Sep 23, 2006
Hello,

I live near a road where cyclist cycle.
I see them all the time, mostly in the mornings
and the afternoon.

I don't cycle as of yet, but seeing these cyclist
makes me want to know more about it.

I'd like to know why people cycle.

What are the reasons and the benefits of cycling?

I'd also like to know some personal stories on how
some of you got started in cycling?

-Carlo

Carlo Cabrera said:
Hello,

and the afternoon.

-Carlo
I ride because I love it. Ever since I was a child, I couldn't wait until my parents got me a bike. Once they did, it was history. I have been riding ever since. Now that I am old, it has the extra effect of keeping me fit but I still have the passion just like when I was a kid.

I started for 2 reasons. I'm 46 years old. 5 ft 9.5 inches tall and weighed 180 lbs. I noticed that I was getting to the point where I was using my hands to pull myself back up to a standing position. I had the legs of an old man. I also have a bad back so a lot of types of exercise is out for me. I need relatively low impact. So cycling was a way to get the strenght back in my legs and to lose that pot belly. I bought a hybrid bike. It's part road bike, part mountain bike.
That was September of 2005. Now I'm 16 pounds lighter. and have plenty of strenght in my legs. My back did extremely well on a bike so I've upgraded to a race bike. I got a TREK Pilot 2.1 s.p.a. now. This bike still has a little suspension to help my back, but my legs are my main suspension componet. Now I ride at least twice a week for either 30 or 50 mile rides each time. It's very addicting which is great. I tried an exercise bike and found it extremely BORING! I see something new each time I go out. And I compete against my time from the last ride. It's a lot of FUN. And I always have a good time.

Originally it was to lose weight. At the end of my senior year in high school, i was 6-1, 260 pounds. Now, 16 months later, I am 170 pounds, and if i take more than 2 days without riding I feel absolutely horrible. There is no better feeling than hitting a 6-7 mile section of road with an overall decline, tucking into my aero-bars and just cruising. Its addictive.

Initially, way back when I was in my teens, because it helped clear my hayfever (allergies). By riding hard, my heart beat fast and my sinuses cleared. That got me fast which got me into racing. Into college my priorities changed and responsibilities mounted. Rediscovered cycling about 3 years ago (now 49 years of age). Needed to lose weight (5' 7", 170 lbs -> 135 lbs), get my blood pressure down and complete a life changing event. Now I ride 150 - 250 miles a week, race, and enjoy the health, speed and competition that only cycling brings. Just a "wanna-be" racer, but tooling along at 21 - 23 mph for 30 - 45 miles a day sure makes for an exciting 2 hours of my day. Before getting back into riding, weekdays were my focus. Now I look forward to riding after work and long rides every weekend.

Carlo Cabrera said:
Hello,

and the afternoon.

-Carlo

Because if I didn't, my wife would kill me for spending all that money on the bike? It's either that or because cycling's a hoot.

I worked at my fathers Dairy Queen 12 hours every other day when I was 14 so I could save up to buy my first Schwinn. I admit there were a few years when I put riding on the back-burner (when I got my first car), but I have always loved the things you see when your not whipping by in a car. It's just good clean FUN! Get a nice bike, ride and you'll see...;)

An old man named Dennis got me into cycling. He was a 50 something roadie who's been cycling his whole life. He told me lots of stories about his adventures and about all the technology that goes into bikes. He hadn't even had a drivers license for the last 20 years. That really inspired me, so I Eventually dropped my wal-ride and bought a 'real' bike.

I primarily use my bike to commute, but I also do long rides to really 'open up' my body and get into that 'rythm' that lets me cover 50-100 miles in a day. Thats a great feeling, doing it, and looking back on that kind of ride, too.

I also love the technology that goes into bikes and just wrenching in general. I really appreciate a well crafted piece of machinery, especially one that is so connected to you. Like a Samurai and his Sword, both deeply connected and honed to perfection.

Blademun said:
An old man named Dennis got me into cycling. He was a 50 something roadie who's been cycling his whole life. He told me lots of stories about his adventures and about all the technology that goes into bikes. He hadn't even had a drivers license for the last 20 years. That really inspired me, so I Eventually dropped my wal-ride and bought a 'real' bike.

