Why does this group have such long threads?

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote

> But not in the same words, that's the important thing. Pete's post
> made me laugh (specifically the bit about ranting to SWMBO - I do that
> too!).
>
> Is that not of value in itself?

Yes, I'm all for a world full of laughter. Tell me what SWMBO stands for
and I'll see if I can join in the fun.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > But not in the same words, that's the important thing. Pete's post
> > made me laugh (specifically the bit about ranting to SWMBO - I do that
> > too!).
> >
> > Is that not of value in itself?

> Yes, I'm all for a world full of laughter. Tell me what SWMBO stands for
> and I'll see if I can join in the fun.

She Who Must Be Obeyed. We don't have one of those in this house,
instead we have a HWTNNOWIS. (He Who Takes No Notice Of What I
Say)

Juliette
--

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 19:18:46 +0100, "AndyP"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>Yes, I'm all for a world full of laughter. Tell me what SWMBO stands for
>and I'll see if I can join in the fun.

"She Who Must Be Obeyed" from H Rider Haggard's "She" - which of
course few of us have read, knowing it instead from its use by one
Horace Rumpole to describe Mrs Hilda Rumpole in the books by John
Mortimer and on the TV, played, rather memorably, by one-eyed
spud-faced Antipodean thespian Leo McKern.

Rumpole was also known for quoting from the Oxford Book of English
Verse, in the Quiller Couch edition, and his fondness for Pomeroy's (a
wine bar) claret, which he claimed had kept him regular for years.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is equivalent to "a popular beat
combo, m'lud" ;-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

"AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > But not in the same words, that's the important thing. Pete's post
> > made me laugh (specifically the bit about ranting to SWMBO - I do that
> > too!).
> >
> > Is that not of value in itself?

> Yes, I'm all for a world full of laughter. Tell me what SWMBO stands for
> and I'll see if I can join in the fun.

She Who Must Be Obeyed, aka The Missus.
I don't know if Spitting Image coined the phrase in respect of Margaret
Thatcher?

Pete

in message <[email protected]>, Juliette
('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> > But not in the same words, that's the important thing. Pete's post
>> > made me laugh (specifically the bit about ranting to SWMBO - I do
>> > that too!).
>> >
>> > Is that not of value in itself?

>> Yes, I'm all for a world full of laughter. Tell me what SWMBO stands
>> for and I'll see if I can join in the fun.

> She Who Must Be Obeyed. We don't have one of those in this house,
> instead we have a HWTNNOWIS. (He Who Takes No Notice Of What I
> Say)

Eh? What? Did someone speak?

/-\ You have discovered a security flaw in a Microsoft product. You
|-| can report this issue to our security tesm. Would you like to
| | * Be completely ignored (default)?
| | * Receive a form email full of platitudes about how much we care?
\_/ * Spend hours helping us fix this problem for free?

in message <[email protected]>, Peter B
('[email protected]') wrote:

> "AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> > But not in the same words, that's the important thing. Pete's post
>> > made me laugh (specifically the bit about ranting to SWMBO - I do
>> > that too!).
>> >
>> > Is that not of value in itself?

>> Yes, I'm all for a world full of laughter. Tell me what SWMBO stands
>> for and I'll see if I can join in the fun.

> She Who Must Be Obeyed, aka The Missus.
> I don't know if Spitting Image coined the phrase in respect of
> Margaret Thatcher?

Rider Haggard, I think, in a book just called 'She'.

;; This email may contain confidential or otherwise privileged
;; information, though, quite frankly, if you're not the intended
;; recipient and you've got nothing better to do than read other
;; folks' emails then I'm glad to have brightened up your sad little
;; life a tiny bit.

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 23:05:09 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
() wrote:

>in message <[email protected]>, Peter B
>('[email protected]') wrote:
>

>> "AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote

>>> Yes, I'm all for a world full of laughter. Tell me what SWMBO stands
>>> for and I'll see if I can join in the fun.

>> She Who Must Be Obeyed, aka The Missus.
>> I don't know if Spitting Image coined the phrase in respect of
>> Margaret Thatcher?

>Rider Haggard, I think, in a book just called 'She'.

John Mortimer popularised that term as relating to spouses in his
Rumpole books.

--
Matt K.
"And on the seventh day, He exited from append mode."

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 20:22:45 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

>On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 19:18:46 +0100, "AndyP"
><[email protected]> wrote in message
><[email protected]>:
>
>>Yes, I'm all for a world full of laughter. Tell me what SWMBO stands for
>>and I'll see if I can join in the fun.

>"She Who Must Be Obeyed" from H Rider Haggard's "She" - which of
>course few of us have read,

I'm just reading the first sequael even as we speak. :) I don't
particularly recommend either of them, except as historical
curiosities, mind you.

And I really ought to add them to my 'free ebooks' web page.

--
Cheers,
Euan

Whingin' Pom wrote:

>>Rider Haggard, I think, in a book just called 'She'.

> John Mortimer popularised that term as relating to spouses in his
> Rumpole books.

Henry Rider Haggard wrote She in 1887 (made into the film She with
Ursula Andress as Queen Ayesha aka SWMBO. The book influenced the
thinking of both Freud and Jung on the role of the female. John
Mortimer borrowed and popularised the term with his character Horace
Rumpole who referred to his wife Hilda as She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Tony

> "She Who Must Be Obeyed" from H Rider Haggard's "She" - which of
> course few of us have read,

Was that the one with two mountains known as Shebas Breasts in it? If so I
read it as a lad and for some reason that much has stuck in my mind ;-)

(For our younger readers: When I were lad just the printed word "breast" was
worthy of a snigger)

Pete

Peter B wrote:

> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>"She Who Must Be Obeyed" from H Rider Haggard's "She" - which of
>>course few of us have read,

> Was that the one with two mountains known as Shebas Breasts in it? If so I
> read it as a lad and for some reason that much has stuck in my mind ;-)

That was King Solomon's Mines.

Tony

>She Who Must Be Obeyed. We don't have one of those in this house,
>instead we have a HWTNNOWIS. (He Who Takes No Notice Of What I
>Say)

I have one of those.... particularly in relation to my *need* for a Trice....

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$