Why do you ride?

rich westerman wrote:

> Ok, lets start the 'best tea in the world' thread and get it out of our system!

Bettys And Taylors Yorkshire Tea - http://www.yorkshiretea.co.uk/frame.asp Builders' tea - a
battered box of supermarket own-brand tea bags which have been in the back of the van for at least
six months and contain equal quantities of tea and cement dust. Milk and at least two sugars
mandatory.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"Torben Scheel" skrev...

> "R.White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Don't know if this is one place you looked, but it tells, among other things, how to reduce the
> > amount of caffiene in iced tea brewed at home.
> >
> > http://www.chinamist.com/knowledge/health/caffeine/
>
> Why on earth would you want to do that??

And theres decaff tea available anyway. When I feel like having a headache I might give it
a try. ;-)

M.

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 22:48:56 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 18:41:16 GMT, Jon Meinecke <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>The Earl can keep his bergamot oil to himself! Piccard obviously had no taste buds left after all
>>that warp-speed travel.
>
>Ah, maybe you've been drinking it wrong. No milk, perhaps a slice of lemon. Delicious!

No dairy'd tea tea for me. My wife likes English blends "white", htough. A bit of sugar or lemon,
perhaps, depending on mood and flatness of the tea. But not for a fine Darjeeling.

People do "wine region" bike tours in CA and France... Wonder if touring "tea estates/regions by
bike would be fun?

Any India recumbenteers?

Jon Meinecke

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 12:13:52 +0900, Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote:

>Keemun.
>
>No milk or sugar.

Yes, no need. Keemun made strong and iced goes great in bike bottle on a hot day.

For those of us without local sources, mail-order places like www.specialteas.com are great, with
hundreds of choices.

Jon Meinecke

"rich westerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ok, lets start the 'best tea in the world' thread and get it out of our system!

Any Earl Grey, Honey, Lemon and LOTS of Stroh rum (60 or 80%), if I have a nasty cold and feel
really sorry for myself. It delays the headache a bit.

In the year -94 (i´m 29 now) i had a nasty crash with a motorbike to a roadside steel fence. Almost
lost the left leg as i hit the sharp edge of the pole. So i have some muscle defects on the butt and
back of the left leg. Riding regular bicycle is possible but rough to the injured side.

Last tuesday reading bicycle news some one was telling about recumbents. I started to investigate
and found quite alot info and a shop that imports these things to Finland (as i am Finnish).
Wednesday i had my first ever test drive and after 3 minutes i was in love I GOTS TO HAVE one of
these things. No pressure on my "bad" places and very relaxed riding position all in all.

Now i have to get my doctor to recomend the insurance company to finance my recumbent bike.

Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:46:51 GMT, "rich westerman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Ok, lets start the 'best tea in the world' thread and get it out of our system!
>
> Keemun.
>
> No milk or sugar.

I'm with you, Ken. Any cheap black China tea - Keemun, Congou or similar. I get it at the House of
Tea in Philadelphia (shameless plug for a great tea store). Can't be beat. They even have organic
chinese tea (Golden Halo) which is excellent.

>People do "wine region" bike tours in CA and France... Wonder if touring "tea estates/regions by
>bike would be fun?
>
>Any India recumbenteers?

As I said before proper tea comes from China! But cyling halfway round the world when there's a
perfectly well stocked chinese shop just round the corner may be overdoing it a bit...

As for decaff tea: I entirely fail to see the point of no-alcohol beer, fat-free yoghurt,
calorie-free food, or decaff tea and coffee. What will they think of next, stationary bicycles?

Mark van Gorkom.

P.S.: I too used to "sweeten" my tea with a bit of Stroh rum: 80 proof (40%) tea does work wonders
against a bit of cold!

> Derek has convinced me to tour later this year (that is what the bent was made for) We will do
> the HH100
> (100K) in August and I am about to buy some panniers....

Do you know what you need yet? I can help. The touring mailing list mailto:[email protected]
subscribe at http://phred.org/mailman/listinfo/touring can provide lots of touring

> Time to go touring and ride across Oklahoma with Derek next year.

And then where???

I think my next stop is Denmark.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:46:51 GMT, "rich westerman" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Ok, lets start the 'best tea in the world' thread and get it out of our system!

Masala Chai for this goat. Take cheap black tea and boil the **** out of it with cassia, cardamon,
ginger, pepper etc. Add DCM[1] and sugar. Lovely.

[1] Note for furriners and non-Tiswas fans, DCM is De Condensed Milk. Ooooo-kaaaayyy...

--
DG

Bah!

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:20:27 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Builders' tea - a battered box of supermarket own-brand tea bags which have been in the back of the
>van for at least six months and contain equal quantities of tea and cement dust. Milk and at least
>two sugars mandatory.

That takes me back a bit. I used to drink tea like that when I was a removal man.

Guy
===

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:48:17 GMT, Jon Meinecke <[email protected]> wrote:
>People do "wine region" bike tours in CA and France... Wonder if touring "tea estates/regions by
>bike would be fun?
>
>Any India recumbenteers?

Isn't tea usually grown in hilly high-altitude regions? Not the best venue for a recumbent tour.

I think a Kona Coffee and Macademia Nut Tour on Hawaii Island would be more fun. With optional
14,000 ft hill climb to Mauna Kea :)

I ride so I can enjoy a cold Guiness and shoot the **** with my riding partners when I'm done, and
news:[email protected]...

Mark van Gorkom wrote:

> As I said before proper tea comes from China!

Meanwhile, Bakunin and Proudhon are in a tea room in Tunbridge Wells.

Proudhon [spitting out tea in horror]: Jesus Christ, Bakunin, I thought you said we were going to
have proper tea! Bakunin: Ah, my dear fellow, proper tea is theft!

(dies)

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

ggg <[email protected]> wrote:
: Last tuesday reading bicycle news some one was telling about recumbents. I started to investigate
: and found quite alot info and a shop that imports these things to Finland (as i am Finnish).
: Wednesday i had my first ever test drive and after 3 minutes i was in love I GOTS TO HAVE one of
: these things. No pressure on my "bad" places and very relaxed riding position all in all.

Bents are that different?

Some can put pressure on your butt, this is called the "bent butt" problem. Funnily enough, I'm
quite fine on many uprights and bents, but on the Alleweder (a velomobile) I experienced both bent
butt and numb feet... after maybe 30 mins of somewhat hard riding.

On 19 Jun 2003 14:37:54 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>Some can put pressure on your butt, this is called the "bent butt" problem.

I think that's muscular rather than pressure-related. Your glutes get some work to do on a 'bent. On
the plus side, ladies apparently prefer a gentleman to have "buns of steel" :)

Guy
===