I primarily use my bike to commute, but I also do long rides to really 'open up' my body and get into that 'rythm' that lets me cover 50-100 miles in a day. Thats a great feeling, doing it, and looking back on that kind of ride, too.

I also love the technology that goes into bikes and just wrenching in general. I really appreciate a well crafted piece of machinery, especially one that is so connected to you. Like a Samurai and his Sword, both deeply connected and honed to perfection.
I started four months ago. A freind of mine and I were talking and I told him I was going to start Mountain Biking. He said that he road bikes and that I should come give his a try to see what I think. Well I went over and took his bike out for 13 mile loop It felt great but it was challenging. I mean i was traveling @ probably 13-15 mph and just doggin it. draggin my butt. However it bit me. And i did some research and before you know it I was swimming in 100% bike BS nonstop. reading books, mags, reviews forums etc.. now I'm riding every day or so, and the only way Im going 13-15 mph is up a hill. Also the difference in my body. I mean, i am not fat but I was probably just right for my height/weight etc but now I'm gettin that euro body I've wanted ( well just skinny/ really skinny ) also I love pushing myself. i have always been pretty good at sports - golf skatboarding etc.. but those require a different approach.. pushing myself in golf didn't hurt.. but on a bike when i am breathing like a fish out of water and it feels like my legs are about to burn right off my body, and I have nothing left. that is when I decide to stand up and just shredd every last bit of energy I have. thats why I do it right now. I like to see how far I am willing to go, how much pain I am willing to take before throwing in the towel. As I improve Im sure I'll join some groups then some races but as of right now Im addicted to ttraining. I can see myself going to the next level for sure, just a matter of how much pain I'm willing to take. Also it's nice to see the results, climbing much easier for longer periods of time, hitting high MPH on the flats. the results make it all worth it.

But most importantly, just being out on the bike. riding in perfect weather. taking a shower when I get home from a long ride .... all of it.. feels great.... ( tinkering with my rig is fun also )

Why do i cycle?? You know, i don't know. But i do know one thing, and it is that everytime i see my bike leaning against the wall in my hallway, i feel like grabbing it and going for a ride.

Something about sitting on that saddle, spinning the cranks and finding that rythm.

Settling into that groove of therapeutic monotony.

You, the road, and your efficient machine and the wind in your face.

The challenges are whatever I as an individual set for myself

It is my ride, my bike, my world.

It is a way of life.

willocrew said:
Why do i cycle?? You know, i don't know. But i do know one thing, and it is that everytime i see my bike leaning against the wall in my hallway, i feel like grabbing it and going for a ride.

Something about sitting on that saddle, spinning the cranks and finding that rythm.

Settling into that groove of therapeutic monotony.

You, the road, and your efficient machine and the wind in your face.

The challenges are whatever I as an individual set for myself

It is my ride, my bike, my world.

It is a way of life.
There's something almost poetic about the way you put it willowcrew. I agree about the sentiment of seeing the bike leaning against a wall and getting the urge to jump on and ride.
I'd cycled a lot as a kid to early 20s but then stopped wheh I got a car and other hobbies crept into my life. Then a couple of years or so back I moved about 6km from work. A few guys were already cycling in and I figured why not do the same. Haven't looked back since. I've moved about 20km away but still prefer to bike to work. I love the freedom, the health benefits, the tinkering as one poster put it. It's therapy, a workout, part of my social calendar; a great lifestyle. The only negative (if you can really call it that) is the expense. If you're like me (and other people I know) you can't just buy a bike; there's all the other related toys you just 'have to have' :rolleyes:. Just make sure you're partner, wife, GF or whatever is understanding :p.

I started out cycling after my brother nagged and nagged for me to join him, at first it was about a 5km circuit of the neighbourhood and i was surprised at how i battled. But within 2 months i was on the mountain and getting stronger every ride, now 5 years later i cycle nearly every day why?

