why does a sram derailleur cost $200?

> I was talking to a friend who owns an LBS and he was telling me that
> people like us are the worse clients in the world. We buy 1 tire, two
> tubes, and maybe a pair of shorts a year,and we complain that they are
> too expensive. We do all our repair work, and some of us are still
> using the same campy record derailleurs and shifters from 15 yrs ago.
> When that one fails, we may go to our junk bin and pull a suntour
> honor from our first bike so that we can keep riding.

The price of any special bolt a customer requests rises for every minute it
takes us to try to find it.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

On 3 Dec 2005 09:32:10 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>I was talking to a friend who owns an LBS and he was telling me that
>people like us are the worse clients in the world. We buy 1 tire, two
>tubes, and maybe a pair of shorts a year,and we complain that they are
>too expensive. We do all our repair work, and some of us are still
>using the same campy record derailleurs and shifters from 15 yrs ago.
>When that one fails, we may go to our junk bin and pull a suntour honor
>from our first bike so that we can keep riding.

I thought about that as I was buying a replacement cable today. Then
I figured, I ought to charge them for marketing. The guy riding his
bike 3-4 weekdays every week? That's me. The guy who makes
passers-by think, "Hey, look at that guy riding a bike," after which
said passers-by may think they can buy their own bike and ride it?
That's me. Who's the guy who can ride city streets, on errands,
commuting, or just down to get a snack, and does it (for the most
part) safely? That's me!

I'm always amazed at the number of expensive, high-dollar bikes at
"event" rides; I see 10-15 on Sunday mornings, but they come out in
hundreds for the events. Where are they the rest of the time?

Pat
Email address works as is.

bfd wrote:
> "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > news:D[email protected]:
> >

> >> Let me get this straight...you're willing to pay the nearly 2x price

> > premium for a 10s cassette and chain, at least $150 for 10s Ergos, and
> > you want to mate it with a $20 rear mech, AND you're too cheap to spring
> > for a shiftmate?
> >
> > OK, then the answer is no.

> That right. The original issue was whether a $200 Sram rear der was better
> than a $15-20 shimano. The answer was no, unless you really had to have the
> lighter weight. Then someone compared a $250 Record to a $20 Shimano and
> asked whether it was better.. I asked about whether there was a $15-20 rear
> der avaiable for Campy ergo shifters.
>
> I agree that 10 cassettes and chains are outrageous. That's why I still use
> 9 speed. I can get Campy 9 cassettes for $40-50 range. Similarly, I use a
> 12x27 ultegra cassette, which I can get for about $40. And no, those other
> $15 Shimano 9 cassettes don't come in 12-27.

You can't get a Shimano 9s cassette for $15 in 12-27, but you can get a
Shimano-compatible cassette in 11-28 in a MO house brand for $5 more.
Not quite the same, but close enough to 12-27 for all practical
purposes. And this is what I meant earlier by total cost of ownership:
the more expensive STI levers are offset by greater and cheaper
availability of drivetrain components. Even though Miche, Wheels
Manufacturing, etc. have Campy-compatible cassettes, those are often
just as expensive, or even more so, than the real deal. IIRC Campy
rear derailleurs are also generally more expensive than Shimano.

And these costs really add up if you have multiple rear
wheels/cassettes, like a corn cob for the flats and wider range for the
hills, which is true in my case.

Now if SRAM made Campy-compatible cassettes, that would be a different
story. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means anti-Campy, but I really wish more
manufacturers would make more Campy-compatible stuff, or better yet,
standardize on cable pull ratios, cassette spacers, etc. so we'd truly
have a competitive marketplace. I don't think SRAM is serving the
needs of the marketplace by introducing yet another cable pull ratio,
like 1:1 for their upcoming road group.

damyth wrote:
> bfd wrote:
> > "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > > news:D[email protected]:

> > > premium for a 10s cassette and chain, at least $150 for 10s Ergos, and
> > > you want to mate it with a $20 rear mech, AND you're too cheap to spring
> > > for a shiftmate?
> > >
> > > OK, then the answer is no.

> > That right. The original issue was whether a $200 Sram rear der was better
> > than a $15-20 shimano. The answer was no, unless you really had to have the
> > lighter weight. Then someone compared a $250 Record to a $20 Shimano and
> > asked whether it was better.. I asked about whether there was a $15-20 rear
> > der avaiable for Campy ergo shifters.
> >
> > I agree that 10 cassettes and chains are outrageous. That's why I still use
> > 9 speed. I can get Campy 9 cassettes for $40-50 range. Similarly, I use a
> > 12x27 ultegra cassette, which I can get for about $40. And no, those other
> > $15 Shimano 9 cassettes don't come in 12-27.
> >

> You can't get a Shimano 9s cassette for $15 in 12-27, but you can get a
> Shimano-compatible cassette in 11-28 in a MO house brand for $5 more.
> Not quite the same, but close enough to 12-27 for all practical
> purposes. And this is what I meant earlier by total cost of ownership:
> the more expensive STI levers are offset by greater and cheaper
> availability of drivetrain components. Even though Miche, Wheels
> Manufacturing, etc. have Campy-compatible cassettes, those are often
> just as expensive, or even more so, than the real deal. IIRC Campy
> rear derailleurs are also generally more expensive than Shimano.
>
> And these costs really add up if you have multiple rear
> wheels/cassettes, like a corn cob for the flats and wider range for the
> hills, which is true in my case.
>
> Now if SRAM made Campy-compatible cassettes, that would be a different
> story. :)

They will in about 18 months. Only so much room is a rear hub at 130mm,
with a flange not too far inboard as to make an unreliable wheel.

bfd wrote:
> "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > news:[email protected]:
> >
> > .
> > >>
> > > Agree, Campy Mirage, Voloce and Centaur will do the job as well as the
> > > $250+ Campy Record. But the question remains, is there a $15-20 or so
> > > rear der being offered that will shift Campy ergo levers WITHOUT using
> > > something like a jtek device?
> > >

> > Yes. Any 8-speed Shimano derailleur/cassette combo (except DA) will work
> > perfectly with 10-speed Ergos, since both systems have the same cable

> pull
> > rates.
> >
> > Sounds like any Sora setup to me.

> OK, it sound like Campy 10 ergo levers will shift 8 speed Shimano cassettes
> using 8 speed rear der.
>
> However, are there any $15-20 rear ders available that will shift Campy ergo
> levers over 10 cassette? After all, who really uses 8 gears anymore? Let's
> face, it 10 speed rear cassette is IN. If you ain't got 10, you're behind!

No there isn't but I doubt the longevity of a $15 rear derailleur.
It'll work just fione when new but with genuine use, it won't Lets try
to remember the OP was talking about SRAM and their tendency today to
become very high end, like their MTB and soon road stuff. THAT rear
derailleur will be every bit of $200...

damyth wrote:

> Wow, is the price premium on 10s really as much as 2x over 9s?
> (Sincere question, just haven't checked lately.) I know I got a 9s
> Shimano HG-50 cassette recently via mail order for around $15. I know
> there was no way I could have gotten a Campy cassette (9 or 10s)
> anywhere near that price. Are Campy 9s cassettes still available?

Of course they are. Mailorder is NOT the 'order of the day'.

> $150 for 10s Ergos is cheap in comparison for Shimano brifters. I
> don't think you can get Shimano 10s brifters for <$200. That's why
> Ergos are so appealing to bottom feeders like bfd. :)
>
> I still think total cost of ownership for Campy 10s, no matter how you
> slice and dice, is probably going to be higher than Shimano 10s. It's
> almost as if Campy is selling the brifters as loss leaders to entice
> people to buy into their more expensive drivetrain.

Check out the prices of DA cogsets...and hubs and pulleys and
everything else.

damyth wrote:

> I still think total cost of ownership for Campy 10s, no matter how you
> slice and dice, is probably going to be higher than Shimano 10s. It's
> almost as if Campy is selling the brifters as loss leaders to entice
> people to buy into their more expensive drivetrain.

AND DA and Ultegra cranks...even the compact, ultegra level one is
$275+ a $45 BB...same price as a Centaur carbon.

> damyth wrote:
>

> > Wow, is the price premium on 10s really as much as 2x over 9s?
> > (Sincere question, just haven't checked lately.) I know I got a 9s
> > Shimano HG-50 cassette recently via mail order for around $15. I know
> > there was no way I could have gotten a Campy cassette (9 or 10s)
> > anywhere near that price. Are Campy 9s cassettes still available?

> Of course they are. Mailorder is NOT the 'order of the day'.

This is true. For example, there are a couple of MO places that sell Campy
Veloce 9 13-28 cassette for $65. I know Nashbar list the same cassette for
$40, but its bascially vaporware as they don't have it and can't provide a
date of it and when they will get it. In contrast, one local LBS has it for
the same $65. Guess where I'm going?

> > $150 for 10s Ergos is cheap in comparison for Shimano brifters. I
> > don't think you can get Shimano 10s brifters for <$200. That's why
> > Ergos are so appealing to bottom feeders like bfd. :)

No, although I'm a "bottom feeder", I do have Record 9 Ergo levers AND I got
the levers because they *fit* my hands better than STI.

bfd wrote:
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > damyth wrote:
> >

> > > Wow, is the price premium on 10s really as much as 2x over 9s?
> > > (Sincere question, just haven't checked lately.) I know I got a 9s
> > > Shimano HG-50 cassette recently via mail order for around $15. I know
> > > there was no way I could have gotten a Campy cassette (9 or 10s)
> > > anywhere near that price. Are Campy 9s cassettes still available?

> > Of course they are. Mailorder is NOT the 'order of the day'.
> > >

> This is true. For example, there are a couple of MO places that sell Campy
> Veloce 9 13-28 cassette for $65. I know Nashbar list the same cassette for
> $40, but its bascially vaporware as they don't have it and can't provide a
> date of it and when they will get it. In contrast, one local LBS has it for
> the same $65. Guess where I'm going?

Mail order to the rescue. Veloce 9 speed cassette is $36. 10 speed is
$60. Shipping is 15 Pounds flat rate. About $26. So you will have to
order more than one cassette to make it pay. And other parts too.
Only problem is they do not have the 9 speed 13-23 cassette I want.

http://www.totalcycling.com/Product...yID/26/v/82b0d5eb-46c2-48f6-bb3d-e0d56a3da4e8

> > > $150 for 10s Ergos is cheap in comparison for Shimano brifters. I
> > > don't think you can get Shimano 10s brifters for <$200. That's why
> > > Ergos are so appealing to bottom feeders like bfd. :)
> > >

> No, although I'm a "bottom feeder", I do have Record 9 Ergo levers AND I got
> the levers because they *fit* my hands better than STI.
>
> > > I still think total cost of ownership for Campy 10s, no matter how you
> > > slice and dice, is probably going to be higher than Shimano 10s. It's
> > > almost as if Campy is selling the brifters as loss leaders to entice
> > > people to buy into their more expensive drivetrain.

> > Check out the prices of DA cogsets...and hubs and pulleys and
> > everything else.

In article <[email protected]>, bfd
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > news:D[email protected]:
> >

> >> Let me get this straight...you're willing to pay the nearly 2x price

> > premium for a 10s cassette and chain, at least $150 for 10s Ergos, and
> > you want to mate it with a $20 rear mech, AND you're too cheap to spring
> > for a shiftmate?
> >
> > OK, then the answer is no.

> That right. The original issue was whether a $200 Sram rear der was better
> than a $15-20 shimano. The answer was no, unless you really had to have the
> lighter weight.

Actually, the answer would be a yes, but not necessarily has to be a
$200 Sram rear der -- any Sram X series for mountain bikes (the 1:1
actuation ratio) is years ahead against any Shimano 1:2 mountain rear
ders.

Serious mountain bikers can kill a Deore or LX rear der in a little as
6 months -- usually the pivots start wearing out so quickly that
creates poor shifting.. If it gets banged up, then problems will start
to manifest and explode. The Sram X.7 and X.9 don't suffer from these
problems and side by side comparison will show Sram rear ders are
superior. That's why, our North Shore riders here mostly ride with
SRAM stuff as soon as their Shimano stuff wore out.

Problems.. Yes.. Sram works only with Sram shifters (the 1:1).

> Then someone compared a $250 Record to a $20 Shimano and
> asked whether it was better.. I asked about whether there was a $15-20 rear
> der avaiable for Campy ergo shifters.

Some people can feel that shifting is crisper with more expensive rear
derailleurs. I can certainly feel a difference shifting a rear Deore
against a rear LX, XT and Ultegra. Both of my shifters on my mountain
and road bikes are XT/Ultegra quality.

But I don't usually run a XT on my mountain bike anymore, knowing that
I usually kill it within a year. A Deore rear is more cost effective
in my case. If I kill it, then I've got spares from eBay..

In article <[email protected]>,
damyth <[email protected]> wrote:

> standardize on cable pull ratios, cassette spacers, etc. so we'd truly
> have a competitive marketplace. I don't think SRAM is serving the
> needs of the marketplace by introducing yet another cable pull ratio,
> like 1:1 for their upcoming road group.

Actually, I would prefer them to stick it with 1:1.. Their design is
superior to Shimano in terms of long term durability under hard use..

Problem with Shimano is that, they haven't enhanced their current rear
der design for a while -- rapid rise or fancy looks don't even count..
Their weaknesses are explained here..

http://www.makingiteasier.org/reviews/2005/07/12/shimano_deore_lx_rear_d
erailleur/

There's also a review on the Deore and Deore XT.

There's also talk about Shimano rear der exploding into bits and
pieces.. Usually the pins will come loose under hard use. I've seen 2
Ultegras exploded and 1 LX (mine) did too..

That's why, I'm very excited to see what SRAM's 1:1 road system has to
offer.

David wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> damyth <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > standardize on cable pull ratios, cassette spacers, etc. so we'd truly
> > have a competitive marketplace. I don't think SRAM is serving the
> > needs of the marketplace by introducing yet another cable pull ratio,
> > like 1:1 for their upcoming road group.

> Actually, I would prefer them to stick it with 1:1.. Their design is
> superior to Shimano in terms of long term durability under hard use..
>
> Problem with Shimano is that, they haven't enhanced their current rear
> der design for a while -- rapid rise or fancy looks don't even count..
> Their weaknesses are explained here..
>
> http://www.makingiteasier.org/reviews/2005/07/12/shimano_deore_lx_rear_d
> erailleur/
>
> There's also a review on the Deore and Deore XT.

That review you cite lacks any credibility. The guy destroyed a
derailler in 3 days? Please. If Shimano were that bad they'd servicing
warranties exclusively and have no additional production capacity to
sell new ones. He "consoled others" with the same issue? He has to
rely on hearsay to add "credibility" to his review?

Did he even bother to clean the derailleur to see if it indeed could be
restored to its former glory? Here's a quote from the Shimano Service
instructions:
"- If gear shifting operations do not feel smooth, wash the derailleur
and lubricate all moving parts."

> There's also talk about Shimano rear der exploding into bits and
> pieces.. Usually the pins will come loose under hard use. I've seen 2
> Ultegras exploded and 1 LX (mine) did too..
>
> That's why, I'm very excited to see what SRAM's 1:1 road system has to
> offer.

It's certainly possible that SRAM may make better derailleurs, and 1:1
may indeed be superior. But to imply that a Shimano derailleur
explodes (and consequently SRAM has to be better) is a logical fallacy.
If your rear derailleur explodes take it back to any bike shop and
have them warranty it. Shimano (any manufacturer, for that matter)
will come around when they experience a significant number of product
returns.

Jasper Janssen wrote:
> On 3 Dec 2005 10:44:17 -0800, "damyth" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > He cited as evidence that
> >there was no way the "average" person in China (which is probably now
> >the primary exporter of bikes, and where there still are more bikes
> >than cars, even now) would have paid been able to afford $400 for a new
> >bike. In other words, why the instantaneous mark-up once they get
> >shipped to these shores?

> No markup. They simply don't ride these bikes. Not walmart bikes either.
> They ride single-speed bikes with a coaster brake. Without basic bottle
> generator lights, even. There's an rbm poster living in China who
> regularly reports on her encounters with local bike culture.

I'm also a lurker here ... :)

I've yet to see coaster brakes over here. The high end of the normal
market over here ($15-$25 and up) will get you relatively normal
looking hand brakes (which may or may not work). Otherwise they have a
lever on the frame that, like the brake on a wheelchair, simply pushes
a wedge into the tire. More a parking brake than a road brake, though
it is frequently used as a road brake. Most common form of brakes are
the feet.

The first shop in Shijiazhuang where I took my secondhand ugly bike to
be rehabbed and rebuilt told me that it wasn't really necessary for
them to put new brake pads on the front wheel since it wasn't like I
was going to need _two_ brakes. (The brake pads were sufficiently worn
down that they barely stopped the wheel when it was spun up by hand.)

The high end of the high end goes up pretty high. There are quite a
few people in my local riding club (which, except for me and two or
three others are all Chinese nationals) with $1000+ bikes and one guy
with a $5000 bike. Last week the $2500 Bianchi that's been in the shop
since June finally sold, at the same time the person who got it decided
to swap out the original wheelset for the most expensive Shimano wheels
in the shop (which, if I recall correctly were around $250 per).

The new hot toy in the bike club is a 3-speed city bike with an
internal gear hub. It's about $60. Given that I have a Sturmey Archer
from the 1960s with this set up I'm relatively unimpressed, but greatly
amused to see the clipless crowd oohing and ahhing over it. When it
first showed up in the shop there was great astonishment that it was
possible to have a city-bike with multiple gears, that it was possible
to have multiple gears without external derailleurs, and that you could
get something that shifted smoothly for such an incredibly low price.
(I've test driven a $25 road bike and understand this last sentiment
completely.)

-M

> Jasper Janssen wrote:
> > On 3 Dec 2005 10:44:17 -0800, "damyth" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > He cited as evidence that
> > >there was no way the "average" person in China (which is probably now
> > >the primary exporter of bikes, and where there still are more bikes
> > >than cars, even now) would have paid been able to afford $400 for a new
> > >bike. In other words, why the instantaneous mark-up once they get
> > >shipped to these shores?

> > No markup. They simply don't ride these bikes. Not walmart bikes either.
> > They ride single-speed bikes with a coaster brake. Without basic bottle
> > generator lights, even. There's an rbm poster living in China who
> > regularly reports on her encounters with local bike culture.

> I'm also a lurker here ... :)

<snip>

Hopefully, you'll leave the shadows and lurk less; your post was very
much enjoyed!

Luke

On 6 Dec 2005 09:34:19 -0800, "damyth" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Did he even bother to clean the derailleur to see if it indeed could be
>restored to its former glory? Here's a quote from the Shimano Service
>instructions:
>"- If gear shifting operations do not feel smooth, wash the derailleur
>and lubricate all moving parts."

Cleaning it isn't going to return a pivot axle to its rightful place,
though.

Jasper

> On 6 Dec 2005 09:34:19 -0800, "damyth" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Did he even bother to clean the derailleur to see if it indeed could be
> >restored to its former glory? Here's a quote from the Shimano Service
> >instructions:
> >"- If gear shifting operations do not feel smooth, wash the derailleur
> >and lubricate all moving parts."

What he is talking about is the infamous pivots wearing down. If you
grab the cage of your own rear der right now and wiggle it side to
side, there's play already. When the play is too excessive, the
pivots are worn out and there's nothing you or he can do other than
replace the rear der.. Cleaning and lubing will not restore the worn
pivots to its former glory. If you fail to replace the rear der soon
enough, the whole rear will disintegrate, taking the rear wheel with
you. If you have a hand built wheel, the repair can be done locally
and be financially manageable. If it's a Crossmax or a Ksyrium wheel,
however, you can be pretty much SOL.

David wrote:
> > On 6 Dec 2005 09:34:19 -0800, "damyth" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Did he even bother to clean the derailleur to see if it indeed could be
> > >restored to its former glory? Here's a quote from the Shimano Service
> > >instructions:
> > >"- If gear shifting operations do not feel smooth, wash the derailleur
> > >and lubricate all moving parts."

> What he is talking about is the infamous pivots wearing down. If you
> grab the cage of your own rear der right now and wiggle it side to
> side, there's play already. When the play is too excessive, the
> pivots are worn out and there's nothing you or he can do other than
> replace the rear der.. Cleaning and lubing will not restore the worn
> pivots to its former glory. If you fail to replace the rear der soon
> enough, the whole rear will disintegrate, taking the rear wheel with
> you. If you have a hand built wheel, the repair can be done locally
> and be financially manageable. If it's a Crossmax or a Ksyrium wheel,
> however, you can be pretty much SOL.

Here are a few direct quotes from the original review:

On the second day....
"The (Shimano LX) derailleur remained tight and free of any sort of
significant lateral play."
but he complained of missing shifts.

On the third day....
"When I dismounted and checked the part, I noticed that one of the pins
had started to make it's way out of the derailleur body."
Sounds like a warranty issue to me.

On some other days....
"I've seen Shimano LX rear derailleurs fail on the first run down the
mountain (and not just at Whistler): the body of one was snapped in
half; the pins on another had worked themselves free and caused the
derailleur to fail."
Is this firsthand experience with his own deraillers or hearsay? Even
if true, these are *still* warranty issues.

Last I heard Shimano warranties their stuff for two years. Even if you
buy a new derailler every two years at say $40 a pop, 10-12 years would
have elapsed for the cost to equal the $200 SRAM derailler, and that's
not even taking into account the time value of money.

And for what's it's worth, I ride at least 4 days a week (approx. 120
m/wk. minimum) on the same bike, no play or pins out of place on mine,
on a derailler that's now 10 yrs old. But I know enough to not claim
that should be representative of everyone's experience.

In article <[email protected]>,
damyth <[email protected]> wrote:

> Last I heard Shimano warranties their stuff for two years. Even if you
> buy a new derailler every two years at say $40 a pop, 10-12 years would
> have elapsed for the cost to equal the $200 SRAM derailler, and that's
> not even taking into account the time value of money.
>
> And for what's it's worth, I ride at least 4 days a week (approx. 120
> m/wk. minimum) on the same bike, no play or pins out of place on mine,
> on a derailler that's now 10 yrs old. But I know enough to not claim
> that should be representative of everyone's experience.

The reviewer seems to go through derailleurs like socks! I've several
lines of Shimano derailleurs are installed (Deore, Ultegra, 105, and
Tiagara); they've logged tens of thousand of miles between them and are
still going strong. This the first I've heard of their tendency to
spontaneously deconstruct after 3 days use!

Mind you, the reviewer is subjecting his equipment to some challenging
MTB runs, not the less jarring - and destructive! - roadways my setups
must tolerate.

Luke