Why do you ride?

It's as close to freedom as I can get, but I ride mainly for exploring new places, seeing new things, and meeting great people.

For the physical and psychological benefits. Cycling has helped me lose weight, and it also helps me unwind. I live in a rural area so the air quality is good, although some of the roads are in poor repair. You can exercise alone unlike some other activities and you don't need to get to a specific facility such as a gym. Those are reasons enough for me, although I'm open to the idea of trying new things too :).

I love cycling i can forget all the problems when i'm in the bike, it's a great feeling of freedom :)

NomadVW said:
So I don't have to run.
Good reply :)

I occasionally run, and would have to say it's a much simpler sport in a way. I mean you don't need much, just a good pair of shoes really, plus you don't have to worry about flats and such issues.

Why do I ride? I ride because it sets me free. It lets me focus on one thing, and one thing I love. That is why I ride.

I was pretty active in my younger days, and at 19 yrs I was is a motorcycle accident that crushed my left leg. My hip was broken and dislocated. My kneecap was broken, the miniscus was torn and 3 inches of shinbone was missing. Maybe one of the neighborhood dogs had a special treat later. I got things cleaned up a bit in the ER but the docs did not know to do w/me. At that time (1972) they had never grafted more than 2 inches of bone and I needed 3. Amputation seemed like the thing to do. I had a young doctor though and we tried to save the leg. I'll spare you all the details, but I have had multiple skin grafts, bone grafts, and reconstructive surgeries. One of the reconstructions was botched and I came within a whisker of amputating the leg again in 1996. I can no longer run, jump, skate... The one thing I seem to be able to do is ride the bike, albeit not as well as I would like. So for me riding the bike is a way for me to express myself athletically. The riding has never been easy for me though. I have some limitations, and dialing in my position is/has been difficult. It's been 25 years now since I started riding bikes and I have yet to complete a season w/o some sort of overuse injury or accident. Although there were 2 or 3 years in there where I lost my motivation. I'm a slow twitch guy and I always knew that if I could train like a cyclist I could be good. I just haven't been able to get over the hump...yet. HOWEVER I am getting close. Very close. In fact I believe that this is my year. So I ride because I can!

I ride because if I didn't, my wife would kill me for having spent so much on a bicycle and bike components.

vio765 said:
Tell me your story about why you ride. What is your purpose?
1. Commuting to work saves $$$.
2. Better for the Environment.
3. By not purchasing gasoline, I'm not adding to the US Trade Deficit.
4. It's fun!
5. It's great exercise.
6. It encourages others to ride.
7. In my case, I believe it's safer. We have well designed bike lanes.

and many more...

chainstretched said:
Good reply :)

I occasionally run, and would have to say it's a much simpler sport in a way. I mean you don't need much, just a good pair of shoes really, plus you don't have to worry about flats and such issues.
Plus a good set of knees..which I don't have.
eek.gif

Also good cross training for winter sports and others but now I'm more addicted to cycling than snowboarding and everything else.

Because I'm alive
Because I love to do it
Because I need it
Because it's part of me

and so on ...

OoAmericanGirl said:
I really wanted to get in shape and loose weight, but now I'm really into backroads and long rides.
+1 I love the country roads, and am getting to where I enjoy the longer rides. I started riding for fitness, and that is still a very strong reason. It gets me up in the morning for my early morning ride.

I ride because of that feeling I get when my rode bike and I are riding along, alone with the wind in my face. The feeling when I speed up. I ride because it's my passion.