Why do you Cook?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Monsur Fromage du Pollet, Jul 23, 2005.

  1. serene

    serene Guest

    Debbie <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I had the 2 bite rule for new foods or about a heaping teaspoon serving of
    > foods they had previously tried. Usually one mouthful.. if they didn't like
    > it they could get 10 mouthfuls out of it. :)

    What was the purpose of that rule?

    serene

  2. serene

    serene Guest

    Debbie <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I had the 2 bite rule for new foods or about a heaping teaspoon serving of
    > foods they had previously tried. Usually one mouthful.. if they didn't like
    > it they could get 10 mouthfuls out of it. :)

    What was the purpose of that rule?

    serene

  3. serene

    serene Guest

    Debbie <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I had the 2 bite rule for new foods or about a heaping teaspoon serving of
    > foods they had previously tried. Usually one mouthful.. if they didn't like
    > it they could get 10 mouthfuls out of it. :)

    What was the purpose of that rule?

    serene

  4. Debbie

    Debbie Guest

    serene wrote:
    >> Debbie <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I had the 2 bite rule for new foods or about a heaping teaspoon
    >>> serving of foods they had previously tried. Usually one mouthful..
    >>> if they didn't like it they could get 10 mouthfuls out of it. :)

    >> What was the purpose of that rule?

    So the kids would get a taste and not just "dislike" something because they
    have heard someone else say ewwww. :) As tastes change through the years,
    if they always had a taste then they would learn if they now like something.
    I tried to avoid foods that kids dislike so that they would enjoy their
    meals. However, I always felt that they should give a food another try once
    in a while and see if their tastes had changed.

    I think that alot of this depends on how a person was raised. When I was a
    child, there was no 2 bite rule, no must taste.. but a big must eat rule.
    It wasn't a heaping teaspoon size either. A couple of serving spoons size.
    The 2 foods in particular that I remember are parsnips and turnips. I
    rarely cook these. The average would be once every 20 years or so. :)
    Debbie

  5. Debbie

    Debbie Guest

    serene wrote:
    >> Debbie <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I had the 2 bite rule for new foods or about a heaping teaspoon
    >>> serving of foods they had previously tried. Usually one mouthful..
    >>> if they didn't like it they could get 10 mouthfuls out of it. :)

    >> What was the purpose of that rule?

    So the kids would get a taste and not just "dislike" something because they
    have heard someone else say ewwww. :) As tastes change through the years,
    if they always had a taste then they would learn if they now like something.
    I tried to avoid foods that kids dislike so that they would enjoy their
    meals. However, I always felt that they should give a food another try once
    in a while and see if their tastes had changed.

    I think that alot of this depends on how a person was raised. When I was a
    child, there was no 2 bite rule, no must taste.. but a big must eat rule.
    It wasn't a heaping teaspoon size either. A couple of serving spoons size.
    The 2 foods in particular that I remember are parsnips and turnips. I
    rarely cook these. The average would be once every 20 years or so. :)
    Debbie

  6. Debbie

    Debbie Guest

    serene wrote:
    >> Debbie <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I had the 2 bite rule for new foods or about a heaping teaspoon
    >>> serving of foods they had previously tried. Usually one mouthful..
    >>> if they didn't like it they could get 10 mouthfuls out of it. :)

    >> What was the purpose of that rule?

    So the kids would get a taste and not just "dislike" something because they
    have heard someone else say ewwww. :) As tastes change through the years,
    if they always had a taste then they would learn if they now like something.
    I tried to avoid foods that kids dislike so that they would enjoy their
    meals. However, I always felt that they should give a food another try once
    in a while and see if their tastes had changed.

    I think that alot of this depends on how a person was raised. When I was a
    child, there was no 2 bite rule, no must taste.. but a big must eat rule.
    It wasn't a heaping teaspoon size either. A couple of serving spoons size.
    The 2 foods in particular that I remember are parsnips and turnips. I
    rarely cook these. The average would be once every 20 years or so. :)
    Debbie

  7. Debbie

    Debbie Guest

    serene wrote:
    >> Debbie <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I had the 2 bite rule for new foods or about a heaping teaspoon
    >>> serving of foods they had previously tried. Usually one mouthful..
    >>> if they didn't like it they could get 10 mouthfuls out of it. :)

    >> What was the purpose of that rule?

    So the kids would get a taste and not just "dislike" something because they
    have heard someone else say ewwww. :) As tastes change through the years,
    if they always had a taste then they would learn if they now like something.
    I tried to avoid foods that kids dislike so that they would enjoy their
    meals. However, I always felt that they should give a food another try once
    in a while and see if their tastes had changed.

    I think that alot of this depends on how a person was raised. When I was a
    child, there was no 2 bite rule, no must taste.. but a big must eat rule.
    It wasn't a heaping teaspoon size either. A couple of serving spoons size.
    The 2 foods in particular that I remember are parsnips and turnips. I
    rarely cook these. The average would be once every 20 years or so. :)
    Debbie

  8. Debbie

    Debbie Guest

    serene wrote:
    >> Debbie <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I had the 2 bite rule for new foods or about a heaping teaspoon
    >>> serving of foods they had previously tried. Usually one mouthful..
    >>> if they didn't like it they could get 10 mouthfuls out of it. :)

    >> What was the purpose of that rule?

    So the kids would get a taste and not just "dislike" something because they
    have heard someone else say ewwww. :) As tastes change through the years,
    if they always had a taste then they would learn if they now like something.
    I tried to avoid foods that kids dislike so that they would enjoy their
    meals. However, I always felt that they should give a food another try once
    in a while and see if their tastes had changed.

    I think that alot of this depends on how a person was raised. When I was a
    child, there was no 2 bite rule, no must taste.. but a big must eat rule.
    It wasn't a heaping teaspoon size either. A couple of serving spoons size.
    The 2 foods in particular that I remember are parsnips and turnips. I
    rarely cook these. The average would be once every 20 years or so. :)
    Debbie

  9. Debbie

    Debbie Guest

    serene wrote:
    >> Debbie <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I had the 2 bite rule for new foods or about a heaping teaspoon
    >>> serving of foods they had previously tried. Usually one mouthful..
    >>> if they didn't like it they could get 10 mouthfuls out of it. :)

    >> What was the purpose of that rule?

    So the kids would get a taste and not just "dislike" something because they
    have heard someone else say ewwww. :) As tastes change through the years,
    if they always had a taste then they would learn if they now like something.
    I tried to avoid foods that kids dislike so that they would enjoy their
    meals. However, I always felt that they should give a food another try once
    in a while and see if their tastes had changed.

    I think that alot of this depends on how a person was raised. When I was a
    child, there was no 2 bite rule, no must taste.. but a big must eat rule.
    It wasn't a heaping teaspoon size either. A couple of serving spoons size.
    The 2 foods in particular that I remember are parsnips and turnips. I
    rarely cook these. The average would be once every 20 years or so. :)
    Debbie

  10. Debbie

    Debbie Guest

    serene wrote:
    >> Debbie <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I had the 2 bite rule for new foods or about a heaping teaspoon
    >>> serving of foods they had previously tried. Usually one mouthful..
    >>> if they didn't like it they could get 10 mouthfuls out of it. :)

    >> What was the purpose of that rule?

    So the kids would get a taste and not just "dislike" something because they
    have heard someone else say ewwww. :) As tastes change through the years,
    if they always had a taste then they would learn if they now like something.
    I tried to avoid foods that kids dislike so that they would enjoy their
    meals. However, I always felt that they should give a food another try once
    in a while and see if their tastes had changed.

    I think that alot of this depends on how a person was raised. When I was a
    child, there was no 2 bite rule, no must taste.. but a big must eat rule.
    It wasn't a heaping teaspoon size either. A couple of serving spoons size.
    The 2 foods in particular that I remember are parsnips and turnips. I
    rarely cook these. The average would be once every 20 years or so. :)
    Debbie

  11. Debbie

    Debbie Guest

    serene wrote:
    >> Debbie <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I had the 2 bite rule for new foods or about a heaping teaspoon
    >>> serving of foods they had previously tried. Usually one mouthful..
    >>> if they didn't like it they could get 10 mouthfuls out of it. :)

    >> What was the purpose of that rule?

    So the kids would get a taste and not just "dislike" something because they
    have heard someone else say ewwww. :) As tastes change through the years,
    if they always had a taste then they would learn if they now like something.
    I tried to avoid foods that kids dislike so that they would enjoy their
    meals. However, I always felt that they should give a food another try once
    in a while and see if their tastes had changed.

