Why do you Cook?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Monsur Fromage du Pollet, Jul 23, 2005.

  1. In my case I cook to express myself. I can't sing, dance, or draw. Any
    fool can open a box from the freezer and nuke it. So it isn't to
    survive. As is quite apparent I express myself poorly and can't spell
    worth a damn.

    Cooking is kinda my imagination's way of escaping without any social
    disproval or getting arrested. It's a socially excepted release for my
    pent up feelings, I guess. All I need to cook is ingredients (like
    somebody's paints), a little discipline (no don't add icream to that
    salad) and a rough idea of want I want to create (no fool you can't
    make a blueberry and steak buckle).

    What's your reason to cook?

    --
    It's not a question of where he grips it!
    It's a simple question of weight ratios!

    A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

    Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

    Tags:

  2. aem

    aem Guest

    Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:

    > What's your reason to cook?

    Pleasure: it is fun to design a menu, to cook and season well, to
    present nicely. Both for ourselves and for guests.

    Control: adjust ingredients, nutritional elements, caloric content to
    our individual needs.

    Cost: usually less expensive than going to a restaurant.

    Guilty pleasure: the cook gets lots of tastes and treats along the
    way. -aem

  3. Andy

    Andy Guest

  4. Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:
    > In my case I cook to express myself. I can't sing, dance, or draw. Any
    > fool can open a box from the freezer and nuke it. So it isn't to
    > survive. As is quite apparent I express myself poorly and can't spell
    > worth a damn.
    >
    > Cooking is kinda my imagination's way of escaping without any social
    > disproval or getting arrested. It's a socially excepted release for my
    > pent up feelings, I guess. All I need to cook is ingredients (like
    > somebody's paints), a little discipline (no don't add icream to that
    > salad) and a rough idea of want I want to create (no fool you can't
    > make a blueberry and steak buckle).
    >
    > What's your reason to cook?

    Because you have refused to come to my home and cook for me. :eek:(

  5. On Sat 23 Jul 2005 02:42:31p, Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote in
    rec.food.cooking:

    > What's your reason to cook?

    Cooking on a daily basis, I can produce much better food for less money than
    I can by get by going to a decent restaurant.

    Cooking and baking for special occasions gives me pleasure to see others
    enjoy it.

    Pretty simple, really.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0529-2, 07/21/2005
    Tested on: 7/23/2005 3:57:56 PM

  6. On Sat 23 Jul 2005 03:33:45p, Margaret Suran wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:
    >> In my case I cook to express myself. I can't sing, dance, or draw. Any
    >> fool can open a box from the freezer and nuke it. So it isn't to
    >> survive. As is quite apparent I express myself poorly and can't spell
    >> worth a damn.
    >>
    >> Cooking is kinda my imagination's way of escaping without any social
    >> disproval or getting arrested. It's a socially excepted release for my
    >> pent up feelings, I guess. All I need to cook is ingredients (like
    >> somebody's paints), a little discipline (no don't add icream to that
    >> salad) and a rough idea of want I want to create (no fool you can't
    >> make a blueberry and steak buckle).
    >>
    >> What's your reason to cook?
    >>

    > Because you have refused to come to my home and cook for me. :eek:(

    I would happily come to your home and cook for you, Margaret, if it were
    not a cross-country flight to get there. :)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0529-2, 07/21/2005
    Tested on: 7/23/2005 3:59:31 PM

  7. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:

    > What's your reason to cook?

    My family and I like to eat. Simple as that.

    gloria p

  8. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat 23 Jul 2005 02:42:31p, Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote in
    > rec.food.cooking:
    >
    > > What's your reason to cook?

    > Cooking on a daily basis, I can produce much better food for less money

    than
    > I can by get by going to a decent restaurant.
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    My reasons exactly. Plus it's somewhat cathartic :)

    Jill <--can't dance, can't paint, can sing

  9. Monsur Fromage du Pollet stepped up and spewed -

    > What's your reason to cook?

    ...anybody that denies it is, well, in denial!

    Two words: Control Freak

    If u are gonna say that I said something,
    please say what I REALLY said. ($1 Earl)

  10. Elisa

    Elisa Guest

    "Monsur Fromage du Pollet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > What's your reason to cook?
    >
    > --

    It makes me happy, and sometimes I'm in an absolute zen state ;-)

    Elisa

  11. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 21:42:31 GMT, Monsur Fromage du Pollet
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In my case I cook to express myself. I can't sing, dance, or draw. Any
    >fool can open a box from the freezer and nuke it. So it isn't to
    >survive. As is quite apparent I express myself poorly and can't spell
    >worth a damn.

