Why does my bike weigh so much?

j_erhardt

May 16, 2004
I've never weighted it before and finally used a large shipping scale at work - 20.65 lbs. I should be the last one to be worried about bike weight, but I was curious none the less. Here's what it is:
Specialized Epic Pro - carbon fiber (painted dark metallic green from around '94) 56cm
Specialized AL fork with threaded steerer tube
Shimano ultegra headset
Control tech quill stem at 120mm
TTT forma bars
Campy record levers 8sp (converted to 9 this year)
old Mavic front derailleur (looks cool and it still works)
Campy Athena crank 172.5mm 53/39
Athena BB
Chorus brakes '04
chorus rear derailleur 8sp (works fine with 9sp)
Flite Ti saddle
American classic seatpost.
Wheels: Record hubs, rear is '04 9/10 sp. 36 spokes DT 14/15 Mavic Open Pro rim - weights 983gm without tire,tube,rim strip, cogs
Front is from around '94 32 spokes DT or wheelsmith 14/15 Mavic Reflex clincher rim - weights 855gm without tire/tube/rim strip
old old old Look pedals.

There certainly are some things here that aren't light such as fork, stem, pedals, but it seems odd. I confirmed the weight with a less exact scale which showed 20.5 lbs. What do you guys think? What are the really heavy items on this bike? I feel there is little reason to buy super light wheels since I still weight about 220. (10 years ago as a Cat 3, I was around 175-180)
Also, there seem to be plenty of "special" wheels that weight not too much less for a lot more money.
Thanks,
John

j_erhardt said:
I've never weighted it before and finally used a large shipping scale at work - 20.65 lbs. I should be the last one to be worried about bike weight, but I was curious none the less. Here's what it is:
Specialized Epic Pro - carbon fiber (painted dark metallic green from around '94) 56cm
Specialized AL fork with threaded steerer tube
Shimano ultegra headset
Control tech quill stem at 120mm
TTT forma bars
Campy record levers 8sp (converted to 9 this year)
old Mavic front derailleur (looks cool and it still works)
Campy Athena crank 172.5mm 53/39
Athena BB
Chorus brakes '04
chorus rear derailleur 8sp (works fine with 9sp)
Flite Ti saddle
American classic seatpost.
Wheels: Record hubs, rear is '04 9/10 sp. 36 spokes DT 14/15 Mavic Open Pro rim - weights 983gm without tire,tube,rim strip, cogs
Front is from around '94 32 spokes DT or wheelsmith 14/15 Mavic Reflex clincher rim - weights 855gm without tire/tube/rim strip
old old old Look pedals.

There certainly are some things here that aren't light such as fork, stem, pedals, but it seems odd. I confirmed the weight with a less exact scale which showed 20.5 lbs. What do you guys think? What are the really heavy items on this bike? I feel there is little reason to buy super light wheels since I still weight about 220. (10 years ago as a Cat 3, I was around 175-180)
Also, there seem to be plenty of "special" wheels that weight not too much less for a lot more money.
Thanks,
John
The weight isn't bad for the vintage and what's on it. You don't save alot with any one part,but by replacing everything with lighter parts all of which add up. 220 pounders shouldn't be thinking weight weenie stuff anyway. Old saying: stuff breaks,light stuff breaks faster, even faster when pounded by clydesdale.

To me, a 20.5 lb bike, with pedals, really isn't a heavy bike. If you spent $1000 for all new stuff, and saved 2.5 lbs as a result, that's only a 1% savings. Seems a lot to spend just to go up hills 1% faster. Guess it all depends on who would notice.

Agree with boudreaux....durability beats light weight hands down, unless of course you're a sponsored pro who gets new stuff at the first sign of wear.

boudreaux said:
The weight isn't bad for the vintage and what's on it. You don't save alot with any one part,but by replacing everything with lighter parts all of which add up. 220 pounders shouldn't be thinking weight weenie stuff anyway. Old saying: stuff breaks,light stuff breaks faster, even faster when pounded by clydesdale.

I know. I got a long way to go before I get myself down to the weight I used to be. I was just curious since we had a scale at work.

John