why do you ride on a shared path

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Muso, Mar 9, 2004.

  1. Muso

    Muso Guest

    Just wondering, you guys in the lycra, nearly all going
    through a midlife crisis or what? little kids on a "SHARED"
    path and wanker riders flying past yelling watch out!!! what
    a pack of losers, it's a shared path for christ sake! if you
    want to ride like real tossers use the road and yell at the
    cars. at least they'll hit you back.

    Tags:

  2. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    I ride on a shared path because it's a shared path.

    Later.

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Muso wrote:
    > Just wondering, you guys in the lycra, nearly all going
    > through a midlife crisis or what?

    You certainly do have one big chip on your shoulder there!

    Such paths are happily shared between commuters, fittness
    riders, roller-bladers (except just after Christmas when
    they are a PITA), joggers, pram-pushers, dog walkers (with
    leash!) etc. All regular users know to keep left, especially
    when they hear the warning bell of an approaching cyclist.

    > little kids on a "SHARED" path

    Little kids have _no_place_ on a shared path until they have
    learned to ride safely and correctly. Keep your wobbly
    dyslexic brats away until they know right from left and can
    be trusted on a public way.

    > and wanker riders flying past yelling watch

    So you never wank Muso? You must feel so guilty when you do.

    > out!!! what a pack of losers, it's a shared path for
    > christ sake! if you

    Or are the loosers the parents who recklessly take their
    chilren beyond their depth?

    > want to ride like real tossers use the road and yell at
    > the cars. at least they'll hit you back.

    It seems to me you are doing a lot of yelling there, and
    from a cowarldly anonamous address too. What a tosser.

  4. Drs

    Drs Guest

    Muso <[email protected]> wrote in message
    [email protected]om.au
    > Just wondering, you guys in the lycra, nearly all going
    > through a midlife crisis or what? little kids on a
    > "SHARED" path and wanker riders flying past yelling watch
    > out!!! what a pack of losers, it's a shared path for
    > christ sake! if you want to ride like real tossers use the
    > road and yell at the cars. at least they'll hit you back.

    Yes, it is a shared path, so stop moaning because you're
    expected to share
    it. If you keep left so you can be overtaken there isn't a
    problem. If your kids can't keep left then they
    shouldn't be riding on the path and if they ignore the
    warning bell then they can expect to be yelled at. They
    are not only doing the wrong thing but causing a
    dangerous situation.

    It's people ignoring the bell who really give me the shits.
    I think I might invest in an air horn. I nearly ran up the
    arse of three middle-aged dickheads walking three abreast on
    the path near Elwood the other day who simply ignored my
    frantically ringing bell as they drifted along in their
    respective fantasy worlds. Can you get frame-racks for sawn-
    off shotguns?

    --

    "I'm proud that I live in a country where witnessing two
    hours of bloody, barbarous torture in gloating detail is

  5. Muso wrote:

    > Just wondering, you guys in the lycra, nearly all going
    > through a midlife crisis or what? little kids on a
    > "SHARED" path and wanker riders flying past yelling watch
    > out!!! what a pack of losers, it's a shared path for
    > christ sake! if you want to ride like real tossers use the
    > road and yell at the cars. at least they'll hit you back.

    I remember riding along a shared path (Yarra bike trail
    before the paper mills) where you could see for many
    hundreds of meters and yet the -gaggle- of women who were
    walking around 6-7 abreast (the path is -very- wide) still
    couldn't get out of the f*cking way!

    The only thing that moved them at all was the fact that I
    was about to run into them - and I was right on the very
    edge of the path.

    Dale

    --
    [email protected]

  6. Joel Mayes

    Joel Mayes Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, DRS wrote:

    <snip>

    > It's people ignoring the bell who really give me the
    > shits. I think I might invest in an air horn. I nearly ran
    > up the arse of three middle-aged dickheads walking three
    > abreast on the path near Elwood the other day who simply
    > ignored my frantically ringing bell as they drifted along
    > in their respective fantasy worlds. Can you get frame-
    > racks for sawn-off shotguns?

    mount a single barrel shotty along one side of the top tube
    with a trigger attachment rigged up from an old brake lever,
    you could then clear a path without having to endarger
    yourself by taking your hand away from the brakes.

    you might need knobbly tires though...