1. To keep fit

2. Getting out and ridding the trails is fun.

3. Check out the photo's in the photo section of the trails i ride, the view is awsome.

1. Fun.
2. Achieving and Improving skills- Better fitness, ability,times etc.
3. Challenging.
4. Social.
5. Addictive.. adrenaline
6. Fitness
7. Being outdoors.
I started road cycling around 13 years back but gave it up after a couple years. Maybe boredom, lack of motivation, other interests can't remember. But I took up MT biking a short while back as a friend got me out on an offroad trail.
Personally I found Mt Biking more thrilling, challenging and interesting because of constantly changing terrain. I enjoy the technical aspects of XC and Some Downhill riding so I am hooked on it. I can always get a good adrenaline
biggrin.gif
hit on a challenging trail. I don't mind riding on pavement/road for additional cadence and cardio training. I have started riding my road bike again but I don't enjoy battling with cars.
I guess what I am saying give it a go whether it be Road, MTB etc.. because there is a style of cycling for everyone.

PEACE!
smile.gif

I Tricycle rather than cycle as my balance is not great, i suffer from RA (Rheumatoid arthritis) and i have type 2 Diabetes, i am overweight and cannot do regular exercise due to my condition and as i need/ want to have a good quality of life i had to find a low impact form of exercise, my doctors suggested swimming or cycling, so i now cycle (well tricycle) and feel much healthier. i have a powertryke which has electric assistance (thought it would be handy if i became to tired ) but i try to only use the power assist on big hills and when going over traffic lights (they can be scary lol) when i got the trike the manual said it takes 8 hours for a full charge but so far I've only had to recharge for about 10 minutes to top it up.

i had modded my trike with a canopy bought on ebay USA a flamed seat and I'm making a wooden box (like a pick-up buck) to replace the basket, loads of lights so car drivers can see me, and I'm looking for a bike computer so i can see how many miles i ride and how fast i go:cool: i am also going to have custom flames painted on the mudguards and frame.
heres a picture of my trike..
trike_side.jpg

i wish I'd taken riding years ago i love it..

Eamonn "trike"

I started because it started to hurt my back to much to run. I broke my back 8 years ago and it started catching up with me. I still needed to do a cardio workout and thought I would try cycling. Turns out I love riding!!!

Carlo Cabrera said:
Hello,

and the afternoon.

-Carlo
oh I have quite a few reasons:

- its like running but withouth the shin splints and also is much faster...
means that I don't feel like a freak show when I see others because I can go by pretty quickly. And its easier to get "in a zone" because you don't have your legs and ankles telling you how much they hate pounding the road. And because you have to keep a look out for hazards, and other traffic, you are distracted from how long you have been excercising... i.e I can exercise for 2 or more hours riding outside, but I couldn't do that in a gym because I would get too bored...

- its like a motorcycle because you have a machine that you can tweak and take care of...

- its great to "click" off the miles that you go on a bike, its motivating.

- it reminds me when I used to go all over the neighborhood with my friends using my "schwinn stingray" bike... they were like tanks and looked cool...

I like the excitement of pissing off people in cars and harassing dogs.

I tried running but just could never get into it....I started on a mountain bike riding around on a walking/riding track at a local college...thats what got me started....I have a few clients that are serious road bikers and they seemed to really enjoy it....I also drive a road that all the bikers(myself included now)ride on....I got curious, borrowed a road bike and that was it...I loved the speed over the mtn bike and next thing I knew I bought my own and now I ride as much as I can...it's a great feeling to ride for me...and when I'm done I really feel like I've accomplished something....go for it, you won't regret it.

When I was a kid, my father and I built bikes all the time from old parts and frames we would get at the garbage dump (you could find some really great stuff there in the 70's. It was like a permanent flea market). I got a new bike every year, built with whatever parts I wanted, painted how I wanted. It was really cool. That got me hooked. Once we built up about 60 or 70 bikes, we had a yard sale. I think we charged from $15 to $35, less for tricycles and kids bikes.

But I 've always loved bikes because of the feeling of freedom, of flying you get when you go out on a sunny day and feel the wind in your hair. I just love it. It puts me in a peaceful frame of mind. Plus I was diagnosed with MS in 2000, and the bike is the single best thing I've encountered for it. It's put me on the road to recovery.:D :cool: