Why does Armstrong provoke such strong pro/anti feelings ?

Originally posted by alicem
Okies, whatever you want but you don't seem to have clinked that glass, spark or anything.......

Firstly, I do agree persey (sp) with the feminist ideal as most of us typing here be they male, male, male ohh, and a few females can say that.

However, in the cycling foum let me say this regarding your stance on feminism. I trust that includes riding? ....Lets group together and sponsor at least 3 pro fem teams to ride the Giro let alone the TDF.....hence my comments. It would not be as popular if a bunch of women were put in with the likes of the great male personalities in cycling today.....as the females would just be dropping off like no words able to even articulate so won't speculate. (Lim; don't you dare tell me which female won the most recent road race let alone compare times; skill of the road or any tactics involved)...LOL...j/kidding with you....

No, on the scale you are talking of I don't agree with being so feminist in this arena as we are speaking of 'male pro cycling' on this site and no woman unless supernaturally challenged can contend. B.T.W. I do watch and love/ride m.bikes and a woman has finally entered the G.P yet cannot keep up with the Rossi's/Biaggi's of that empire no matter what and to that final emotional let alone financial cost... (SHOCK HORROR)

Look back and read my points and doubts on how men in cycling do what they do in such times; with such apparant skill and force and my reserved opinion of the subject especially being a L.A/Chechu supporter but knowing that something is going on that will never be found. It takes a lot for me to even type that once, let alone twice for your benefit.

I have read your past messages and others you have posted and am sure you will try to jump on the wagon and inspect every word or attemp to criticise anything I say, so that is fine. I never claimed to be one for looking and pasting U.C.I regulations et al.....not my style. Sometimes forums like this are so serious they are like walking through the thickest of mud hence my silly comments re Boogerd's teeth to lighten a dreary atmosphere!!!!!

The opposite however goes for many of my opinions and if you read back you will see me finally opening my mouth despite trying not to due to not being able to put up with what I saw as bull from another postie...or should I say 'poster' (just in case!) It has been known widley that I am passionate yet will keep my mouth shut to a degree and then the passion bursts. Be it from a feeling of indignity or stupid hilarity like the Boogerd grin

:D Not so unlike yourself may I reiterate.

As for me thinking and saying regarding you being a female....you were lieing then re your thread that you mailed me about? Hummm....whatever, whichever flows the best....

My 'kind words' still stand re your articulation and the rest of my posts due to being tri lingual so appreciate a coherent post when I see one hence feeling frustrated if I havn't conveyed what I meant to correctly.

Just don't go off on one without really thinking that we all know the recent facts/situations of riders/placings/general European or U.S standings and I don't think there is a forum of trying to place the women and men together in cycling as it So does not work even on an amature footing.

Take care....Micky B grin up and coming......

Alice x :D

It's funny that you mention women's cycling - I thought that the
womens road race in Hamilton last year was one of the best races
I saw all year.

I suppose to be more correct, I should have said 52% of the population can't always be right and the other 48% can't always be wrong!

What I had intended to say was that good soundly constructed arguments are independent of the gender of the arguer and gender considerations are im-material to the appreciation of them.

I don't see how that is allowing a free pass to anybody?

Kind regards,

I see someone now who rides like it's not a struggle.
I see him now being able to outclimb the greatest climbers.
I see him now being able to out TT, the great TT'ists.
I see him now and he has changed.
And I question how he managed to change. [/B][/QUOTE]

And I question how you and others simply cannot believe that it's possible for an athlete to get better at his sport...learn more, train harder, reach deeper, ride harder, work with his teammates, and win. Then if I cannot ride any better next year than I'm currently riding, I might as well give up now and spare myself the effort!

That's exactly what it sounds like you are writing!

Oh, you've got to be kidding me!!! Not your response Fit2btide but just that fact that this thread has been drug back up to the surface. I thought it was long since dead! I'm sure Limerick man will be just delighted to see this "old chestnut" resurrected! LOL!

What..............

ah, I couldn't be bothered.
Look at pages 1-19, you'll get the gist.

Originally posted by limerickman
What..............

ah, I couldn't be bothered.
Look at pages 1-19, you'll get the gist.

I was just giving you a bit of a hard time Limerickman. I figured that you were probably happy to have seen this thread go away.

limerickman said:
For the first time in all my years of closely following professional cycling here in Europe, I cannot recall any Yellow Jersey holder
incurring such diametrically opposed views from cycling fans around the world, as Lance Armstrong.
Fans appear to be either very pro-Armstrong or very anti-Armstrong.

Can any suggest why this is so ?
Can anyone suggest why other Yellow Jersey holders never generated the same level of heated debate as Lance Armstrong ?

its still the case 6 years later, it is probably even worse now

Oh no..... Not this again....

Well, here's that "Armstrong" thread you were talking about opening Limerick. :D