    Bad spellers of the world untie!

    >What's your reason to cook?

    Mom is 5 hours away :<

    Other than that, food has been one of my passions since I was a kid.
    It's like asking me "why do you read?" With both of those being my
    favorite hobbies, food ==> intake calories, reading ==> fewer calories
    used up, no wonder I'm always on a diet!

    Sue(tm)

  12. >>Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:

    > Any
    >>> fool can open a box from the freezer and nuke it. So it isn't to
    >>> survive.

    How so? I could not, no matter what, open a box from the freezer in
    my kitchen and nuke it. What a strange assumption!

  13. Default User

    Default User Guest

    Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:

    > What's your reason to cook?

    There are many:

    1. I'm extremely cost conscious (i.e. cheap).

    2. I don't like fast food, so not cooking would mean expensive prepared
    foods or restaurant meals (see #1).

    3. I was the oldest of eight, so I learned to cook as a kid.

    4. I have some peculiarities in the way I like my food prepared, doing
    it myself means that I can cater to myself.

    Brian

  14. The Primate

    The Primate Guest

    "Monsur Fromage du Pollet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In my case I cook to express myself. I can't sing, dance, or draw. Any
    > fool can open a box from the freezer and nuke it. So it isn't to
    > survive. As is quite apparent I express myself poorly and can't spell
    > worth a damn.
    >
    > Cooking is kinda my imagination's way of escaping without any social
    > disproval or getting arrested. It's a socially excepted release for my
    > pent up feelings, I guess. All I need to cook is ingredients (like
    > somebody's paints), a little discipline (no don't add icream to that
    > salad) and a rough idea of want I want to create (no fool you can't
    > make a blueberry and steak buckle).
    >
    > What's your reason to cook?
    >
    > --

    My wife is quite disorganized and working as she is we were eating poorly.
    Macaroni and hamburger were standard fare. So I started cooking about 1/2
    year ago. I researched all the sites to see what I needed, got started,
    equipped and organized the kitchen /pantry.

    Also being in Engineering I find recipes interesting, the are organized
    logically. Another big factor is sodium and weight loss. I am fairly
    overweight at 44 and since I started cooking my weight has dropped 15-20lbs
    without any effort and my blood pressure is lower also. It continues to drop
    very slowly at 1lb per month or so.

    Like Monsur Fromage du Pollet mentions it's kinda like a painting or work of
    art. I find the colors, feel and texture interesting. Just wish I had more
    time experiment but I have two small kids at home.

    AP

  15. Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Sat 23 Jul 2005 03:33:45p, Margaret Suran wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >

    >>Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:

    ..

    >>>What's your reason to cook?
    >>>

    >>Because you have refused to come to my home and cook for me. :eek:(

    > I would happily come to your home and cook for you, Margaret, if it were
    > not a cross-country flight to get there. :)

    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Dear, dear Wayne, you have a heart of pure gold and you are my good
    friend. I would never expect something like that from you, since I
    know that you have other priorities.

    Thank you for saying it, though. Commuting from Arizona is quite
    difficult. How is the weather? How are you standing up to the heat?

    Dinner in hot New York City tonight: Soft shell crabs for Marcel and
    chicken for me, with a green salad and one ear of corn shared by
    Marcel and me. A piece of bakery Apple Strudel for Marcel and huge,
    sweet Bing cherries for both of us, while we watch Jeopardy.

  16. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:

    > In my case I cook to express myself. I can't sing, dance, or draw. Any
    > fool can open a box from the freezer and nuke it. So it isn't to
    > survive. As is quite apparent I express myself poorly and can't spell
    > worth a damn.
    >
    > Cooking is kinda my imagination's way of escaping without any social
    > disproval or getting arrested. It's a socially excepted release for my
    > pent up feelings, I guess. All I need to cook is ingredients (like
    > somebody's paints), a little discipline (no don't add icream to that
    > salad) and a rough idea of want I want to create (no fool you can't
    > make a blueberry and steak buckle).
    >
    > What's your reason to cook?

    I cook because I like to eat, and I had a wife and kid to feed. I had
    three brothers and we all learned to cook when we were kids, and I am
    better in the kitchen than my wife is, though she is much better at doing
    braised dishes than I am.

    I was raised on home made jams and baked goods. It's expensive to buy
    good quality jams and baked goods, and properly prepared home cooking is
    far better than store bought stuff.

    I am not usually intimidated by cooking. It's the cleanup that I hate. I
    have an arrangement with my wife. If I cook she will clean up. I can make
    as much mess as I want :)

  17. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Monsur Fromage du Pollet" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Cooking is kinda my imagination's way of escaping without any social
    > disproval or getting arrested. It's a socially excepted release for my
    > pent up feelings, I guess. All I need to cook is ingredients (like
    > somebody's paints), a little discipline (no don't add icream to that
    > salad) and a rough idea of want I want to create (no fool you can't
    > make a blueberry and steak buckle).
    >
    > What's your reason to cook?

    I like to cook whenever I get the chance. I like chopping, sauteeing,
    boiling, whatever. I couldn't care less about baking. Not so fond of
    cleaning up, either, but that's the way it goes. Cooking is relaxing
    to me, unless I walk away and burn something.

    During the week, there's usually one pizza night ... as in call Luigi's
    and they'll bring it. Only other place is a crappy chinese food, and
    I use the term loosely, that delivers. I just hate that, five nights a
    week, what to have what to have. Even if it's just a roast chicken,
    I like to have food in the house I can have ready for dinner, makes
    me happy.

    As much as I like to go out to eat, not so much for dinner, never
    mind during the week.

    Then there's this, I get cravings for (name this dish here). I don't
    even know where to get that even if I did want to get it to go.
    Fajitas come to mind. In 'n Out burgers. Whatever. Meatloaf.
    Stew. Pot roast. I like to hang out in the kitchen and make my
    own.

    nancy

  18. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "Monsur Fromage du Pollet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In my case I cook to express myself. I can't sing, dance, or draw. Any
    > fool can open a box from the freezer and nuke it. So it isn't to
    > survive. As is quite apparent I express myself poorly and can't spell
    > worth a damn.

    <snip>

    > What's your reason to cook?

    For me, it's a combination of things. First, I love it. When I'm stressed
    out, worried, depressed, etc...there's nothing that calms me like cooking
    and baking does. It's very pleasurable to be in the kitchen chopping,
    slicing, dicing, hacking...great stress relief. And I love to cook for
    others, feed family and friends. We have someone over for dinner at least
    once a week. It's fun to expose people to foods they might not otherwise
    have known. Sharing recipes, talking about the food, it's great bonding!

    Second, like you, it's a creative outlet. I'm an artist, and cooking is one
    more way I express myself creatively. It's satisfying to throw a bunch of
    ingredients together and come out with something that tastes and looks
    delicious. I love to go to the farmer's markets and bring home a bunch of
    stuff and then create a menu and a meal from it.

    Third, and I hope this doesn't come across as egotistical, because it surely
    isn't...but...I like my food better. I like controlling how much salt, how
    much spice, how much of a particular ingredient is in the food I eat. I like
    choosing the quality of the food I eat. I like my steak better than almost
    any restaurant steak I've ever had. Same for my pasta. Being a pinicky
    eater, it's much less of an ordeal when I make it myself.

    And along those same lines, being diabetic, cooking myself makes it much
    easier to control my blood glucose levels.

    Great question!!

    kimberly

  19. notbob

    notbob Guest

    Cuz raw popcorn sux!

    nb

  20. Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:
    > In my case, I cook to express myself. I can't sing, dance, or draw. Any
    > fool can open a box from the freezer and nuke it so it isn't to
    > survive. As is quite apparent, I express myself poorly and can't spell
    > worth a damn.
    >
    > Cooking is kind of my imagination's way of escaping without any social
    > disproval or getting arrested. It's a socially accepted release for my
    > pent up feelings, I guess. All I need to cook is ingredients (like
    > somebody's paints), a little discipline (no don't add ice cream to that
    > salad) and a rough idea of want I want to create (no fool, you can't
    > make a blueberry and steak buckle).
    >
    > What's your reason to cook?

    I see that someone else has beaten me to the control freak answer.
    That's a big part of it. I was always a picky eater as a child. I've
    grown out of a lot of it but still have some residual irrational food
    fussies, things I won't eat though I have no known allergy to them. If
    I cook everything myself, I can choose the ingredients.

    Another answer is: ego. I love showing off. I love bringing a batch
    of still-warm homemade cookies to a gathering of folks who don't cook or
    bake and watching their faces. It isn't just pleasure at getting to eat
    the cookies. It is the admiration, like I was some sort of rare genius
    with the magical ability to produce cookies when no one else can. It
    gets better when the challenge is greater as when someone is invited
    over to my house and has a number of dietary restrictions and I'm able
    to work around all of them and still create a great meal. I like to say
    that I'm only being a considerate hostess, but I'll admit here that I
    get a big head from the compliments.

    --Lia