Why do you need more time in between sprints when you get older?

JamesAA

Aug 10, 2013
I've started a couple threads on high HRs while training. We all know that when you age your joints and muscles become sorer and we may need more recovery time between workouts. But what about recover time between sprints --I mean like cause we are out of breath or have a higher HR than we did when we were younger?

I recall being able to sprint and take very minimal rests between sprints. I need more time now. Why is that? I'm assuming it's because of my age (I'm 40 now), and I think that's a fair assumption, but does aging affect our "out of breath" recovery time too??

It is hard to sort the truths from the myths.

At 40 one is beat up by time to a greater extent than at 20. SO decreases in performance may be due to that rather than aging.

But there are a lot of stories about older guys doing well against younger guys. So another point against aging.

I know that at 40 I was wiser than at 20. Losing a sprint meant less at 40. (But I am not about to make any claim I could win a sprint at 20.)

Jack LaLanne was not a sprinter, but he stayed in the shape he wanted to be in until very late in his life.

---

At any age: Do what you can. Don't do what you cannot do. Save some for tomorrow.