Why do you Cook?

"Margaret Suran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>>>Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:

>> Any

> How so? I could not, no matter what, open a box from the freezer in my
> kitchen and nuke it. What a strange assumption!

Well, of course not! We all know you're a special kind of fool!

(giggling) nancy

I've been a cook hobbyest for many years. My mother wasn't much of a
cook, so I'm 90% self-taught. Have made some brilliant catastrophes
from experimentation, too. I have an undergrad degree in chemistry, so
maybe there's a connection there, although I think my personal
epiphany was when the dear aulde dad was visiting and I put on what
was really a fairly modest dinner. Dad sat back after dessert and just
*beamed* at me and said, "Sugar, where in hell did you learn to cook
like that?" I've been trying to fool people with my cooking
"expertise" ever since :)

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

> What's your reason to cook?

To impress girls! :)

Just kidding....kind of. I'm a good cook. I love hearing acolades when I
prepare something unique for friends, family....and GIRLS! :)

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Margaret Suran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>>> Any

>>How so? I could not, no matter what, open a box from the freezer in my
>>kitchen and nuke it. What a strange assumption!

> Well, of course not! We all know you're a special kind of fool!
>
> (giggling) nancy

Nancy, of course I am a fool, one especially so as you say, but that
is not the problem with nuking. I do not own a Microwave oven. There
are many people who do not, for one reason or another. If you ask the
posters in rfc, even the ones who live in the USA, you might be
surprised how many might not have such an appliance. Truthfully, it
still seems a little newfangled to me, but the main problem is that
there is no room in my kitchen. :eek:(

In article <[email protected]>, "Nancy Young"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Margaret Suran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> >> Any

> > How so? I could not, no matter what, open a box from the freezer
> > in my kitchen and nuke it. What a strange assumption!

> Well, of course not! We all know you're a special kind of fool!
>
> (giggling) nancy

That, too. But mostly it's because she has no microwave. :)
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 7/8/05 WeBeJammin'!

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 23 Jul 2005 02:42:31p, Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:
>

>>What's your reason to cook?

> Cooking on a daily basis, I can produce much better food for less money than
> I can by get by going to a decent restaurant.
>
> Cooking and baking for special occasions gives me pleasure to see others
> enjoy it.
>
> Pretty simple, really.

i hate to be all "me too', but that about sums it up here.

--

saerah

"It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß

Margaret Suran <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Truthfully, it
> still seems a little newfangled to me

You're not alone. My Pop was downright scared of the microwave. But on a
visit, I got a pack of dinner hotdogs and put two in and two minutes
later we were having dinner. He asked how I did it. I gave him simple
directions and he paid close attention. He called it the hotdog oven, as
it's all he ever used it for! I think the word microwave conjured up
dangerous images in his mind.

He was so happy with his hotdog oven, the very next morning he insisted
we have dinner hotdogs for breakfast! And Pop cooked 'em! I was so proud
of him! R.I.P.

--
Andy

On Sat 23 Jul 2005 04:40:24p, Margaret Suran wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>>Because you have refused to come to my home and cook for me. :eek:(

>> I would happily come to your home and cook for you, Margaret, if it were
>> not a cross-country flight to get there. :)

> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>>

> Dear, dear Wayne, you have a heart of pure gold and you are my good
> friend. I would never expect something like that from you, since I
> know that you have other priorities.

But it would be something I would love to do.

> Thank you for saying it, though. Commuting from Arizona is quite
> difficult. How is the weather? How are you standing up to the heat?

SE of Phoenix where we live, we've not had a day in the past two weeks with
temperatures under 116°F. We love living here, but it would be practically
uninhabitable during the summer without a/c.

> Dinner in hot New York City tonight: Soft shell crabs for Marcel and
> chicken for me, with a green salad and one ear of corn shared by
> Marcel and me. A piece of bakery Apple Strudel for Marcel and huge,
> sweet Bing cherries for both of us, while we watch Jeopardy.

Everything sounds delicious! I haven't had soft shell crabs in ages. I
just bought bing cherries at the farmer's market today for 99¢/lb.

Dinner tonight was grilled chicken, grilled corn on the cob, and sliced
fresh tomatoes. Very simple, but good.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0529-2, 07/21/2005
Tested on: 7/23/2005 7:35:39 PM

"Margaret Suran" <[email protected]> wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> "Margaret Suran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>How so? I could not, no matter what, open a box from the freezer in my
>>>kitchen and nuke it. What a strange assumption!

>> Well, of course not! We all know you're a special kind of fool!

> Nancy, of course I am a fool, one especially so as you say, but that is
> not the problem with nuking.

First things first. You, my friend, are *nobody's* fool, and we both
know that. I was just funnin ya.

> I do not own a Microwave oven. There are many people who do not, for one
> reason or another. If you ask the posters in rfc, even the ones who live
> in the USA, you might be surprised how many might not have such an
> appliance.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. I only really use mine to
defrost whatever, reheat, or to cook vegetables.

> Truthfully, it still seems a little newfangled to me, but the main
> problem is that there is no room in my kitchen. :eek:(

Yeah, the downside of living in Manhattan. But Alan's comment
could easily have been, any fool can put a freezer dinner in the
oven. Actually, I think I was the last person I knew who didn't
have a microwave. I could live without one again.

nancy

In article <[email protected]>, Monsur Fromage du
Pollet <[email protected]> wrote:
> What's your reason to cook?

Gotta eat and no one else around here is qualified or interested. When
I cook, I decide what's going to be eaten. Or not eaten. Ever. (Get
my drift?)
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 7/8/05 WeBeJammin'!

Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:
>> In my case I cook to express myself. I can't sing, dance, or draw.
>> Any fool can open a box from the freezer and nuke it. So it isn't to
>> survive. As is quite apparent I express myself poorly and can't spell
>> worth a damn.
>>
>> Cooking is kinda my imagination's way of escaping without any social
>> disproval or getting arrested. It's a socially excepted release for
>> my pent up feelings, I guess. All I need to cook is ingredients (like
>> somebody's paints), a little discipline (no don't add icream to that
>> salad) and a rough idea of want I want to create (no fool you can't
>> make a blueberry and steak buckle).
>>
>> What's your reason to cook?
>>
>> --

I love to cook. I love making simple elegant meals at a much affordable
price than restaurant meals.. and I know what went into the dish. I can
prepare the foods to the degree I feel is proper, compared to what I was
used to growing up. I also love entertaining. I love the whole process of
menu planning, shopping, preparing and serving the food. Sure would like a
robot for the clean-up though!

Debbie

On Sat 23 Jul 2005 07:45:02p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article <[email protected]>, Monsur Fromage du
> Pollet <[email protected]> wrote:
>> What's your reason to cook?

> Gotta eat and no one else around here is qualified or interested. When
> I cook, I decide what's going to be eaten. Or not eaten. Ever. (Get
> my drift?)

You're brutal! (I need to develop that attitude. It would save me the
trouble of often making separate meals.)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0529-2, 07/21/2005
Tested on: 7/23/2005 7:51:24 PM

Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> You're brutal! (I need to develop that attitude. It would save me the
> trouble of often making separate meals.)

Wayne, you're a softie!!! Mom's challenge: "I'm NOT making two dinners!
You don't like what I'm making for dinner? Starve!"

--
Andy

Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Nancy, of course I am a fool, one especially so as you say, but
>>> that is not the problem with nuking.

>> First things first. You, my friend, are *nobody's* fool, and we both
>> know that. I was just funnin ya.
>>
>>> I do not own a Microwave oven. There are many people who do not,
>>> for one reason or another. If you ask the posters in rfc, even the
>>> ones who live in the USA, you might be surprised how many might not
>>> have such an appliance.

