Why do you tolerate unpaid advertising?

Discussion in 'Tell us what you think!' started by p38lightning, Aug 19, 2005.

1. p38lightning

p38lightning New Member

This guy cycler007 keeps posting advertising with links. Others have complained, not just me. Why do you tolerate this?

I'm in your debt for providing the server and doing the work for all of these great forums, but this stuff seems completely out of place.

Tags:

2. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi

I'll check it out, thanks for pointing the problem out.

cheers

3. lumpy

lumpy New Member

I'm not so sure it falls into advertising. The assumption is that cycler007 is benefiting from this. It's possible he's just doing a good deed and passing on savings to fellow cyclists. I don't know and I really don't care what his motives are. I personally have saved a lot of money from Nashbar and Performance thanks to his posts. I view it as a valuable service and when I need something, I look for his posts. I don't feel like searching the web for these deals when they're right here at cyclingforums.com.

Perhaps there is an appropriate place here at cyclingforums.com where these deals can be shared? And cycler007 could only post once instead of in multiple forums?

4. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi

Thats why I let them go in the past.

I like your suggestion of a 'good deals' forum. For it to work it'd have to be moderated and setup to allow members to only post one post per week.

cheers

5. Briguy

Briguy New Member

His posts has saved me a lot of money.

6. shannons dad

shannons dad New Member

I'm not so sure he is a cyclist. I've had a nosey at all his posts and not one of them have anything remotely to do with cycling, apart from the fact that his links are to cycle stores. The stores he constantly shoves in our headtubes already have adverts at the top of each forum page and I would suspect that the advertising space has been paid for. Therefor removing the need for cycler007 to post endless money-saving coupons. I would be amazed if anyone on this planet disagreed with that.

7. lumpy

lumpy New Member

Well, since there seems to be a fair number of people who have benefited from his coupons, perhaps those who don't want to see his posts should add cycler007 to their ignore list.

8. shannons dad

shannons dad New Member

I didn't think that would work, but it does!!!:) Thanks!!!:)

9. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

I like the idea of having a special deals forum.

10. shannons dad

shannons dad New Member

Well people, it's starting again. Now it's 'cycleacross'. 12 posts at time of writing, each and every one advertising coupons and deals at nashbar and performance. One of 'em even used to hijack a thread by another member who was askng for advice on a bike. This is getting beyond friggin' ridiculous. Steve, PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEEE do something. Yet another name to add to my ignore list, which makes 2. Cycler007 being the first. Why do I get the feeling this new sales pillock is cycler007 under a different username?:mad: