Why do you ride?

alienator

Jun 10, 2004
Have we had this thread? I looked, but maybe selective blindness prevented me from seeing it.

alienator said:
Have we had this thread? I looked, but maybe selective blindness prevented me from seeing it.
Perhaps this thread could be a poll?

I ride:

1. So I can shave my legs and wear spandex.
2. Because I got picked on by other kids and still have something to prove.
3. Because I suck at all other sports (see #2).
4. To save the planet!
5. I feel close to all the other disfunctional people, or all of the above.

:D

alienator said:
I like to work on bikes and experience the fruits of my labor! As an added bonus, there always seem to be a lot of scantily clad fit women on the local bike trails, so ogleing figures into it too:rolleyes: .

alienator said:

Oh, no. I hear the Blue Train coming in the distance.

I was seriously getting a bit too pork-chopish for my own taste and my knees/ankles feel horrid enough; cycling was low-impact on the joints (plus I hatehatehate jogging) and very enjoyable.

Plus it allows me to ditch the car for a few months a year, which is nice. I actually made my first trip to the liquor store with my daughter's burly on the back for a beer run a month back.

There may have been a similar thread at one time but it was long time ago.

Answers:
Running sucks.
I look damn good in Lycra
Chicks dig cyclist. :rolleyes:
A chain ring mark on my calf gives me the illusion of having a tatoo
I get off on dog bites
I get off on being cursed my people in cars
It is a good way to dispose of more money
I would say that I just love have a wedge shaped piece of
leather shoved up my a** for 3 hours but it just doesn't sound
right so I will go with drop bars remind me of womens boobs

I love the feeling of freedom on the bike. I love the fact that my body is powering the vehicle getting me to were I;m going, I love the sound of a well tuned bike, I love the sound of the wheels and tires flowing down the road, I love the feeling of accomplishment when I climb hills I love riding in a group and being able to talk while doing it. I love riding in a group and being pushed so hard no one can talk. I just plain love to ride.

alienator said:
OK, some of us have given our reasons, what's yours?

kdelong said:
OK, some of us have given our reasons, what's yours?

Because I can.
Because I like the solitude of a ride. It's a time to clear my head. It's a time to think deeply (solving science problems and the like).
Because it connects me with the natural world.
And now, I ride to honor a lady's life, a young lady that died unexpectedly and in so doing, gave me the gift of a new pancreas. It's one way to make sure her life, to some degree, carries on.

alienator said:
Because I can.
Because I like the solitude of a ride. It's a time to clear my head. It's a time to think deeply (solving science problems and the like).
Because it connects me with the natural world.
And now, I ride to honor a lady's life, a young lady that died unexpectedly and in so doing, gave me the gift of a new pancreas. It's one way to make sure her life, to some degree, carries on.

Wait a minute, Alien, a new pancreas - I don't remember you mentioning anything about that before, which means that either you didn't, or you did and I missed it (yes, I used to teach advanced logic). What happened to your original equipment, if you don't mind me being so nosy? (And I have a feeling what's coming!)

Pendejo said:
Wait a minute, Alien, a new pancreas - I don't remember you mentioning anything about that before, which means that either you didn't, or you did and I missed it (yes, I used to teach advanced logic). What happened to your original equipment, if you don't mind me being so nosy? (And I have a feeling what's coming!)

The original didn't do one of its two jobs, so now I've got another to handle that job. I have two, now. You didn't miss anything because I hadn't said anything until now.

alienator said:
The original didn't do one of its two jobs, so now I've got another to handle that job. I have two, now. You didn't miss anything because I hadn't said anything until now.

Man, that's serious business. I'm glad it ended happily (at least for you, but obviously not for the poor donor). Do you have to take anti-rejection drugs indefinitely? It's really hard to stay healthy in this world. Those of you who are healthy should treasure it above all else. And when you get down about the usual ******** of life, imagine that just one minute ago you were lying in a hospital bed with terminal cancer and now you've been suddenly transferred to where you are now. Perspective.

alienator said:
I am happy that you are fully functional and able to honor the life of that unfortunate young lady whose untimely demise made it possible:eek:.

Pendejo said:
Man, that's serious business. I'm glad it ended happily (at least for you, but obviously not for the poor donor). Do you have to take anti-rejection drugs indefinitely? It's really hard to stay healthy in this world. Those of you who are healthy should treasure it above all else. And when you get down about the usual ******** of life, imagine that just one minute ago you were lying in a hospital bed with terminal cancer and now you've been suddenly transferred to where you are now. Perspective.

Yup. I take a pill or two. It's worth it, though, to be cured of diabetes.

alienator said:
Yup. I take a pill or two. It's worth it, though, to be cured of diabetes.

You're a diabetic? That explains everything, some of the moodiest folks I ever had the pleasure of have diabetes.

alienator said:

I got in to racing at a very young age.

Now that I am well retired from racing, I still enjoy going out on the bike.
Why?
Fresh air.
being away from responsibilities like work/family.
helps to maintain my moderate level of fitness.
helps to keep me relatively healthy (touch wood).
It is an escape from driving my car.
And most importantly, I just love the bike.

Ideally I would love to be able to commute to work by bike - but being self employed and having clients in various locations, cycling isn't an option (unfortunately).

gemship said:
You're a diabetic? That explains everything, some of the moodiest folks I ever had the pleasure of have diabetes.
I have a hunch a non-diabetic alienator would still have a screamin' ***** streak a mile wide. ;)

limerickman said:
I got in to racing at a very young age.

Now that I am well retired from racing, I still enjoy going out on the bike.

...being away from responsibilities like work/family.
I HAVE noticed - in my limited experience - that even a moderate ride really shakes off most anything that is bothering you, or at least puts it in perspective.

I might LEAVE work pretty ****** off many days, but I don't get home that way when I'm biking.

A picture tells it all, I'm the bloke on the front
2300202138_982a937db9_o.jpg