Why does the ball of my foot hurt

pothole

Dec 13, 2001
Why does the ball of my foot hurt It's actually swollen after the ride? For the last 2 weeks I notice a pain in the ball of my foot after doing 100km sessions. I did not change the setup of my bike or put new cleats onto my shoes :'(

See'ing that you have'nt changed anything, it could be some sort of inflammation because of over use. Maybe do some pressure point examination to pin point the problem spot, and then apply some muscle cream.

[quote author=Vo2 link=board=18;threadid=2484;start=0#21310 date=1033378468]<br />See'ing that you have'nt changed anything, it could be some sort of inflammation because of over use. Maybe do some pressure point examination to pin point the problem spot, and then apply some muscle cream.<br />[/quote]<br />I agree with that....especially if you dont normally ride that far in one session

I knew I'd dropped that drawing pin...<br /><br />Obvious I know, but have you checked the soled of your shoes for cracks?<br />It could also have to do with extra heat, foot swelling..

Steve. No training is not the problem. I'm on my bike every morning and every afternoon (rest on fridays). Weekends I will do a +-80 km on the Saturday and a +-120km on a Sunday, and my shoes is 6 months old. I wonder if it's not that I've changed my paddling action without noticing

[quote author=pothole link=board=18;threadid=2484;start=0#21318 date=1033384346]<br />Steve. No training is not the problem. I'm on my bike every morning and every afternoon (rest on fridays). Weekends I will do a +-80 km on the Saturday and a +-120km on a Sunday, and my shoes is 6 months old. I wonder if it's not that I've changed my paddling action without noticing<br />[/quote]<br />Maybe you do your shoes up to tight?.....seems odd to only show its face for the last two weeks though, its not like you've only just started training!

Yes, it puzzles me, I'll try tonight to "loosen" the botton 2 straps as well. And it's only my right foot.

You should treat most foot injuries using the RICE formula:<br />Rest<br />Ice<br />Compression<br />Elevation<br /><br />Your condition sounds like &quot;Metatarsalgia&quot;. Click here and here for some info and possible treatment.

Or try RICED....<br /><br />The D stands for Doctor!<br /><br />Did you fix it yet?

Hi, no it still hurt, but I'm now training for a big local race (Sanlam/Burger 10/11/02) and I afraid to go to the doc. I just have to keep going and bite the bullet

Doctors almost always tell you to stop riding! Can you see a sports physio or your national governing bodies physio who can advise you? Its good to get advice from someone who has cycling/sports experiance. I wouldn't ignore it though as it may get worse! :'(

Hi Pothole<br />I had the same experience in my left foot for several weeks prior to the Argus this year. The pain was quite bad, but only while riding and after about 60-70km. I saw an ortho guy who x-rayed it and told me I had developed a bony &quot;spur&quot; that needed to be surgically removed. As I regard ANY operations as radical, I declined. Some weeks later it went away unassisted and hasn't returned. ;D Never did find out the cause! ::)

Hi<br />Last summer i had a bit the same problem, I felt pain in my feet when i was riding. I found out what it was. The shoe wasn't set to my foot. one thing you can do is put your socks into water before you start. It really helps<br /><br />Jelle