset that needs to be changed.

http://www.mchb.hrsa.gov/whusa_05/pages/0420oo.htm

59.6% of all men between 18-44 years is overweight/obese
54.3% of all women between 18-44 years is overweight/obese

72.9% of all men between 45-64 years is overweight/obese
65.8% of all women between 45-64 years is overweight/obese

73.4% of all men between 65-74 years is overweight/obese
67.0% of all women between 65-74 years is overweight/obese

58.0% of all men over 75 years is overweight/obese
52.2% of all women over 75 years is overweight/obese

What does that tell you, about beeing overprotective? About the
standards that the parents bring down to the kids? about the importance
of physical activity?

And it's getting worse by each generation.

Geir Eivind Mork wrote:

> >> and they won't learn until they try, and try again.

> > Dude, the guy is a troll. Don't take him seriously.

> Not a troll, maybe trying to raise some eyebrows but that is an answer
> to a mindset that needs to be changed.
>
> http://www.mchb.hrsa.gov/whusa_05/pages/0420oo.htm
>
> 59.6% of all men between 18-44 years is overweight/obese
> 54.3% of all women between 18-44 years is overweight/obese
>
> 72.9% of all men between 45-64 years is overweight/obese
> 65.8% of all women between 45-64 years is overweight/obese
>
> 73.4% of all men between 65-74 years is overweight/obese
> 67.0% of all women between 65-74 years is overweight/obese
>
> 58.0% of all men over 75 years is overweight/obese
> 52.2% of all women over 75 years is overweight/obese
>
> What does that tell you, about beeing overprotective? About the
> standards that the parents bring down to the kids? about the importance
> of physical activity?
>
> And it's getting worse by each generation.

I don't think the statistics you provided have anything to do with
being over protective. It does, on the other hand, have everything to
do with television/computers/video games and the marketing/advertising
industry.

General Media
The average 8-18 year old in the United States spends almost 6 1/2
hours consuming media in a typical day. Considering that they often use
more than one medium at a time, youth of that age actually consume an
average of 8 1/2 hours of media a day. (Kaiser Family Foundation, 2005)

TV
By age 18, the average American teenager will have spent more time
watching television - 25,000 hours - than learning in the classroom.
(American Academy of Pediatrics)

By age 18, the average American teenager will witness on television
200,000 acts of violence, including 40,000 murders. (Huston et al,
1992)

American children ages 2-17 watch television an average of 25 hours per
week. One in five watch more than 35 hours of TV each week. (Gentile &
Walsh, 2002)

8- to 18-year-olds watch a total of four hours of TV per day, including
movies, prerecorded TV and other TV watching, on average. (Kaiser
Family Foundation, 2005)

81% of 8-18 year-olds watch some TV on a typical day, and 66% watch
more than an hour of TV per day. (Kaiser Family Foundation, 2005)

68% of 8- to 18-year-olds have TVs in their bedrooms. (Kaiser Family
Foundation, 2005)

Children spend more time watching television than any other activity
except sleeping.

The incidence of obesity is highest among children who watch four or
more hours of television a day. (Crespo, 2001)

I'm not sure lack of exercise is the main factor causing obesity. I
think it is more what we eat. For example, there might be a 500
calories in a soda pop. How much bloody exercise do you have to do to
burn that off? I'm in marathons and kayak racing, swimming etc etc at
an elite level but I still dont lose weight because I eat a lot of junk
food.

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm not sure lack of exercise is the main factor causing obesity. I
> think it is more what we eat. For example, there might be a 500
> calories in a soda pop. How much bloody exercise do you have to do to
> burn that off? I'm in marathons and kayak racing, swimming etc etc at
> an elite level but I still dont lose weight because I eat a lot of junk
> food.

1/2 hour of very hard work, or an hour of moderate work. I hear you on
the junk food. It's too damn convenient.

I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
the most insidious of traitors."
George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,

Well, if the kid is coordinated than it is no big deal to mountain
bike. It is narrow minded unthinking robots like you that are incapable
of comprehending that not every white kid has the coordination of a
monkey/negroe.
JD wrote:
> Mork From Ork wrote:
> > What is it with americans and beeing extremly overprotective. Some day
> > you'll equip every child with ten inches of foam and not allow them to
> > move outside of the house in case of them actually falling or in any way
> > hurting them self.

> It's about the pussification of the Entitlement Generation that is
> burgeoning and sanitizing all of our trails. Just go further out
> because their mommies will not allow them out fo sight, even as they
> become "adults". What laugh the average dumbass Americans are.
>
> JD

[email protected] top-posted:

> Well, if the kid is coordinated than it is no big deal to mountain
> bike. It is narrow minded unthinking robots like you that are
> incapable of comprehending that not every white kid has the
> coordination of a monkey/negroe.

You're not a Middle Eastern cartoonist by any chance?

Smart move posting anonymously, BTW.

We need to stop worshipping "people" with good coordination. If you
want to see good coordination, go to the zoo and watch the monkees.

Bill Sornson wrote:
> [email protected] top-posted:
>
> > Well, if the kid is coordinated than it is no big deal to mountain
> > bike. It is narrow minded unthinking robots like you that are
> > incapable of comprehending that not every white kid has the
> > coordination of a monkey/negroe.

> You're not a Middle Eastern cartoonist by any chance?
>
> Smart move posting anonymously, BTW.

The monkees were a 70's band put together for a TV series and as far as coordination went they were only average. Hard to know what they are doing in a zoo.

But if you are going to the zoo and you want to see coordination you should watch the monkeys.

[email protected] top-posted yet again:

> We need to stop worshipping "people" with good coordination. If you
> want to see good coordination, go to the zoo and watch the monkees.

Hey, you forgot to throw in some /overt/ racism this time! Very
disappointing...

(Good to see your spelling stayed shitty, however.)

*********

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm not sure lack of exercise is the main factor causing obesity. I
> think it is more what we eat. For example, there might be a 500
> calories in a soda pop. How much bloody exercise do you have to do to
> burn that off? I'm in marathons and kayak racing, swimming etc etc at
> an elite level but I still dont lose weight because I eat a lot of junk
> food.

Did you miss where I wrote "marketing"? As the kids (and parents) are
watching television they are subjected to countless ads for a plethora
of crappy, fat filled food products/fast food restaurants. Because it
is so much easier to pour a bowl of Fruit Loops or go through a drive
through at McDonalds it is rare that alot of kids actually are able to
enjoy a home cooked meal. My kids do not watch commercial television
nor do they have any clue what fast food is. Just about every meal
they eat is cooked either by my wife or myself. This is rare for the
average American family. My wife is from New Zealand and I grew up in
Costa Rica so neither of us was exposed to these factors. I suggest
you watch "Super Size Me"

[email protected] wrote:
> Well, if the kid is coordinated than it is no big deal to mountain
> bike. It is narrow minded unthinking robots like you that are incapable
> of comprehending that not every white kid has the coordination of a
> monkey/negroe.

heheh, he said "negroe."

CDB