Why does every one hate Greg Lemond?

I am too young to have seen Greg Lemond in a race but since getting into the sport I have come to respect and appreciate what he has done for US Cycling.

I may not be an expert on all things Lemond, but I do know that he went to Eurpoe to train and become proficient at cycling during a time when America didn't aknowledge the sport that I have come to love.

He took his training and won the TDF twice and could be credited with single-handedly making the sport of cycling relevant in the US.

Had it not been for the pioneering efforts of Greg Lemond paving the way for the next generation of riders (including Lance Armstrong) the state of the sport in the United States may be very different.

Forget about doping, allegations, interviews, public opinion, Trek and L.A. and respect the man for his contributions to the sport.

Coke Zero said:
Here's some LA trivia: LA was on an episode of Overhaulin' and when he was being duped into the scheme, one of the show's host played an inspector or something and tried to get LA to sign a yellow jersey. LA replied a bit rudely that he wouldn't sign it because it would just be sold on ebay. At the end of the day though, Lance...score one suped up Camaro (courtesy of Sheryl Crow), host...still zero.

GTO, not Camaro. and i like how Lance says, "You don't do e-bay do you?" ..No Lance, that'd be Team Postal.

Overhaulin: Lance Armstrong : Video : TLC

tonyzackery said:

He's an iconoclast, and those folks are never popular in the short term, but in the long term LeMond will be held in esteem, IMO.

Lastly, "everyone" does not hate Greg LeMond. I don't hate him...Those folks that do should look elsewhere and focus on real heroes in society - especially not athletes/entertainers, etc...

Well said... +1.
And as to folks being "wound too tightly" that is true too. We are, unfortunately, awash in media today that encourages and promotes extreme reactions to people, particularly anger and hatred.

I met Greg at a Special Olympics fund raiser several years back, I was impressed.
The kids really enjoyed his being there and biking with them around the parking
lot. Something they can talk about for a long time.

He also played with a high tech pedal powered boat. Got it over twenty mph a
couple times.

Andy Williams, Bobby Vinton and Mel Tillis were also there along with several
people from NASA.

Stormsgate said:
...we don't like him because he is going after Armstrong for the wrong reasons

yeah. the right reasons are because Armstrong is an egotistical, womanizing douchebag.

Lance Armostrong: the only man on Earth who can make himself sound like a total **** in his autobiography! Didn't he have an editor for "Its Not About The Bike"? Somebody who could say "Hey lance, I've been reading your first draft, and do you really want to come off sounding like such an arrogant *****?"

pinger said:
yeah. the right reasons are because Armstrong is an egotistical, womanizing douchebag.

Wow. What an intelligent, articulate first post.......oh, wait: it's none of those things.

what does the fact that it was my first post have to do with anything, alienator?

and I have read some of your comments; yeah, you're the epitomy of "intelligent and articulate"

you must ride a fixie.

pinger said:

Lance Armostrong: the only man on Earth who can make himself sound like a total **** in his autobiography! Didn't he have an editor for "Its Not About The Bike"? Somebody who could say "Hey lance, I've been reading your first draft, and do you really want to come off sounding like such an arrogant *****?"
Your the one my friend that seems to have a ego problem:eek::eek:

pinger said:
what does the fact that it was my first post have to do with anything, alienator?

and I have read some of your comments; yeah, you're the epitomy of "intelligent and articulate"

you must ride a fixie.

Your going to make a lot of friends

why is that Stormgate? because I bagged on fixies?

my issue with Lance is the whole surviving cancer, then dumping his wife who stood by him while he had cancer, then hooking up with Sheryl Crow, then dumping her when she got cancer, and then f***ing the Olsen twins and any other barely legal age gal who got within Century distance of Austin, TX, thing.

he's an amazing cyclist, but seems to be a bit of a turd as a human being.

so was it the fixie comment, or is your nose covered in Lance's Chamois Butter?

pinger said:

my issue with Lance is the whole surviving cancer, then dumping his wife who stood by him while he had cancer, then hooking up with Sheryl Crow, then dumping her when she got cancer, and then f***ing the Olsen twins and any other barely legal age gal who got within Century distance of Austin, TX, thing.

...naw.....its because your talking stupid. Its like me saying you run around on your girl friend and wife and you like to be with funny farm animals. I don't know you and a lot of those things you said were just your opinion. Not fact bozo!:D

pinger said:

are those tattoos on your arms pinger?

a few points:

1) "bozo"? I never name-called on you. Lance yes, but not you.

2) I have read "Its Not About The Bike" and his bragging about some of his arrogant behavior, especially in the early years in Europe, is not mere opinion

3) neither is the timeline of the whole cancer, divorce, Sheryl Crow, her cancer, him dumping her, him banging anything with a vagina

4) neither is him banging anything in Austin with a vagina; I am from Austin and have seen him out and about

5) you saying such things about me is different; I am not a public persona

so, now that I've laid down the logic, Stormgate, allow me to go ad hominem like you did: go f*** yourself.

pinger said:
a few points:

2) I have read "Its Not About The Bike" and his bragging about some of his arrogant behavior, especially in the early years in Europe, is not mere opinion

3) neither is the timeline of the whole cancer, divorce, Sheryl Crow, her cancer, him dumping her, him banging anything with a vagina

4) neither is him banging anything in Austin with a vagina; I am from Austin and have seen him out and about

so, now that I've laid down the logic, Stormgate, allow me to go ad hominem like you did: go f*** yourself.
lolololololol bring it on *****!!!

pinger said:
a few points:

lolololo are you in the Air force pinger?

pinger said:
a few points:

You are one arrogant judgmental guy. Little man syndrome?

The one's I know hate him because he put his name on this frame and I drop them all because of it:D