    --
    | Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign Accordionist | \_/
    | stop HTML mail and news Musician | / \ Music Teacher |

  7. Euan B Uk

    Euan B Uk Guest

    Muso> Just wondering, you guys in the lycra, nearly all
    Muso> going through a midlife crisis or what? little
    Muso> kids on a "SHARED" path and wanker riders flying
    Muso> past yelling watch out!!! what a pack of losers,
    Muso> it's a shared path for christ sake! if you want to
    Muso> ride like real tossers use the road and yell at
    Muso> the cars. at least they'll hit you back.

    Blah blah blah...

    Biggest law breakers on the road, pedestrians. Rarely obey
    lights, look where they're going or act with due care for
    other road users.

    I ride on the road because I'd rather put my safety in the
    hands of motorists who have a clue than pedestrians who
    don't. Shared paths are just way too dangerous.
    --
    Cheers Euan

  8. Joel Mayes

    Joel Mayes Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Dale Stanbrough wrote:
    > Muso wrote:
    >
    >> Just wondering, you guys in the lycra, nearly all going
    >> through a midlife crisis or what? little kids on a
    >> "SHARED" path and wanker riders flying past yelling
    >> watch out!!! what a pack of losers, it's a shared path
    >> for christ sake! if you want to ride like real tossers
    >> use the road and yell at the cars. at least they'll hit
    >> you back.
    >

    > I remember riding along a shared path (Yarra bike trail
    > before the paper mills) where you could see for many
    > hundreds of meters and yet the -gaggle- of women who were
    > walking around 6-7 abreast (the path is -very- wide) still
    > couldn't get out of the f*cking way!
    >
    > The only thing that moved them at all was the fact that I
    > was about to run into them - and I was right on the very
    > edge of the path.
    >
    > Dale

    three and a half words

    Air Zound II

    I've never had problems with people not leaving room to over
    taking since I got one of these, and with a bit of practice
    you can half depress and valve to get a normal volume honk,
    which is enough for most people, and save the full volume
    blast for inconsiderates.

    --
    | Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign Accordionist | \_/
    | stop HTML mail and news Musician | / \ Music Teacher |

  9. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Arrr, stop it!

    All this shared bikepath chatter is bringing back bad bad memories of the dogs on/off lead shenanigans on the Merri bikepath a few years back. Does walking/cycling on a standard width path bring upon selective deafness, perception and limited intelligence on the end users? ie; a temporary dose of the stupids. :p

    vale, Andy I., from those of us who remember in Moreland.

  10. Drs

    Drs Guest

    Joel Mayes <[email protected]> wrote in message
    [email protected]

    [...]

    > three and a half words
    >
    > Air Zound II

    Who carries them in Oz and for how much?

    --

    "I'm proud that I live in a country where witnessing two
    hours of bloody, barbarous torture in gloating detail is
    considered indicia of religious piety, whereas a mere second
    gazing upon a woman's breast is cause for outraged
    apoplexy." Betty Bowers,
    http://www.bettybowers.com/melgibsonpassion.html

  11. Damned if you do, damned if you dont - when we ride on the
    road there are often drivers annoyed that we're NOT on the
    shared path!

    It might not have occured to you Muso, but shared paths are
    intended to be used for transport not just recreation - my
    council has made this very clear in its latest transport
    planning sessions. I often ride on a shared path for part of
    my route, when it's the most direct and traffic-free option.
    Even allowing for slowing to overtake pedestrians, by using
    the bike path I can get to one destination in 30 mins by
    bike, only 5 minutes more than by car.

    There's no "mid-life crisis" here, just a decision to be a
    one-car household for reasons like cost, fitness/health
    and environment. And I wear lycra when it's the most
    practical clothing!

