Why does Campy still use Square BB interface

MGSuarez

Feb 20, 2003
As stated above. Do they use a diff. square system. Or are Ocatlink and ISIS much stiffer?? Is the Campy carbon record carnkset even worth it since it is square? Seems to me they are a little dated as far as design? Or is it??

square works, why change it? splined has had many problems and non-standard designs. i've heard many complaints about it.

Ya square works, I am sure a triangle will work also. But, it doesnt mean its a good idea. I haven't really heard anything bad about splined designs. ISIS followed Shimano. So it must have its advantages. Just That I have never seen any tests that document this. ?? Any other opinions?? I am just curious if spined is really the way to go. Why wouldnt Campy change? Is it that there design is just as stiff/better or they dont want to follow??

i think that the future on bb axes is the new desing of the XTR.large diametre with a big hole inside the axe.Large diametre make it stiff,the hole make it lighter.
it now the time for the other industries to follow.
my personal opinion is that Europeans like more classical ideas and don't change something that is working well for such years.I like these ideas too.But Japanese like the money and marketing of the US & Australia want every 2 or 3 years new ideas just to sell,sell,sell.
look hybrids,fitness bikes etc.Good for a ride or tourism.
Europe dies on a real racing classical steel bike full Campagnolo.(hear the sound of rear cogs when stop pedaling.you bet my friends give me everything to be on the head just to hear my veloce....)

the good thing about Campy is that you can buy new cranks and not have to change BB, the design is the same. Every time you buy a new crank in the Shimano line, you need a different type of bottom bracket. I agree that maybe Campy could change to something better, but I think they would not change just for the sake of it because splined was the latest and coolest thing.