why does a sram derailleur cost $200?

Satisfies a market, not technology or performance, niche.

gene asked:

> what does it do for $200?

Non-surgical, drug-free male enhancement.

D'ohBoy

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>what does it do for $200?

The same thing your $15 cheapo Shimano derailleur does. It just looks prettier
while doing it. People will pay more for prettier.
--------------
Alex

D'ohBoy wrote:

> Non-surgical, drug-free male enhancement.

D'ohBoy meant:

Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> writes:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>
>>what does it do for $200?

> The same thing your $15 cheapo Shimano derailleur does. It just
> looks prettier while doing it. People will pay more for prettier.

Prettier, lighter *and* cooler than yours are a successful marketing
combination.

D'ohBoy wrote:
> D'ohBoy wrote:
>
>> Non-surgical, drug-free male enhancement.

> D'ohBoy meant:
>
>> Non-surgical, drug-free EGO enhancement.

D'ohBoy ever hear of Sigmund Freud? (It was either that, or "Same
difference" :) )

it also shifts a lot faster and smoother than a $15.cheapo Shimano
derailleur does

Quoth BS:

> D'ohBoy ever hear of Sigmund Freud?

Yes.

And sometimes a cigar isn't just a cigar..... I bet you love them, Bill
;-)

D'ohBoy

Shift like a Hell and looks BAD ASS>I Know I have 1.

--
J/O TrailBlazer At Large!!

D'ohBoy wrote:
> Quoth BS:
>
>> D'ohBoy ever hear of Sigmund Freud?

> Yes.
>
> And sometimes a cigar isn't just a cigar..... I bet you love them,
> Bill ;-)

Oh, now, Appster... If *I* said that you'd accuse me of some sort of
homophobic hate-speech!

Tsk.

Bill "almost 3 years cigar (real ones)-free" S.

PS: Still over-snipping to ruin context, I see. "Fascinating."

On 2 Dec 2005 09:28:29 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>what does it do for $200?

Answer number 1: The same thing that the SRAM I bought for $15 does;
shift the chain.

Answer number 2: Turn your $200 into the retailer's $200.

Answer number 3: Cost you so much that you are certain to be
impressed with how much better it works than the one you took
off....or at least, how much better it will work once you finish
dialing in that piece of precision equipment you just bought.

Answer number 4: Gives you the opportunity to sneer at the lesser
mortals who ride around with a mere last-year's Ultegra.

You are free to choose any answer that works for you. There are
additional answers that have not been listed here.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Bill Sornson wrote:

> Oh, now, Appster... If *I* said that you'd accuse me of some sort of
> homophobic hate-speech!
>
> Tsk.

Bill -

Just responding in kind. Sophomoric banter IS your stock-in-trade.

D'ohBoy

Oh, yeah, Bill -

Just 'cuz you like to smoke one now and then doesn't make you gay.
Relax.

D'ohBoy

A Muzi wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > what does it do for $200?

> the same things a $14.95 SunRace and a $239 Record do.
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Cold snowy day here in the republic so we three yak about the current
bicycle market until we can pop open a beer.

Bicycle market is awash with goofy and idiotic, run by marketeers and
bean counters. As mentioned, what does the bicycle inductry do to
EXPAND, that is grow with adding MORE people that are riding bicycles.
Answer is nothing. It will not survive if one company grows by 2% by
taking 2% biz from another. Golf, for crissakes is growing faster than
Cycling.

ALL of the makers of things bike have whizzbangery in their eyes and
forget that MOST people, particularly new riders want reliable,
functional, followed by decent looking. They care not about weight,
stiffness, carbon, aerodynamics, etc, There are still people that just
want to ride their bicycle. It isn't too much to ask that it should
work, w/o frequent trips to the bike shop for tweaks, repairs and
adjustments. You wouldn't stand for that on your car, why do you on a
simple thing like a bicycle?

BUT safer places to ride MUST be created to encourage people to ride
more, more people to ride. If it is downright scary to ride a bicycle,
like it is in MOST USA places, forgettaboutit, nothing will change, and
bicycles will continue to be awash with the goofy and idiotic.

mhk wrote:
> it also shifts a lot faster and smoother than a $15.cheapo Shimano
> derailleur does

But not faster or smoother than a $50 shimano rear der does.

Marketing, just like people selling Subaru WRXs, with all sorts of
plastic fins, scoops, skirts, to make ya feel like one of those Euro
Rally guys, blasting thru the S' on a Saturday morning in anytown, USA.

D'ohBoy wrote:

> Just 'cuz you like to smoke one now and then doesn't make you gay.
> Relax.

Much like the doctor who performed your circumcision, you over-snipped yet
again.

Smoochies, BS