    I think that alot of this depends on how a person was raised. When I was a
    child, there was no 2 bite rule, no must taste.. but a big must eat rule.
    It wasn't a heaping teaspoon size either. A couple of serving spoons size.
    The 2 foods in particular that I remember are parsnips and turnips. I
    rarely cook these. The average would be once every 20 years or so. :)
    Debbie

  12. On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:41:33 -0400, ~patches~
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ok, mixing stuff in the med cabinet is usually bad; mixing stull in the
    >kitchen is usually good. Although, I have been tempted to add pain
    >killers to the zucchini to help it go down better some days ;)

    <snort!> The last sentence was hilarious. I am not a fan of zucchini
    unless it's in an interesting sauce. Stand alone, it's beyond bland,
    IMHO.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  13. On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:41:33 -0400, ~patches~
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ok, mixing stuff in the med cabinet is usually bad; mixing stull in the
    >kitchen is usually good. Although, I have been tempted to add pain
    >killers to the zucchini to help it go down better some days ;)

    <snort!> The last sentence was hilarious. I am not a fan of zucchini
    unless it's in an interesting sauce. Stand alone, it's beyond bland,
    IMHO.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  14. On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:41:33 -0400, ~patches~
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ok, mixing stuff in the med cabinet is usually bad; mixing stull in the
    >kitchen is usually good. Although, I have been tempted to add pain
    >killers to the zucchini to help it go down better some days ;)

    <snort!> The last sentence was hilarious. I am not a fan of zucchini
    unless it's in an interesting sauce. Stand alone, it's beyond bland,
    IMHO.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  15. On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:41:33 -0400, ~patches~
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ok, mixing stuff in the med cabinet is usually bad; mixing stull in the
    >kitchen is usually good. Although, I have been tempted to add pain
    >killers to the zucchini to help it go down better some days ;)

    <snort!> The last sentence was hilarious. I am not a fan of zucchini
    unless it's in an interesting sauce. Stand alone, it's beyond bland,
    IMHO.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  16. On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:41:33 -0400, ~patches~
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ok, mixing stuff in the med cabinet is usually bad; mixing stull in the
    >kitchen is usually good. Although, I have been tempted to add pain
    >killers to the zucchini to help it go down better some days ;)

    <snort!> The last sentence was hilarious. I am not a fan of zucchini
    unless it's in an interesting sauce. Stand alone, it's beyond bland,
    IMHO.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  17. On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:41:33 -0400, ~patches~
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ok, mixing stuff in the med cabinet is usually bad; mixing stull in the
    >kitchen is usually good. Although, I have been tempted to add pain
    >killers to the zucchini to help it go down better some days ;)

    <snort!> The last sentence was hilarious. I am not a fan of zucchini
    unless it's in an interesting sauce. Stand alone, it's beyond bland,
    IMHO.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  18. On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:41:33 -0400, ~patches~
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ok, mixing stuff in the med cabinet is usually bad; mixing stull in the
    >kitchen is usually good. Although, I have been tempted to add pain
    >killers to the zucchini to help it go down better some days ;)

    <snort!> The last sentence was hilarious. I am not a fan of zucchini
    unless it's in an interesting sauce. Stand alone, it's beyond bland,
    IMHO.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  19. On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:41:33 -0400, ~patches~
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ok, mixing stuff in the med cabinet is usually bad; mixing stull in the
    >kitchen is usually good. Although, I have been tempted to add pain
    >killers to the zucchini to help it go down better some days ;)

    <snort!> The last sentence was hilarious. I am not a fan of zucchini
    unless it's in an interesting sauce. Stand alone, it's beyond bland,
    IMHO.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  20. On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 13:03:50 -0700, [email protected] (serene)
    wrote:

    >I never force children to eat anything they don't like. Not even a
    >little bit. I think it's unnecessary. No one gets to force me to eat,
    >and my kids grew up whole and healthy just fine without being forced to
    >eat foods they didn't like.

    <snip>

    I only "forced" my kids to eat something if it was the first time they
    were introduced to a particular food. My daughter would try anything
    once. My (grade school) son viewed any new food as an attempt on my
    part to poison him. I can recall not allowing him to eat anything else
    of the meal before he took at least a *taste* of the new offering. He
    sometimes sat at table for a loooong time, but eventually hunger would
    overcome stubborn and he often surprised himself that he liked the new
    food. In fact, IIRC, there was more than one time that I would set a
    new dish on the table and his immediate response was a voluble "YUCK!"

    AAMOF, I distinctly remember poring over a cookbook one afternoon when
    he strolled into the kitchen, espied what I was reading and
    immediately sprang to his sister and shrieked, "Kristen! We're having
    Julia Childe for dinner! Eeewwwww!"

    Miserable brat. Has a kid of his own now. Am patiently waiting for The
    Day payback begins.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines