Why does Armstrong provoke such strong pro/anti feelings ?

posted by davek
You know him well?

About as well as you know him. My opinion is based on print and tv interviews. From those interviews, I have formed the opinion that the man is a dullard and is not forthright about many issues (see later in my post). That is my opinion. Your mileage may vary. But frankly I don’t look at other people’s odometers. I look at mine.

There is a small minority who do dislike Lance simply because he is American - sad but true. It is also true that some people claim that it is "anti American" to dislike Lance, but they are also in a small minority.

Fine, but that small minority happens to be posting on this site. And that was my response to them. There also happens to be many who like Lance simply because he is American which is just as silly for disliking him for being American.

If it's the "stereotypical athlete" thing to do then this is no more reason to hate Lance than it is to hate any number of other professional athletes.

True. I also dislike many other athletes. Doesn’t mean I should dislike LA any less. I don’t use other athletes as the barometer for whether I like someone.

You seem a little confused about why Lance is as successful as he is - is it because of genetic make-up or is it because of drugs? You seem to want to have it both ways - and the one way you won't allow to be true is the one that he claims, that his success is down to hard work.

A) I’m not confused about anything.
B)No where in my original post did I allege that LA’s success was due to drugs. Nowhere. Go back and read my post again if you have to (you should have done this first before you decided to respond to it). I am the first to say that even if Lance and the entire peleton were “clean” that Lance would still be the champion racer he is today.
C) Want it both ways? What the hell? Success in sports as in life is due to a multitude of factors, not just one. Are you saying I have to pick one reason because youtell me to? You are oversimplifying the argument by saying that there can only be one reason for succes. It is completely illogical and simpleminded. And wrong.
D) Of course LA’s succes is due in part to hard work. That goes without saying. That does not diminish the fact that his genetic makeup puts him in the elite range of athletes. This is nothing to be embarassed about so why did he go out of his way to deny it? He made the denial about it being a factor and I was merely pointing out that it is a factor. One of many factors, but still a huge factor.
E) I like to debate people’s opinions and exchange facts but I can not stand responding to people misreading my posts. Nor do I enjoy pointing out egregious errors in logic, which your paragraph above abounds in. And I also do not like people misconstruing what I write and “putting words in my mouth”. For future reference, if you respond to my posts again, read my post first, don’t misconstrue what I write, and work out your logic before hand. Thanks.

I'd say it was up to the UCI to do more to campaign against drug use…but I don't know that Lance really would able to achieve anything significant by himself.

I agree that the UCI should be doing something. There could be some negative ramifications for LA if he came forward but a mark of a strong character is when someone comes forward to do the right thing even if it is a hardship. Its called integrity. And believe me, if Lance started to talk, people would listen.

What bothers me about LA is not so much that he isn’t actively out there trying to solve the problem but the fact that he remains silent on the issue and even tries to mislead people about what is going on. When he is asked about drugs in interviews he always spews the same garbage about how “cycling is the most tested sport” and its “no worse than other sports” etc. What kind of answer is that? Its rubbish. He is complicit in the conspiracy of silence surrounding the sport. They refuse to address the problem because they are afraid of tarnishing the image of the sport and the impact this will have on their bank accounts. So the problem just continues. Why can’t he just come out and talk honestly about the subject?

but what Lance actually said in public was that Bassons was "unprofessional".

Is that it? That’s his defense? If someone was slinging mud at me I would be calling them a liar, suing them for defamation/libel, screaming from the top of my lungs “I HAVE NEVER USED PERFORMANCE ENHANCING DRUGS IN MY ENTIRE LIFE AND I NEVER WILL!” and proferring up my blood and urine for the entire world to see. Calling someone unprofessional is not much of a denial is it?

If Bassons were really interested in campaigning against drug cheats then there are more effective, more professional ways he could go about it. It seems that his real agenda is to fling as much mud as possible and hope that some of it sticks.

Such as? I agree that making allegations without proof is not a good thing. But when the entire sport is engaged in a cover up, sometimes a little mudslinging is required. Also, keep in mind that cyclists and doctors on the tour know quite a bit about the other cyclists. Everyone knows who is doping. Cyclists talk, doctors talk to other doctors and even exchange drugs and advice so cyclists tend to know who is doping and who isn’t. It could very well be that Bassons knows something we don’t know. Or maybe not. And how is he supposed to obtain “proof” when there are no tests that can prove anything?

Simply because the drug testing bodies are a joke does not mean that he does use them.

a)Well, no ****. Next you’ll tell me that the sky is blue and there is no Santa Claus. You’re just stating the obvious.
b) Pointing out the inverse of my original argument does not negate the validity of my argument.
c) The only reason I made that argument was because many posters were saying that (paraphrasing) “Lance must be clean because he keeps passing all the drug tests” etc. My point was that this was not a valid argument because the tests do not detect all drugs. I thought everyone knew this but apparently not. Which is why I mentioned it. I like to share.

I'm not saying that I'm 100% certain that he is clean - we only have his word for it and no hard evidence either way.

I agree. I have no evidence either. And do we even have his “word”? The only thing I have to go on is what he says or more importantly, what he does not say. When asked about drugs, he plays coy and makes odd statements with suspicious wording. I can’t help but read between the lines. I have no hard evidence (no one does) so I am left to consider the following:

1) I have yet to read an interview where he explicitly denies taking PH drugs. Seriously, if someone can find an interview where he does, I will gladly read it and take this into account. And saying things like “I will never fail a drug test” is not the same as denying the use of PHD.
2) Has admitted seeing Dr. Michelle Ferrari who was investigated for providing PHD to athletes.
3)Intimidation tactics with Bassons as noted in my original post.
4)Does not address the extent of the drug problem in an open and honest manner. Contributes to the “conspiracy of silence” in the sport.

None of the above constitutes “proof”. Its just stuff I like to ponder when I lie awake at night.

If doping is as widespread throughout the peloton as we are led to believe then it is hard to see how any clean athlete can compete at the very highest level as Lance does.

Well yeah. I would think it would be hard for a clean athlete to compete against doped athletes. I’m not sure what your point is, but can’t argue with that.

But since you claim he is so genetically gifted, maybe he doesn't need to cheat?

Sigh. See my previous point. As stated, there are many factors involved in success in cycling. All the members of the peleton are genetically gifted, not just Lance. The drugs give riders an edge over an already elite group of athletes.

Okay, I’m done now.

Originally posted by Saucy
1) I have yet to read an interview where he explicitly denies taking PH drugs.

http://www.lancearmstrong.com/99tdfwords.html

It's a Lance Armstrong fan site, but I'm assuming it's an accurate transcript.

Admittedly, some of his comments are disingenuous to say the least, and the bit about how no-one had heard of drugs before 1993 is just... odd.

Originally posted by Saucy
About as well as you know him.

There you go - I don't claim to know him at all. I don't consider TV and press interviews a sound basis for forming an opinion about a person's character. But like you say, your mileage may vary. If that's a reason for you to dislike Lance Armstrong, I can't argue with that.

B)No where in my original post did I allege that LA’s success was due to drugs. Nowhere. Go back and read my post again if you have to (you should have done this first before you decided to respond to it).

Gosh. That's patronising.

Reason #10 in your original post: if you're not insinuating that Lance Armstrong uses performance enhancing drugs, then I'm baffled as to what this can possibly mean.

You are oversimplifying the argument by saying that there can only be one reason for succes. It is completely illogical and simpleminded. And wrong.

It's the drug accusers that say there's only one reason for his success.

If you allow that there are other reasons for his success then it somewhat deflates the case for him using performance enhancing drugs. Not that there is a case.

That does not diminish the fact that his genetic makeup puts him in the elite range of athletes. This is nothing to be embarassed about so why did he go out of his way to deny it?

I don't know. Maybe he thinks that the genetics factor is greatly exaggerated. Maybe he wants more recognition for the fact that he works so damn hard and is not some genetic freak that could win bike races on a diet of pies and cream cakes.

He is complicit in the conspiracy of silence surrounding the sport ... Why can’t he just come out and talk honestly about the subject?

Why does he have to constantly defend himself against groundless accusations?

Also, keep in mind that cyclists and doctors on the tour know quite a bit about the other cyclists.

Then why can no-one come up with any proof of drug-taking?

If Bassons has specific information, he should pass it on to the authorities. All the accusations he has made have been pretty vague, which suggests that he doesn't have any specific information, just the same old innuendo and speculation.

c) The only reason I made that argument was because many posters were saying that (paraphrasing) “Lance must be clean because he keeps passing all the drug tests” etc. My point was that this was not a valid argument because the tests do not detect all drugs. I thought everyone knew this but apparently not. Which is why I mentioned it. I like to share.

Lots of cyclists have tested positive for drug use and Lance Armstrong is not one of them. I presume he takes the same tests as everyone else, and probably more often than most other cyclists.

So while passing the drugs tests may not be entirely conclusive, it's not fair to say that the argument is invalid.

None of the above constitutes “proof”. Its just stuff I like to ponder when I lie awake at night.

This is the trouble with the whole drugs argument - it starts off as just something you ponder as you lie awake at night but then it spills over into a public discussion and before you know it you have people making accusations left, right and centre...

At no point in the process does anyone even think to bring any facts into the equation.

Originally posted by davek
[B

This is the trouble with the whole drugs argument - it starts off as just something you ponder as you lie awake at night but then it spills over into a public discussion and before you know it you have people making accusations left, right and centre...

DaveK : do believe Armstrong is clean ?