    Road rules DO apply on a shared path - keep left etc. Here's
    what I googled: http://www.bv.com.au/download/ACF41B.pdf
    http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/trum/tr2001121.pdf
    http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/randl/part_15.pdf

    You certainly do have to be careful overtaking kids, slowing
    down as much as appropriate, judging their likelihood to
    step in front of you, level of parental control, your
    braking ability etc. Just as you should on the road, eg at a
    school. The cycle path experience should also be part of the
    kids' "road-sense" education.

    DRS, I got an Air Zound air horn for exactly the reason you
    describe, and it definitely works! Sometimes I feel it's too
    loud, but you can control it with a short "tap" rather than
    a full press. I've also been thanked by pedestrians for
    giving good warning that I'm approaching. Much better than a
    bell, considering that people might be wearing headphones or
    hard of hearing. It's also come in handy to ward off an
    aggressive dog at night...

  12. Joel Mayes

    Joel Mayes Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, DRS wrote:
    > Joel Mayes <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > [email protected]
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> three and a half words
    >>
    >> Air Zound II
    >
    > Who carries them in Oz and for how much?

    I got mine from <blush> Rebel Sport </blush> but I'm sure I
    have seen them in bikes stores around the traps.

    --
    | Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign Accordionist | \_/
    | stop HTML mail and news Musician | / \ Music Teacher |

  13. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I'm one of the "wanker riders" you're referring to, and use
    a combination of shared path and road. Shared path because
    it's safer at certain locations, and road for the same
    reason. I always use a bell to warn pedestrians, but as some
    other posters have pointed out, it often means nothing to
    many pedestrians. Most of the time they jump the wrong way.
    As for the lycra, it feels great against the skin, don't you
    reckon?! Once swore I'd never use it, but once you have, you
    can never go back!

    Slightly OT, but has anyone noticed that most pedestrians
    using the shared paths are, um, weight disadvantaged? (and
    take up more than their fair share of the track!) I'm often
    tempted to stop & tell them that walking a couple of km's
    with a water bottle just isn't going to achieve the desired
    result, and that maybe they should take up cycling - just
    haven't had the guts to do it - yet.

    "Muso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just wondering, you guys in the lycra, nearly all going
    > through a midlife crisis or what? little kids on a
    > "SHARED" path and wanker riders flying past yelling watch
    > out!!! what a pack of losers, it's a shared path for
    > christ sake! if you want to ride like real tossers use the
    > road and yell at the cars. at least they'll hit you back.

  14. Drs

    Drs Guest

    Joel Mayes <[email protected]> wrote in message
    [email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>, DRS wrote:
    >> Joel Mayes <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> [email protected]
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>
    >>> three and a half words
    >>>
    >>> Air Zound II
    >>
    >> Who carries them in Oz and for how much?
    >
    > I got mine from <blush> Rebel Sport </blush> but I'm sure
    > I have seen them in bikes stores around the traps.

    How much was it? There's nothing like knowing the full
    retail price. :)

    --

    "I'm proud that I live in a country where witnessing two
    hours of bloody, barbarous torture in gloating detail is
    considered indicia of religious piety, whereas a mere second
    gazing upon a woman's breast is cause for outraged
    apoplexy." Betty Bowers,
    http://www.bettybowers.com/melgibsonpassion.html

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Arrr, stop it!
    >
    > All this shared bikepath chatter is bringing back bad bad
    > memories of the dogs on/off lead shenanigans on the Merri
    > bikepath a few years back. Does walking/cycling on a
    > standard width path bring upon selective deafness,
    > perception and limited intelligence on the end users? ie;
    > a temporary dose of the stupids. :p

    I was cycling to the shops a few months back. I was only a
    few hundred meters from home when I heard the familiar sound
    of the dog owner earnestly calling her yappy dog back.
    Looked down and saw said yappy dog quickly catching up with
    me, and -seriously- attempting to bite my foot.

    Released the clips, and managed to get a nice glancing blow
    to the head of the dog who was promptly unbalanced and went
    for a tumble. It rather sheepishly ran back home.

