Why does every one hate Greg Lemond?

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by Cycler6n, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Cycler6n

Cycler6n New Member

I've noticed this, why is it?

Tags:

2. wolfix

wolfix New Member

I am probably the forum's in house anti-Lemond poster. I don't hate Lemond. First of all , on the bike Lemond was a champion and has done marvelous things for American cycling.
    Off the bike is where we have problems with Lemond. Without getting into personal issues, I think the general perception of him is being a "whiner." During interviews he has always been out spoken of the Hinault disloyalty and how he would have won more TDF's if " blah, blah, blah."
    And his participation in the anti doping thing going on now is percieved to be "bitter apples." He is attacking the current American riders for their doping, yet he never spoke up when he was riding with dopers. [Fignon being the most obvious]
    The insurance thing when Lemond's wife and that Andreu wife has shown that Kathy Lemond has an obsession with Lance Armstrong. Numerous phone calls to each other and numerous calls to the defendent's lawyer placed them in a situation where they did not belong.
    I honestly believe he has personal issues. Too bad, because he could have placed himself in history as America's most loved cyclist.

3. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

It's because all the Armstrong chamois sniffers are upset that Lemond pointed out that Armstrong was obviously doping. These guys feel the need to run down anyone who publicly criticizes Armstrong, whether it's Lemond, Andreau, Steffan, Swart, O'Reilly, Landis, Horner, etc.

While Lemond has done the best he can to point out the doping problem and get something done about it, Armstrong still maintains that there is not a doping program because if there were then it would lead to obvious questions about himself.

4. wolfix

wolfix New Member

You're new to cycling. There was dislike of Lemond before Armstrong came along. You need to understand that cycling was happening long before you became obsessed with Armstrong.

5. Cycler6n

Cycler6n New Member

First off, Lemond could have won more tdfs. He got shot, recovered came back, and won another tour, the years he was resting, he could have been winning, your not looking at how important the tdf is, its the biggest sporting event in the world. I can see why he's upset over that, but rarely hear him talk about that.
    when he was riding, he couldn't freak out about dopers, he was too busy mopping up the competition, riding too win, he was too concentrated, he can't stop everything and start crying.
    I've never heard of Kathy Lemond and armstrong talking, I'll have to look that up.
    And, how could he have been the most oved, by shuting up and sitting in a corner and letting doping idiots ruin the sport of cycling?

6. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

You are going to roll out that old saw again? Everyone who isn't seventy years old like you is a young whippersnapper who doesn't know anything about cycling? Shouldn't you be yelling at some kids to get off your lawn?

I'm sure it's just pure coincidence that all the Lemond haters are Armstrong fanboys like you.

7. wolfix

wolfix New Member

I was pointing out the love/hate relationship with American cycling fans started long before Armstrong was even in the news. And I am not a Lemond hater, but a person who simply does not like him personally. The Lance era brought many into cycling that consider the doping news of today to be something particular to this period of time. Cycling is the same today as it always has been...positives among riders, the cycling powers abusing cyclists, nationalism showing it's face, and gossip , gossip, gossip.
    I am a fan of Armstrong. Doped or not doped he did something I never saw before when it came to the TDF. Even Eddy didn't do it. I am a fan of excellence in sports. And he was excellent when it came to the TDF. And so was Lemond, but Lemond won 3 TDF's, not 7.

8. Klodifan

Klodifan New Member

I don't hate Lemond. In fact, I appreciate his courageous outspokeness.

As bro said, almost all of the anti-lemond sentiments come from LA apostles. So bearing that in mind, one needs to take those remarks with a grain of salt.

9. Doctor.House

Doctor.House New Member

Only morons hate people they do NOT know.

Greg succeeded in a filthy dirty business (sport entertainment). He is still commercially successful and a long time father/husband and cycling icon.

As far as we know Greg did not abuse cow blood in order to win a bike race.

Lance Armstrong believers must deal with his pro-doping contradictions, bullying of whistleblowers, SCA testimony, doping allegations, cow blood & insulin included, doped confirmed, doper confession teammates, flunked EPO tests, flunked corticosteroid tests, rumors of RSR-13 chemo/red cell enhancer research, convicted doper doctor Ferrari, and questionable Nike dog-fighter endorsement.

Greg Lemond is easy to root for if cow blood makes you puke. Lance is preferred if Polypharmacy and Life Science, tax deductable cover ups excite you. LIVE WRONG!

Will Geoghegan can't help Lance on these questions.

10. knonfs

knonfs New Member

I don't!

I was a kid when Lemond won his first TDF, and then the second and so on. Can you imagine a 5th grader reading the newspaper? Waiting anxiously for those 30 min of WEEKLY TDF coverage?

Lemond could've won more TDF, no questions about it; let’s not forget that at the time he was by himself, no USA sponsors, and riding in ALL races, not just the TDF.

That's how I remember him as a kid :)

11. tasr

tasr New Member

You don’t get it, do you?

Peoples opinions are like iceholes………everyone has one. Read the responses in this thread and you’ll get the point. What some people will write will always amaze me. Get over what others think about him. It only matters what you think and be positive about it.

Grey was my inspiration in racing at the age of 24. I had been riding for a few years before he won the Tour. Now at 45 my health is great because of having a positive out look, hard training and winning a few races. I can say anything bad about Greg or Lance. As a matter of fact I can say this……….LiveStrong

Anybody that brings hope to the suffering is not a bad person in my book.

12. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

...um, eddy was on his way to another tdf victory (his sixth) when he was punched by a fan, lost time and ultimately the tour (1975) while riding with a broken jaw. he also rode and won the other major stage races instead of pointing his training for one major race every year.

the same can be said of lemond's career to a lesser degree given his wins in a career. where does your beloved armstrong stack up in that regard?

13. wolfix

wolfix New Member

Cycling has changed since Lemond's time. Riders are far more specialized then they were back then.
    Armstrong also won a World's.
    But the thread is about Lemond being dislike by some cycling fans. I was a big Lemond fan. He was a great rider. I rode in a few races with him when he was a junior. We had some mutual friends.
    Lemond's popularity has decreased dramatically over the past several years in the US. Watch what Trek does with the Lemond brand of bikes they own......
    All this "coulda" , "woulda", and "ifs" about a riders career is wasted internet ink. Lemond won 3 TDF's. Armstrong won 7 and retired at the top of his game.

14. Cycler6n

Cycler6n New Member

EVERYONE says Armstrong won more tdf's, unlike armstrong, Lemond, well, theres too many to name, so heres a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemond#Major_achievements_and_accolades
    Unlike Armstrong, Lemond went public to testify against doping at the cost of his personal life. Armstrong was a talented rider, but he was doping, and we all know it.

15. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Greg leMond enjoys a lot of respect as a rider : I've spoken to a number of riders who rode against Greg and three of them said that he was the best rider of his generation in the world.
    One rider said that in his opinion Greg was a better rider than Hinault and that for his accident, Greg's palmares would be up there with Hinault.
    Another rider said that on his day, he could win any race he chose to (GT, one day, stage race).

I've also spoken with collegues close to the peloton (not riders): again the opinions expressed about LeMond were mostly positive views.
    LeMond is viewed as being co-operative, accessible and happy to help out with advice on training etc.

That's my tuppence worth.

16. knonfs

knonfs New Member

Don't forget that he was asked to NOT race the TDF (1975?), just to bring the public interest back, it seems people were tired of seeing him win year after year.

17. knonfs

knonfs New Member

Let me ask you this question, how many other races beside TDF did L A raced; while he was on his "PEAK"?

It's hard for me to claim that he is the best of the best in the cycling sports, when he ONLY trained fir the TDF, all year long. While others were racing and supporting their teams.

18. tasr

tasr New Member

Well said!!!!!!!!

Looking at ones accomplishments is the right thing. Why does the world want to live in chaos by focusing on the negative? Maybe I am wrong, but nobody here has won a TDF.

19. Cycler6n

Cycler6n New Member

Nothin wrong with a little debate :p And I agree with you

20. Coke Zero

Coke Zero New Member

Here's some LA trivia: LA was on an episode of Overhaulin' and when he was being duped into the scheme, one of the show's host played an inspector or something and tried to get LA to sign a yellow jersey. LA replied a bit rudely that he wouldn't sign it because it would just be sold on ebay. At the end of the day though, Lance...score one suped up Camaro (courtesy of Sheryl Crow), host...still zero.