FWIW - I beleive that Armstrong is just as clean as any of the top riders in the Peleton. How's that? If he's using some type of performance enhancer, then I'd say that all of the other guys that are riding within fractions of a second of him must be using it (or them) too.

In other words, I believe that the edge that Lance currently has over the rest of the Peleton is a product of harder work and greater determination. Not because he has access to or is using more or better drugs than anyone else.

Any substances that any rider may or may not be using are readily available to ALL of the riders in the Peleton. It's silly to think that one rider is clean and another isn't when in fact the two are riding within hunderdths of a second of one another. Especially when there's no evidence to suggest that either rider is using illegal substances.

My point is that while it might be naive to think that the entire peleton is clean, it's just as naive to think that "my guy is clean and your guy isn't and that's the only reason your guy is beating my guy". That's just plain silly!!! Screw all of this stuff about one guy's "pedigree" is better than another guy's "pedigree". That's just BS!!! Pedigree shmedigree!!! What a crock!!! How about results???

I realise that no one asked me and I was trying to avoid this thread. But the question was asked and I wanted to voice my opinion.

Originally posted by limerickman
DaveK : do believe Armstrong is clean ?

He says so and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

My own opinion is summed by pretty nicely by everything meehs just said.

Originally posted by meehs
FWIW - I beleive that Armstrong is just as clean as any of the top riders in the Peleton. How's that? If he's using some type of performance enhancer, then I'd say that all of the other guys that are riding within fractions of a second of him must be using it (or them) too.

In other words, I believe that the edge that Lance currently has over the rest of the Peleton is a product of harder work and greater determination. Not because he has access to or is using more or better drugs than anyone else.

Any substances that any rider may or may not be using are readily available to ALL of the riders in the Peleton. It's silly to think that one rider is clean and another isn't when in fact the two are riding within hunderdths of a second of one another. Especially when there's no evidence to suggest that either rider is using illegal substances.

My point is that while it might be naive to think that the entire peleton is clean, it's just as naive to think that "my guy is clean and your guy isn't and that's the only reason your guy is beating my guy". That's just plain silly!!! Screw all of this stuff about one guy's "pedigree" is better than another guy's "pedigree". That's just BS!!! Pedigree shmedigree!!! What a crock!!! How about results???

I realise that no one asked me and I was trying to avoid this thread. But the question was asked and I wanted to voice my opinion.

Meehs : This whole discussion about drugs is based on supposition.
None of us can be sure if any of the cyclists we see are clean,
because we haven't got 24 hour access to their every single move.

Having said that, fans are perfectly entitled to weigh up the career of every cyclist.

Fans are free to look at each cycists performances, look at each cyclist palmares, look at each cyclists interviews : and weigh this
information to form a view as to whether or not, in their opinion,
a particular cyclist is using performance enhancing drugs.

Having said that, fans are perfectly entitled to weigh up the career of every cyclist.

Fans are free to look at each cycists performances, look at each cyclist palmares, look at each cyclists interviews : and weigh this

I don't disagree with anything you're saying here Limerick. However, nothing you said contradicts what I was saying in my previous post. I agree with you 100% that everyone is entitled to their opinion. I was just expressing my own.

By the way Limerick? I thought that I had successfully disentangled myslef from this thread and now I've been sucked back in. I was doing really good for a while there!

By the way Limerick? I thought that I had successfully disentangled myslef from this thread and now I've been sucked back in. I was doing really good for a while there!

Sorry for re-entangling you !

Originally posted by davek
He says so and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

My own opinion is summed by pretty nicely by everything meehs just said.

I was just curious about your opinion on this subject.

FWIW, I think there is room between not doping and not breaking UCI's rules...where "clean" means not testing positive for banned substances, not refraining from using substances that haven't yet been banned or substances for which there is no test. It's the gap between the spirit and the letter of the rules. The exploitation of this gap is the fault of everyone concerned, the UCI, the riders, the directors and soigneurs, the sponsors...you name it.

Originally posted by jstraw
FWIW, I think there is room between not doping and not breaking UCI's rules...where "clean" means not testing positive for banned substances, not refraining from using substances that haven't yet been banned or substances for which there is no test. It's the gap between the spirit and the letter of the rules. The exploitation of this gap is the fault of everyone concerned, the UCI, the riders, the directors and soigneurs, the sponsors...you name it.

I think that this point has been the best contribution to the
discussion so far.
I think that without definitve evidence that it is correct to say that
people exploit the gap between what are the rules and and the spirit of the rules.
A very good point !

I think that this point has been the best contribution to the
discussion so far.
I think that without definitve evidence that it is correct to say that
people exploit the gap between what are the rules and and the spirit of the rules.
A very good point !

I was thinking the same thing. Very good point!

Originally posted by jstraw

Urgh, I'm back, not for someone but to post on an actually valid coherent site when no misquoting/s&*te is being spilt etc....

I hate to say this but after being there day in day out around the whole TDF and seeing those guys whip those mountains to oblivion and often getting to see them twice in the same day thanks to a motorbike so could wizz round and by pass other roads that were closed etc.... (I was more shattered than those riders due to long hours and massive hikes and then getting back to base to continue round for the next stage!) Sadly I do believe that ALL are doping, and yes that includes L.A. I still cannot believe the uproar comming from the base of L'Alpe D'Uez to us all near the summit as he attacked and on a very steep incline passed by so fast that my own camera couldn't get a proper shot of him, not even his back was in focus! Many of my pics have been published so it wasn't for lack of photography skill.....but, my God, even the weakest whipped up those tumultous climbs at speeds one could never dream of even sprinting at even on a flat. If no one in that peleton are/were doping then GOOD FOR THEM and it makes me admire them all even more but....woah...reality check...t.v does not convey their actual speeds.

I also remember an articule in The Times years ago re an unnamed Postal rider who apparantly has 'evidence' on the drug scope but has yet to come to court alongside the doctor who wants to spit it. It seems to be more of a threat right now, but we all know there is no smoke without fire. Yes, I'm a L.A supporter and God Forbid he was found to be doping as I would anyone in all sports I love and follow closely take back every word of praise I have ever given to him or ANY other rider if I knew for certain he had been illegally doping.

As a matter of fact, since we are spinning off now....what about Virenque? Why was he not stipped of ALL his jerseys despite claiming to be drug free yet as we know since the Festina Affair he was more than guilty. Where does the U.C.I stand on that? How can one applaud him as he carried yet another Polka jersey knowing full well he categorically did not earn it?

Alice :(

Originally posted by alicem
Urgh, I'm back, not for someone but to post on an actually valid coherent site when no misquoting/s&*te is being spilt etc....

I hate to say this but after being there day in day out around the whole TDF and seeing those guys whip those mountains to oblivion and often getting to see them twice in the same day thanks to a motorbike so could wizz round and by pass other roads that were closed etc.... (I was more shattered than those riders due to long hours and massive hikes and then getting back to base to continue round for the next stage!) Sadly I do believe that ALL are doping, and yes that includes L.A. I still cannot believe the uproar comming from the base of L'Alpe D'Uez to us all near the summit as he attacked and on a very steep incline passed by so fast that my own camera couldn't get a proper shot of him, not even his back was in focus! Many of my pics have been published so it wasn't for lack of photography skill.....but, my God, even the weakest whipped up those tumultous climbs at speeds one could never dream of even sprinting at even on a flat. If no one in that peleton are/were doping then GOOD FOR THEM and it makes me admire them all even more but....woah...reality check...t.v does not convey their actual speeds.

I also remember an articule in The Times years ago re an unnamed Postal rider who apparantly has 'evidence' on the drug scope but has yet to come to court alongside the doctor who wants to spit it. It seems to be more of a threat right now, but we all know there is no smoke without fire. Yes, I'm a L.A supporter and God Forbid he was found to be doping as I would anyone in all sports I love and follow closely take back every word of praise I have ever given to him or ANY other rider if I knew for certain he had been illegally doping.

As a matter of fact, since we are spinning off now....what about Virenque? Why was he not stipped of ALL his jerseys despite claiming to be drug free yet as we know since the Festina Affair he was more than guilty. Where does the U.C.I stand on that? How can one applaud him as he carried yet another Polka jersey knowing full well he categorically did not earn it?

illegally doping

illegally or not....doping in one way or another that the U.C.I for e.g havn't found a consistent test for.....

My view is that the Festina riders were allowed to return to cycling far too easily.
Thus, this is why I attack the UCI.

Cycling needs to adopt the rules applied in rowing - if they're caught they get banned for life.

Virenque's winning 6 KOM jerseys means nothing, in my opinion.

A solution is at hand.

Make performance enhancing drugs compulsory and then we would all know who the real champions are!

Kind regards,

My view is that the Festina riders were allowed to return to cycling far too easily.
Thus, this is why I attack the UCI.

Cycling needs to adopt the rules applied in rowing - if they're caught they get banned for life.

Virenque's winning 6 KOM jerseys means nothing, in my opinion.

================

O.K....making headway....I will have a black velvet (Guiness and V.Cliquot to 'foreigners' amongst us!)) to toast that mutual belief! We have finally agreed on something?!!! ~laughing.....ohhhhh, that sip has gone straight to my head!~

Alice ;)

================

O.K....making headway....I will have a black velvet (Guiness and V.Cliquot to 'foreigners' amongst us!)) to toast that mutual belief! We have finally agreed on something?!!! ~laughing.....ohhhhh, that sip has gone straight to my head!~

Alice ;)

LOL !
Have one for me !!