>> Wouldn't surprise me in the least. I only really use mine to
>> defrost whatever, reheat, or to cook vegetables.
>>
>>> Truthfully, it still seems a little newfangled to me, but the main
>>> problem is that there is no room in my kitchen. :eek:(

>> Yeah, the downside of living in Manhattan. But Alan's comment
>> could easily have been, any fool can put a freezer dinner in the
>> oven. Actually, I think I was the last person I knew who didn't
>> have a microwave. I could live without one again.

I rarely use a microwave and could easily do without one. I do have one
though. My DH used to like to use one for reheats. My grandson uses it now
for the same thing.

Debbie

On Sat 23 Jul 2005 07:57:04p, Andy wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> You're brutal! (I need to develop that attitude. It would save me the
>> trouble of often making separate meals.)

> Wayne, you're a softie!!! Mom's challenge: "I'm NOT making two dinners!
> You don't like what I'm making for dinner? Starve!"

My first mistake was giving into this 13 years ago. I'm afraid it's a little
late to change directions now. :)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0529-2, 07/21/2005
Tested on: 7/23/2005 8:14:43 PM

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 21:42:31 GMT, Monsur Fromage du Pollet
<[email protected]> connected the dots and wrote:

~What's your reason to cook?

When I was a kid, I'd spend hours in the bathroom mixing whatever was
in the medicine cabinet (creams, shampoos and talcs) to make various
messes. Why? Because Mom only taught me how to make scrambled egg,
chocolate chip cookies, and hamburgers.

Once I was on my own, I started experimenting in the kitchen. Found
it to be more fun than the stuff I did as a kid, especially since
there were so many more ingredients and ways to process and combine
them.

Oddly, there are only a few times when what I made was inedible. The
ghods were kind.

maxine in ri

Margaret Suran wrote on 23 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:
> > In my case I cook to express myself. I can't sing, dance, or
> > draw. Any fool can open a box from the freezer and nuke it. So
> > it isn't to survive. As is quite apparent I express myself
> > poorly and can't spell worth a damn.
> >
> > Cooking is kinda my imagination's way of escaping without any
> > social disproval or getting arrested. It's a socially excepted
> > release for my pent up feelings, I guess. All I need to cook is
> > ingredients (like somebody's paints), a little discipline (no
> > don't add icream to that salad) and a rough idea of want I want
> > to create (no fool you can't make a blueberry and steak buckle).
> >
> > What's your reason to cook?
> >

> Because you have refused to come to my home and cook for me. :eek:(

Maggie (If I can call you that) you live too far away.

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Wharfrat wrote on 23 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> > What's your reason to cook?
> >

> To impress girls! :)
>
> Just kidding....kind of. I'm a good cook. I love hearing acolades
> when I prepare something unique for friends, family....and GIRLS!
> :)

30-35 yrs ago I used to get REAL lucky cause of Cooking too...

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

In article <[email protected]>, Wayne Boatwright
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat 23 Jul 2005 07:45:02p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, Monsur Fromage
> > du Pollet <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> What's your reason to cook?

> > Gotta eat and no one else around here is qualified or interested.
> > When I cook, I decide what's going to be eaten. Or not eaten.
> > Ever. (Get my drift?)

> You're brutal!

He loves it. "-)

> (I need to develop that attitude. It would save me the trouble of
> often making separate meals.)

I always offer two choices, Wayne: Take it or leave it.
--

On Sat 23 Jul 2005 09:25:50p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article <[email protected]>, Wayne Boatwright
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat 23 Jul 2005 07:45:02p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > Gotta eat and no one else around here is qualified or interested.
>> > When I cook, I decide what's going to be eaten. Or not eaten.
>> > Ever. (Get my drift?)

>> You're brutal!

> He loves it. "-)
>
>> (I need to develop that attitude. It would save me the trouble of
>> often making separate meals.)

> I always offer two choices, Wayne: Take it or leave it.

You're a tought woman, Barb! :)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0529-2, 07/21/2005
Tested on: 7/23/2005 9:35:34 PM