Why do you Cook?

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Guest
In my case I cook to express myself. I can't sing, dance, or draw. Any
fool can open a box from the freezer and nuke it. So it isn't to
survive. As is quite apparent I express myself poorly and can't spell
worth a damn.

Cooking is kinda my imagination's way of escaping without any social
disproval or getting arrested. It's a socially excepted release for my
pent up feelings, I guess. All I need to cook is ingredients (like
somebody's paints), a little discipline (no don't add icream to that
salad) and a rough idea of want I want to create (no fool you can't
make a blueberry and steak buckle).

What's your reason to cook?

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:

> What's your reason to cook?

Pleasure: it is fun to design a menu, to cook and season well, to
present nicely. Both for ourselves and for guests.

Control: adjust ingredients, nutritional elements, caloric content to
our individual needs.

Cost: usually less expensive than going to a restaurant.

Guilty pleasure: the cook gets lots of tastes and treats along the
way. -aem

Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:
> In my case I cook to express myself. I can't sing, dance, or draw. Any
> fool can open a box from the freezer and nuke it. So it isn't to
> survive. As is quite apparent I express myself poorly and can't spell
> worth a damn.
>
> Cooking is kinda my imagination's way of escaping without any social
> disproval or getting arrested. It's a socially excepted release for my
> pent up feelings, I guess. All I need to cook is ingredients (like
> somebody's paints), a little discipline (no don't add icream to that
> salad) and a rough idea of want I want to create (no fool you can't
> make a blueberry and steak buckle).
>
> What's your reason to cook?

Because you have refused to come to my home and cook for me. :eek:(

On Sat 23 Jul 2005 02:42:31p, Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> What's your reason to cook?

Cooking on a daily basis, I can produce much better food for less money than
I can by get by going to a decent restaurant.

Cooking and baking for special occasions gives me pleasure to see others
enjoy it.

Pretty simple, really.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0529-2, 07/21/2005
Tested on: 7/23/2005 3:57:56 PM

On Sat 23 Jul 2005 03:33:45p, Margaret Suran wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:
>> In my case I cook to express myself. I can't sing, dance, or draw. Any
>> fool can open a box from the freezer and nuke it. So it isn't to
>> survive. As is quite apparent I express myself poorly and can't spell
>> worth a damn.
>>
>> Cooking is kinda my imagination's way of escaping without any social
>> disproval or getting arrested. It's a socially excepted release for my
>> pent up feelings, I guess. All I need to cook is ingredients (like
>> somebody's paints), a little discipline (no don't add icream to that
>> salad) and a rough idea of want I want to create (no fool you can't
>> make a blueberry and steak buckle).
>>
>> What's your reason to cook?
>>

> Because you have refused to come to my home and cook for me. :eek:(

I would happily come to your home and cook for you, Margaret, if it were
not a cross-country flight to get there. :)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0529-2, 07/21/2005
Tested on: 7/23/2005 3:59:31 PM

Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:

> What's your reason to cook?

My family and I like to eat. Simple as that.

gloria p

"Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat 23 Jul 2005 02:42:31p, Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:
>
> > What's your reason to cook?

> Cooking on a daily basis, I can produce much better food for less money

than
> I can by get by going to a decent restaurant.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My reasons exactly. Plus it's somewhat cathartic :)

Jill <--can't dance, can't paint, can sing

Monsur Fromage du Pollet stepped up and spewed -

> What's your reason to cook?

...anybody that denies it is, well, in denial!

Two words: Control Freak

If u are gonna say that I said something,
please say what I REALLY said. ($1 Earl)

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 21:42:31 GMT, Monsur Fromage du Pollet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In my case I cook to express myself. I can't sing, dance, or draw. Any
>fool can open a box from the freezer and nuke it. So it isn't to
>survive. As is quite apparent I express myself poorly and can't spell
>worth a damn.

Bad spellers of the world untie!

>What's your reason to cook?

Mom is 5 hours away :<

Other than that, food has been one of my passions since I was a kid.
It's like asking me "why do you read?" With both of those being my
favorite hobbies, food ==> intake calories, reading ==> fewer calories
used up, no wonder I'm always on a diet!

Sue(tm)

>>Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:

> Any
>>> fool can open a box from the freezer and nuke it. So it isn't to
>>> survive.

How so? I could not, no matter what, open a box from the freezer in
my kitchen and nuke it. What a strange assumption!

  • Haha
Reactions: concord
Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:

> What's your reason to cook?

There are many:

1. I'm extremely cost conscious (i.e. cheap).

2. I don't like fast food, so not cooking would mean expensive prepared
foods or restaurant meals (see #1).

3. I was the oldest of eight, so I learned to cook as a kid.

4. I have some peculiarities in the way I like my food prepared, doing
it myself means that I can cater to myself.

Brian

"Monsur Fromage du Pollet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In my case I cook to express myself. I can't sing, dance, or draw. Any
> fool can open a box from the freezer and nuke it. So it isn't to
> survive. As is quite apparent I express myself poorly and can't spell
> worth a damn.
>
> Cooking is kinda my imagination's way of escaping without any social
> disproval or getting arrested. It's a socially excepted release for my
> pent up feelings, I guess. All I need to cook is ingredients (like
> somebody's paints), a little discipline (no don't add icream to that
> salad) and a rough idea of want I want to create (no fool you can't
> make a blueberry and steak buckle).
>
> What's your reason to cook?
>
> --

My wife is quite disorganized and working as she is we were eating poorly.
Macaroni and hamburger were standard fare. So I started cooking about 1/2
year ago. I researched all the sites to see what I needed, got started,
equipped and organized the kitchen /pantry.

Also being in Engineering I find recipes interesting, the are organized
logically. Another big factor is sodium and weight loss. I am fairly
overweight at 44 and since I started cooking my weight has dropped 15-20lbs
without any effort and my blood pressure is lower also. It continues to drop
very slowly at 1lb per month or so.

Like Monsur Fromage du Pollet mentions it's kinda like a painting or work of
art. I find the colors, feel and texture interesting. Just wish I had more
time experiment but I have two small kids at home.

AP

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 23 Jul 2005 03:33:45p, Margaret Suran wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>>Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:

..

>>>What's your reason to cook?
>>>

>>Because you have refused to come to my home and cook for me. :eek:(

> I would happily come to your home and cook for you, Margaret, if it were
> not a cross-country flight to get there. :)

Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Dear, dear Wayne, you have a heart of pure gold and you are my good
friend. I would never expect something like that from you, since I
know that you have other priorities.

Thank you for saying it, though. Commuting from Arizona is quite
difficult. How is the weather? How are you standing up to the heat?

Dinner in hot New York City tonight: Soft shell crabs for Marcel and
chicken for me, with a green salad and one ear of corn shared by
Marcel and me. A piece of bakery Apple Strudel for Marcel and huge,
sweet Bing cherries for both of us, while we watch Jeopardy.

Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:

> In my case I cook to express myself. I can't sing, dance, or draw. Any
> fool can open a box from the freezer and nuke it. So it isn't to
> survive. As is quite apparent I express myself poorly and can't spell
> worth a damn.
>
> Cooking is kinda my imagination's way of escaping without any social
> disproval or getting arrested. It's a socially excepted release for my
> pent up feelings, I guess. All I need to cook is ingredients (like
> somebody's paints), a little discipline (no don't add icream to that
> salad) and a rough idea of want I want to create (no fool you can't
> make a blueberry and steak buckle).
>
> What's your reason to cook?

I cook because I like to eat, and I had a wife and kid to feed. I had
three brothers and we all learned to cook when we were kids, and I am
better in the kitchen than my wife is, though she is much better at doing
braised dishes than I am.

I was raised on home made jams and baked goods. It's expensive to buy
good quality jams and baked goods, and properly prepared home cooking is
far better than store bought stuff.

I am not usually intimidated by cooking. It's the cleanup that I hate. I
have an arrangement with my wife. If I cook she will clean up. I can make
as much mess as I want :)

"Monsur Fromage du Pollet" <[email protected]> wrote

> Cooking is kinda my imagination's way of escaping without any social
> disproval or getting arrested. It's a socially excepted release for my
> pent up feelings, I guess. All I need to cook is ingredients (like
> somebody's paints), a little discipline (no don't add icream to that
> salad) and a rough idea of want I want to create (no fool you can't
> make a blueberry and steak buckle).
>
> What's your reason to cook?

I like to cook whenever I get the chance. I like chopping, sauteeing,
boiling, whatever. I couldn't care less about baking. Not so fond of
cleaning up, either, but that's the way it goes. Cooking is relaxing
to me, unless I walk away and burn something.

During the week, there's usually one pizza night ... as in call Luigi's
and they'll bring it. Only other place is a crappy chinese food, and
I use the term loosely, that delivers. I just hate that, five nights a
week, what to have what to have. Even if it's just a roast chicken,
I like to have food in the house I can have ready for dinner, makes
me happy.

As much as I like to go out to eat, not so much for dinner, never
mind during the week.

Then there's this, I get cravings for (name this dish here). I don't
even know where to get that even if I did want to get it to go.
Fajitas come to mind. In 'n Out burgers. Whatever. Meatloaf.
Stew. Pot roast. I like to hang out in the kitchen and make my
own.

nancy

"Monsur Fromage du Pollet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In my case I cook to express myself. I can't sing, dance, or draw. Any
> fool can open a box from the freezer and nuke it. So it isn't to
> survive. As is quite apparent I express myself poorly and can't spell
> worth a damn.

<snip>

> What's your reason to cook?

For me, it's a combination of things. First, I love it. When I'm stressed
out, worried, depressed, etc...there's nothing that calms me like cooking
and baking does. It's very pleasurable to be in the kitchen chopping,
slicing, dicing, hacking...great stress relief. And I love to cook for
others, feed family and friends. We have someone over for dinner at least
once a week. It's fun to expose people to foods they might not otherwise
have known. Sharing recipes, talking about the food, it's great bonding!

Second, like you, it's a creative outlet. I'm an artist, and cooking is one
more way I express myself creatively. It's satisfying to throw a bunch of
ingredients together and come out with something that tastes and looks
delicious. I love to go to the farmer's markets and bring home a bunch of
stuff and then create a menu and a meal from it.

Third, and I hope this doesn't come across as egotistical, because it surely
isn't...but...I like my food better. I like controlling how much salt, how
much spice, how much of a particular ingredient is in the food I eat. I like
choosing the quality of the food I eat. I like my steak better than almost
any restaurant steak I've ever had. Same for my pasta. Being a pinicky
eater, it's much less of an ordeal when I make it myself.

And along those same lines, being diabetic, cooking myself makes it much
easier to control my blood glucose levels.

Great question!!

kimberly

Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:
> In my case, I cook to express myself. I can't sing, dance, or draw. Any
> fool can open a box from the freezer and nuke it so it isn't to
> survive. As is quite apparent, I express myself poorly and can't spell
> worth a damn.
>
> Cooking is kind of my imagination's way of escaping without any social
> disproval or getting arrested. It's a socially accepted release for my
> pent up feelings, I guess. All I need to cook is ingredients (like
> somebody's paints), a little discipline (no don't add ice cream to that
> salad) and a rough idea of want I want to create (no fool, you can't
> make a blueberry and steak buckle).
>
> What's your reason to cook?

I see that someone else has beaten me to the control freak answer.
That's a big part of it. I was always a picky eater as a child. I've
grown out of a lot of it but still have some residual irrational food
fussies, things I won't eat though I have no known allergy to them. If
I cook everything myself, I can choose the ingredients.

Another answer is: ego. I love showing off. I love bringing a batch
of still-warm homemade cookies to a gathering of folks who don't cook or
bake and watching their faces. It isn't just pleasure at getting to eat
the cookies. It is the admiration, like I was some sort of rare genius
with the magical ability to produce cookies when no one else can. It
gets better when the challenge is greater as when someone is invited
over to my house and has a number of dietary restrictions and I'm able
to work around all of them and still create a great meal. I like to say
that I'm only being a considerate hostess, but I'll admit here that I
get a big head from the compliments.

--Lia