    What a nice feeling that was! I don't know if I would have
    felt guilty if the kick had caught the dog properly...

    Dale

    --
    [email protected]

  16. Joel Mayes

    Joel Mayes Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, DRS wrote:
    > Joel Mayes <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > [email protected]
    >> In article <[email protected]>, DRS wrote:
    >>> Joel Mayes <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> [email protected]
    >>>
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> Who carries them in Oz and for how much?
    >>
    >> I got mine from <blush> Rebel Sport </blush> but I'm sure
    >> I have seen them in bikes stores around the traps.
    >
    > How much was it? There's nothing like knowing the full
    > retail price. :)

    $45 IIRC well worth it, its the only bike horn I've seen
    (heard...) which I *know* will be heard inside a car with
    the stero blasting

    --
    | Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign Accordionist | \_/
    | stop HTML mail and news Musician | / \ Music Teacher |

  17. Drs

    Drs Guest

    Tony <[email protected]> wrote in message [email protected]
    server.bigpond.net.au
    > I'm one of the "wanker riders" you're referring to,
    > and use a

    I think we need to know which paths the OP frequents so we
    can try to work out which one of us is the guilty one. :)

    --

    "I'm proud that I live in a country where witnessing two
    hours of bloody, barbarous torture in gloating detail is
    considered indicia of religious piety, whereas a mere second
    gazing upon a woman's breast is cause for outraged
    apoplexy." Betty Bowers,
    http://www.bettybowers.com/melgibsonpassion.html

  18. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    jazmo <[email protected]> wrote in news:Jmg3c.51653$Ja7.37337
    @fe11.usenetserver.com:

    > I ride on a shared path because it's a shared path.

    Coming from the UK I'm kind of in two minds about your
    shared paths over here (Perth). I was never keen on shared
    paths back home as they are often less safe than the
    alternative road for a variety of reasons. But the shared
    paths around Perth seem to be pretty good as there doesn't
    seem to be as much sharing going on, it's mainly cyclists.
    However a number of them seem to share a lot of the problems
    from the UK, e.g. crossing driveways, side streets etc.
    There's a fairly decent SP along the side of the Leach
    Highway near where I live, but it hacks me off to have to
    keep stopping for side roads. If I cycled on the road with
    the traffic I'd not have to stop all the time but I don't
    because - a) I'd probably get deafened by shouts of "Get on
    the path/off the road!" and b) my wife would kill me if she
    found out :-(

    Anyway, my back is still crook (getting better though), so
    it's all pretty academic at the moment :-(

    Graeme

  19. Drs

    Drs Guest

    Andrew Reddaway <[email protected]> wrote in
    message [email protected]
    > Damned if you do, damned if you dont - when we ride on the
    > road there are often drivers annoyed that we're NOT on the
    > shared path!
    >
    > It might not have occured to you Muso, but shared paths
    > are intended to be used for transport not just recreation
    > - my council has made this very clear in its latest
    > transport planning sessions. I often

    I wish Port Philip Council would do that but they probably
    think putting signs up teling people of their obligations
    and responsibilities is too fascist or something.

    [...]

    > Road rules DO apply on a shared path - keep left etc.
    > Here's what I googled:
    > http://www.bv.com.au/download/ACF41B.pdf
    > http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/trum/tr2001121.pdf

    Has anyone ever seen any of the signs (keep left, etc) on a
    bike or shared path? I haven't. The road stuff, yes, but not
    the Level 2 stuff.

    [...]

    > DRS, I got an Air Zound air horn for exactly the reason
    > you describe, and it definitely works! Sometimes I feel
    > it's too loud, but you can

    It's now high on my list. I may even get one before I get my
    new tyres.

    --

    "I'm proud that I live in a country where witnessing two
    hours of bloody, barbarous torture in gloating detail is
    considered indicia of religious piety, whereas a mere second
    gazing upon a woman's breast is cause for outraged
    apoplexy." Betty Bowers,
    http://www.bettybowers.com/melgibsonpassion.html

  20. Graeme